Sponsored

DashCam hardwire fuse

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
hey all! finally got my 21 gt today!! so in my 2014 i hardwired my dashcam to a fuse that was only on with ignition. forget which? maybe 10 or something. can’t remember. either way, a couple questions. anyone know which fuse i should tap into for ignition only power, and is it in the same spot as they were on the s197 which was the passengers side kick panel?
thanks all!!
Sponsored

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
hey all! finally got my 21 gt today!! so in my 2014 i hardwired my dashcam to a fuse that was only on with ignition. forget which? maybe 10 or something. can’t remember. either way, a couple questions. anyone know which fuse i should tap into for ignition only power, and is it in the same spot as they were on the s197 which was the passengers side kick panel?
thanks all!!
Congrats on the new whip!

Here's a good video. The fuse locations on my 2019 were a bit different but just look in your manual for the same circuit and you will be fine.

Blackvue DR900X-2CH dash cam install, operation & review on a 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 CFTP! - YouTube

Last edited:

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
image000000.jpg

Here's my 2020 GT.

It looks like one tap in in slot 3 and the other in slot 35. If I recall correctly slot 3 the 12v constant and is responsible for power seats and slot 35 is 12v ACC that was empty on my car. Be sure to a 2021 fuse diagram (should be in your owner's manual) and a multi-meter to verify your setup is the same as mine.

My ground is behind that trim panel that is on the right side of the picture.

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
image000000.jpg

Here's my 2020 GT.

It looks like one tap in in slot 3 and the other in slot 35. If I recall correctly slot 3 the 12v constant and is responsible for power seats and slot 35 is 12v ACC that was empty on my car. Be sure to a 2021 fuse diagram (should be in your owner's manual) and a multi-meter to verify your setup is the same as mine.

My ground is behind that trim panel that is on the right side of the picture.
Did you install this yourself? I’ve just found out that my auto elec is retired and I’m not the best at these sort of things. I have the hardwire kit from blackvue but what else would I need to attempt this install myself? How difficult is it?

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Did you install this yourself? I’ve just found out that my auto elec is retired and I’m not the best at these sort of things. I have the hardwire kit from blackvue but what else would I need to attempt this install myself? How difficult is it?
Super easy for me. The only equipment I needed was a multimeter to verify the voltages on the fuses and a tool to remove the ground bolt of my choice.

Is this the kit you purchased?
https://blackvue.com/product/hard-wiring-power-cable/

If so, yours will be harder than mine since you don't have built in fuse-taps and will have to splice into a 12v Accessory wire and a 12v Constant wire.

My dashcam vendor makes the kit below which makes hardwiring super easy. It took me maybe 5 minutes of labor to have everything up and running (minus testing and identifying fuses). Taking the trim pieces off and on was the actual difficult part.

https://streetguardian.info/product/sg9663dc-hardwire-kit-add-parking-mode/

Sponsored

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
Super easy for me. The only equipment I needed was a multimeter to verify the voltages on the fuses and a tool to remove the ground bolt of my choice.

Is this the kit you purchased?
https://blackvue.com/product/hard-wiring-power-cable/

If so, yours will be harder than mine since you don't have built in fuse-taps and will have to splice into a 12v Accessory wire and a 12v Constant wire.

My dashcam vendor makes the kit below which makes hardwiring super easy. It took me maybe 5 minutes of labor to have everything up and running (minus testing and identifying fuses). Taking the trim pieces off and on was the actual difficult part.

https://streetguardian.info/product/sg9663dc-hardwire-kit-add-parking-mode/
This is what I’ve purchased https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn...vue-DR750X-1CH-32-Plus-32GB-Dash-Cam/p/105763
It comes with cables included for hardwiring but I don’t think I have the “fuse taps”
1637056548292.jpeg

This is my hardwiring kit.
I don’t mind paying for someone to install it professionally but I don’t like any Joe Schmoe messing with my car unless I know them and I don’t have an auto elec that I trust atm, since my usual guy retired.

EDIT: I just noticed that my cable looks the same as the one you linked.

BTW: Is the kit you linked compatible with the Blackvue cams?

Last edited:
OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so howcome you tapped two fuses? the setup i have was from old shark so what it was is you pull out a fuse, plug this thing in, and plug i think two fuses into the thing you plugged in and that’s that. on my 2014 i only tapped off one fuse. hmm

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
so howcome you tapped two fuses? the setup i have was from old shark so what it was is you pull out a fuse, plug this thing in, and plug i think two fuses into the thing you plugged in and that’s that. on my 2014 i only tapped off one fuse. hmm
You need two fuses to safety enable parking mode if your dashcam supports that feature. The way it works in my camera is that rather then taking a continuous 30/60fps recording the camera instead goes into a low power mode and takes an image once every 5/10/15/30 seconds and presents you with a slideshow when you go to review the footage. This prevents you from having a dead battery when you go to start the car. A good camera should also sense the car's battery's voltage and shut itself down once it detects the battery has been drained enough.

The way it knows which mode to be in is by sensing that the 12V ACC circuit is off (which means the car has been parked and the engine has been shut off) so it starts slowly tricking power from the 12v constant circuit that you tapped into.

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
This is what I’ve purchased https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn...vue-DR750X-1CH-32-Plus-32GB-Dash-Cam/p/105763
It comes with cables included for hardwiring but I don’t think I have the “fuse taps”
1637056548292.jpeg

This is my hardwiring kit.
I don’t mind paying for someone to install it professionally but I don’t like any Joe Schmoe messing with my car unless I know them and I don’t have an auto elec that I trust atm, since my usual guy retired.

EDIT: I just noticed that my cable looks the same as the one you linked.

BTW: Is the kit you linked compatible with the Blackvue cams?
I'd recommend looking at the YouTube video posted above. It looks like you can just crimp the wire ends into the Fuse-Taps. You need to purchase yourself some Micro2 Fuse Taps in order to do so. If you don't have a crimper you can just squeeze really hard with some pliers but the connection might not be as secure. The only thing I'd recommend is adding some shrink tubing before crimping the connection in order to add some more strength to the connection.

The kit I linked is not compatible with yours. It looks like your dashcam takes a barrel style power connector while mine takes a micro-usb.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need two fuses to safety enable parking mode if your dashcam supports that feature. The way it works in my camera is that rather then taking a continuous 30/60fps recording the camera instead goes into a low power mode and takes an image once every 5/10/15/30 seconds and presents you with a slideshow when you go to review the footage. This prevents you from having a dead battery when you go to start the car. A good camera should also sense the car's battery's voltage and shut itself down once it detects the battery has been drained enough.

The way it knows which mode to be in is by sensing that the 12V ACC circuit is off (which means the car has been parked and the engine has been shut off) so it starts slowly tricking power from the 12v constant circuit that you tapped into.
neat. yeah mines a Rove, nothing special but it gets the job done.

i just need to look in the manual i guess to research which one fuse is an ignition only fuse so the camera will turn off when the car turns off. i had that in my 2014 and it was great,. worked well.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what fuses do you guys use for a hardwire? i’m looking for accessory/ignition only, and itll power off when acc is off. some poeple say 23, but don’t like that bc its the windows etc. there are spares…i can’t seem to find if any of those spares are acc+ignition only, that i can just tap them? i think i did that with a spare in my 2014 but i can’t even remember how i did it now

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
On my 2019, fuse 23 is where I have my amp turn-on wire connected, so it goes off when the ignition is off and the doors are opened.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my 2019, fuse 23 is where I have my amp turn-on wire connected, so it goes off when the ignition is off and the doors are opened.
cool that’s what i read people say. ok so i guess i’ll attempt to tap that.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion