Carbon fiber spoiler for convertibles?

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Anyone know of a track pack / MMD V-Series style carbon fiber spoiler that will go on a convertible? Every time I see one I like, it specifies that they don't fit convertibles. TruFiber has one for the same price as the MMD V-Series, and it looks very similar. However, it specifies it doesn't fit a convertible. I have a shorty antenna so I was hoping that would eliminate the problem. I spoke with TruFiber and they're telling me the convertible trunk is different from the coupe trunk, so it doesn't work because it doesn't fit the trunk itself.

Anyone know of any that have been tested and proven as fitting on a convertible?
Sponsored

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
So strange, on AM's website the MMD V-Series says it fits all Mustang models...how is that possible if the vert trunk is different?

Here is the quote from AM:
"Application. This Pre-Painted Modern Muscle Design V Series Rear Decklid Spoiler is designed to fit all fastback and convertible 2015-2019 Mustangs including the V6, EcoBoost, GT and GT350 models.
Application Note. The Rear Spoiler may come in contact with the factory antenna when the trunk is opened on Convertible models."

I also just noticed this from AM:
"Drilling May Be Required. The MMD V Series Rear Spoiler was specifically designed to reuse the existing holes left in the deck lid by the stock wing (if so equipped) on Fastback models. The spoiler easily installs with a combination of hardware and 3M automotive bonding tape. A drilling template is included for those models not equipped with a factory installed wing. Convertible models equipped with a stock wing will not be able to reuse the factory holes and will require additional drilling for proper installation."

https://www.americanmuscle.com/mmd-v-series-prepainted-rear-spoiler-1516.html

Looks like maybe the holes don't line up and you have to drill additional holes on the vert? Maybe TruFiber doesn't offer it for the vert because they don't provide a template for the additional holes required?

OP
OP
trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
It's all a mess. My convertible came with the decklid spoiler. I currently have the MMD V-Series and it 1) re-used the original holes and 2) did not require additional drilling. There actually were more holes than the MMD used, but because of the 3M tape all around and the pressure from the 3? screws that also hold it in place, it's all good.

This is what TruFiber told me by email:

"The spoiler will not fit the convertible trunk because the convertible trunk is different. There is really no modifying that can be done. It was not meant to fit the convertible trunk."

But then how can the MMD V-Series fit all models?

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
I'll take pictures of mine and post them when it arrives this week, maybe that will tell us something about how/where it mounts.

OP
OP
trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Thanks! I appreciate it. If I can get it to mount fine, I'd be interested in getting one.

Sponsored

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
This is what TruFiber told me by email:

"The spoiler will not fit the convertible trunk because the convertible trunk is different. There is really no modifying that can be done. It was not meant to fit the convertible trunk."
Huh... So that's why I had to drill, lol...

Not the same spoiler, but similar idea. Of 4 holes, 1 didn't line up - closest to the drive side. Measured twice, drilled once - done. Had to hammer down the sheet metal a bit as it was deformed from the drilling but it was fine.

If you open the trunk fully, it does hit the antenna - no big deal, the antenna is flexible. And a few times, we opened the trunk all the way, then closed it and the antenna gets stuck under the spoiler edge. Again, no big deal - it flexes - just open the trunk, move it out from under and close. More of a doh! moment then anything else.

Mine is the TruFiber - got it from lethal performance. It came with neither installation instructions nor hardware. We figured it out and just got bolts from the hardware store after I called them to get the right bolt size. Bolts came 2 days later (I had already taken off the factory one so I didn't want to wait for the new bolts in the mail). 4 bolts, 4 washers and it was done. Took longer to get the factory glue / double sided tape crap off then to install the new one (after we got back from the hardware store).

3 months later now, still looks as good as new; get's a lot of attention. Probably one of my more favorite mods.

IMG_0767.jpeg
IMG_0768.jpeg

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the DCA57, very nice!

djtomy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
17 vert GB GT cali Ed. Roush SC
It's all a mess. My convertible came with the decklid spoiler. I currently have the MMD V-Series and it 1) re-used the original holes and 2) did not require additional drilling. There actually were more holes than the MMD used, but because of the 3M tape all around and the pressure from the 3? screws that also hold it in place, it's all good.

