Damper mode--no detectable change

OP
OP

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The changes was not noticeable until I attended the GT350 Track Attack. I drove a 2019, and it is noticeable on a slalom course. I am sure that you will notice if you drive an autocross course and try a different mode on each run. It was entirely noticeable to me (throttle response and dampening) when I changed the mode from Track to Normal.
Definitely noticed the difference on the slalom at Track Attack, though I didn't have a '19 there and was paying more attention to the throttle and and steering response. Where I am missing the difference on this car is the stiffness. The 2016 would rattle my teeth in sport--slight overstatement.
Sponsored

squid678

Squid678
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2020 Explorer ST, 2018 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely noticed the difference on the slalom at Track Attack, though I didn't have a '19 there and was paying more attention to the throttle and and steering response. Where I am missing the difference on this car is the stiffness. The 2016 would rattle my teeth in sport--slight overstatement.
I recall that Ford did revise the MagneRide software for the spring/sway bar changes in the 2019. Perhaps they also smoothed out the program between modes compared to the 2016... not too sure

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Surprised all of you aren't always in "sport" unless you are on track. I never use normal.
Sport Mode in an R is a little different than a regular 350. Yes I have driven a regular 350 on the street. It's softer than the R. Sport Mode in an R is harsh on the street. I usually putt around in Normal but quickly switch to Sport when I hit some beautiful looking asphalt.

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Sport Mode in an R is a little different than a regular 350. Yes I have driven a regular 350 on the street. It's softer than the R. Sport Mode in an R is harsh on the street. I usually putt around in Normal but quickly switch to Sport when I hit some beautiful looking asphalt.
Yeah, my comment related only to a GT

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
I recall that Ford did revise the MagneRide software for the spring/sway bar changes in the 2019. Perhaps they also smoothed out the program between modes compared to the 2016... not too sure

Anybody have a source for more definitive info on these revisions?

Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
My ā€˜19 GT350 shows very little seat of pants difference between normal and sport on the street. Flip to track and itā€™s very noticeable.
I automatically go to sport after start up for the street.
I forgot but didnā€™t the track attack instructors remind us to go into track mode every time we went out? On a smooth racetrack itā€™s the bees knees.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My ā€˜19 GT350 shows very little seat of pants difference between normal and sport on the street. Flip to track and itā€™s very noticeable.
I automatically go to sport after start up for the street.
I forgot but didnā€™t the track attack instructors remind us to go into track mode every time we went out? On a smooth racetrack itā€™s the bees knees.
After all I read from the links above Iā€™m really looking forward to Track mode at speed.

OP
OP

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
After all I read from the links above Iā€™m really looking forward to Track mode at speed.
I sense there's more to it than pure speed. I take it relatively close to its top speed on occasion on the highway. It feels planted (down force), but the suspension does not feel as stiff as the MY16 did. Knowing now that many others have similar experiences, I'm inclined to think it's by design, but want to be sure.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I drove down to TN and did the Tail of the dragon and other mountain roads. There was definitely a difference with my 19 in normal vs sport. Especially the steering response, but throttle, suspension as well. We were really pushing the car through the turns and it was really noticeable. The reason I say this is because we were driving to our resort in normal mode and didn't realize that we had to drive thru 120 on the back end of the tail to get to our resort. Next thing you know I am in the Tail driving in normal mode.. We dot to drive the route every day we were there and it was in sport mode from then on...

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
2018 here and ther are noticeable differences between normal, sport, track, and drag. Maybe it's the Ford Racing springs that exacerbate the differnces, but in normal it's comfortable but almost underdamped. In sport it's firmer but well controlled. Track you can tell it really firms up and gets almost too firm for many roads. Drag you can really feel the softness in the rear and it's an unsettling feeling through any corners.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
All this talk about the different modes, had me try track mode for the first time. I'm usually in sport mode. I'm doing all street and highway driving, and over streets where there's been much construction going on, so they are very bumpy at times.
So here's my take of track vs sport mode:
Throttle response is definitely better in track mode. It just takes off faster.
And the suspension seems not as stiff as in sport mode. I'm gauging this going over all the bumps and ruts in the construction zones. So I actually feel I have more control on rough roads. The car isn't jumping to the side as much.
Steering response seems no different, and it would seem so as it stays in sport mode steering.
One other difference, however slight, is the exhaust sound. It seems just a bit deeper, more throaty so to speak. The difference is subtle. But I've switched back and forth between sport and track, going same speed, same rpms, and there is just a deeper exhaust sound in track.
And of course, the traction control is off. I have yet to push the car to where that might matter, and hopefully will not.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
All this talk about the different modes, had me try track mode for the first time. I'm usually in sport mode. I'm doing all street and highway driving, and over streets where there's been much construction going on, so they are very bumpy at times.
So here's my take of track vs sport mode:
Throttle response is definitely better in track mode. It just takes off faster.
And the suspension seems not as stiff as in sport mode. I'm gauging this going over all the bumps and ruts in the construction zones. So I actually feel I have more control on rough roads. The car isn't jumping to the side as much.
Steering response seems no different, and it would seem so as it stays in sport mode steering.
One other difference, however slight, is the exhaust sound. It seems just a bit deeper, more throaty so to speak. The difference is subtle. But I've switched back and forth between sport and track, going same speed, same rpms, and there is just a deeper exhaust sound in track.
And of course, the traction control is off. I have yet to push the car to where that might matter, and hopefully will not.
You're partially right.

Sport has an accelerated throttle ramp and track has a linear throttle ramp, same as normal. Odd that you felt that Race took off faster, because the same pedal input equals less throttle opening in comparison to sport.

Suspension in Sport allows you to select between normal and sport, in track you're allowed to choose between sport and track. So everything is one step higher.

Steering is defaults to the heaviest weight in both Sport and Track so those are the same.

Exhaust only has two settings, normal and sport. What you may have been noticing was the throttle map change between sport and race that would mean that the same pedal percentage would equal different throttle body percentages and therefore could be delivering different sound.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Know nothing about throttle mapping in GT350, but in a GT Track is waaaay different than Normal and is least linear out of the three (with Normal being most).
Sponsored