Dash cameras for convertibles.

MR YUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Convertible
I am thinking of adding a 2 channel (front/rear) dash camera in my 2020 GT convertible. Has anyone done this? If so, what did you use and how did you mount the cameras? Anyone have any suggestions or what I should be aware of?
Sponsored

Fasteddiec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium convertible
I am thinking of adding a 2 channel (front/rear) dash camera in my 2020 GT convertible. Has anyone done this? If so, what did you use and how did you mount the cameras? Anyone have any suggestions or what I should be aware of?
I just added an Apeman C450 front view only to my 2019 GT convertible 2 weeks ago. Articles I read on the rear view dashcam indicate they need to be mounted at the rear window, and said you get spotty optical performance looking to the rear if mounted at the front. Got the Apeman on Amazon for $45. Works so far. Good luck!

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
Does it mount
I just added an Apeman C450 front view only to my 2019 GT convertible 2 weeks ago. Articles I read on the rear view dashcam indicate they need to be mounted at the rear window, and said you get spotty optical performance looking to the rear if mounted at the front. Got the Apeman on Amazon for $45. Works so far. Good luck!
Does it mount cleanly with the Premium Driver Assist cluster around the rearview mirror?

OP
OP
MR YUK

MR YUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your feedback.

I have been doing a little research since my initial post. I have found several people reporting issues with batteries in high temperature conditions. So it sounds like the way to go is finding a camera with capacitors instead of batteries. Since I have a convertible, I'm looking for a waterproof rear facing camera. Also looking for parking monitor and G Shock Sensor. And wanting to keep it somewhat reasonably priced. I also have the Driver Assist cluster in the rear view mirror area, so mounting it on the mirror is out of the question. So far no luck. If anyone has found or knows of something meeting these requirements, please let me know.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I have been looking off and on for the past two years without much success. I think you have two choices, either an exterior rear mounted camera, which would likely require drilling, either for the camera or wires or both, or creating a mount at the back seat, which would limit the rear view, at least with the top up. The latter would likely require a curved mount which would bring the camera forward, i.e., it would end up “sitting” on the padding between the seats, so as to be out of the way of the top when it is put down. Of course, maybe someone could come up with a way to tap into the existing back up camera, but I’m no electronics expert and don’t know what the challenges would be to get it to talk to the front camera.

Sponsored

Fasteddiec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium convertible
Does it mount

Does it mount cleanly with the Premium Driver Assist cluster around the rearview mirror?
I mounted the Apeman with the suction mount to the windshield. I looked for camera mounting kits, smallest width kit I could find requires 0.4”, not sure that one is thin enough to fit on the exposed mirror mount.
94DA6820-1D7F-48B8-ABE1-70B68D7023D7.jpeg

OP
OP
MR YUK

MR YUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
I pulled the trigger on a dash camera. I bought a Thinkware FA200 with a waterproof rear camera option. (Looks like this rear camera has been discontinued so there may not be many left). Also bought the GPS antenna. I will update when I get it installed. I was also looking at the Rexing M1 and M1 Pro, but didn't think they would work well with the safety sensors on the windshield. Also, the added weight on the rear view mirror could cause vibration according to a review I read.

EZ-GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eliam
Vehicle(s)
Whipple charged 2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Aukey DR02, but didn’t get the rear one for that same reason. They claim it can be mounted on the license plate frame but does require drilling so have been hesitant to add the second one.

A8D7B710-9922-4AD9-A60F-1EA59A5AF445.jpeg
Sponsored