But then how can the MMD V-Series fit all models?
trojannemo, I'm thinking of getting the MMD V-Series rear spoiler in Grabber blue for my GT vert. So, I guess it fits just fine with the holes lining up with OEM wing just like this one?.. Also, Is that the Roush hood scoop you have on your vert? and MMD V-Series in Side scoops in Grabber blue? its looks great!
IMG_8437.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Ride looks great!

To answer some of your questions:

- my EcoBoost came with the lip spoiler. That had four screws, two or three aligment pegs, and two tabs. So lots of holes on the trunk lid. The MMD V-Series only used two of the many existing holes, but covered all the others by the sheer surface area of it. So I don't know for sure that it will cover the holes from your wing, but i'd be willing to bet the answer is yes.

- both the hood scoop and the side scoops are MMD V-Series scoops, pre-painted in Grabber Blue, purchased from American Muscle. You also have to buy the side scoop inserts, and I would strongly recommend you get them at the same time as the scoops - it's a bold face lie to say (like they do on their page) that the inserts can be installed with the side scoops already installed. I had to remove mine and spend hours cleaning off that 3m tape before re-applying.

I'm actually switching from the EB to a 5.0 now, and i'm transferring most things over. The EB hood has paint issues, so I'm not going to transfer the hood from one car to the other (plus i want the GT hood vents), so I'm leaving the hood scoop in the EB. But I will be buying it again for the 5.0. I could take off the side scoops and move them over - but I won't. I've realized that while I really, really like the look of the hood scoop, I didn't get into the look of the side scoops. So for my re-do now with the 5.0, i'm not doing a few things I did for the EB, side scoops is one of those things. For whatever that's worth.

Love those CS wheels. Very cool.

djtomy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
17 vert GB GT cali Ed. Roush SC
Ride looks great!

To answer some of your questions:

- my EcoBoost came with the lip spoiler. That had four screws, two or three aligment pegs, and two tabs. So lots of holes on the trunk lid. The MMD V-Series only used two of the many existing holes, but covered all the others by the sheer surface area of it. So I don't know for sure that it will cover the holes from your wing, but i'd be willing to bet the answer is yes.

- both the hood scoop and the side scoops are MMD V-Series scoops, pre-painted in Grabber Blue, purchased from American Muscle. You also have to buy the side scoop inserts, and I would strongly recommend you get them at the same time as the scoops - it's a bold face lie to say (like they do on their page) that the inserts can be installed with the side scoops already installed. I had to remove mine and spend hours cleaning off that 3m tape before re-applying.

I'm actually switching from the EB to a 5.0 now, and i'm transferring most things over. The EB hood has paint issues, so I'm not going to transfer the hood from one car to the other (plus i want the GT hood vents), so I'm leaving the hood scoop in the EB. But I will be buying it again for the 5.0. I could take off the side scoops and move them over - but I won't. I've realized that while I really, really like the look of the hood scoop, I didn't get into the look of the side scoops. So for my re-do now with the 5.0, i'm not doing a few things I did for the EB, side scoops is one of those things. For whatever that's worth.

Love those CS wheels. Very cool.

Thank you! I liked those wheels too. that actually helps me out a lot!! also saw your post on the smart top. I'm guessing that's a must have also.. I just purchased the car, so I'm trying to change it up. LMK if you want to sell me your side vents I'll be in W. Palm beach later this week.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I presumed that the convertible trunk lid is different just because one day when I opened the trunk I noticed a sticker on it which says "convertible". If the trunk lids were all the same, they wouldn't need that sticker.

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
The TruFiber DCA68 came in yesterday and here are a few pictures of the spoiler. It's extremely nice and was packaged very well, came with the spoiler + 4 x bolts, washers, lockwashers.
Trufiber 1.jpg
Trufiber 2.jpg
Trufiber 4.jpg
Trufiber 5.jpg
tryfiber 3.jpg
Sponsored