Sponsored

Current or Former Focus RS Owners?

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have this itch to drive a Focus RS. I had an ST, basic intake exhaust and tune for three years until I traded it in for my GT. It wasn’t a fast car but it was incredibly fun, quick and highly responsive.. stuck like glue, etc.

I do miss that car from time to time, especially with the ST2 package, makes my base GT feel like it’s a decade behind interior and tech wise. I REALLY like my GT and it’s highly unlikely I would ditch my GT for an RS. Just curious if anyone has or has previously had an RS and what your comparison to the GT and that car is.

Would you have kept the RS instead of a GT if given the choice again?

RS Pros:
AWD grip
Useable back seats
Looks great
Strong drivetrain
Very responsive to mods
Rare
Awesome handling

RS Cons:
No V8
No top end charge like the Coyote
Gets expensive to pull big power
Out of production, probably a long term increase on replacement parts $
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A con for me on the RS is the ergonomics. I fit much better in a Mustang than I do in the RS. But that same con exists on the Focus ST.

I think it's because I'm tall. Maybe the Focus fits your body type better than mine.

I'd love to have a winter AWD car, but to me the value isn't there in the RS. Maybe I would do a used one in a few years. Not sure.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
A con for me on the RS is the ergonomics. I fit much better in a Mustang than I do in the RS. But that same con exists on the Focus ST.

I think it's because I'm tall. Maybe the Focus fits your body type better than mine.

I'd love to have a winter AWD car, but to me the value isn't there in the RS. Maybe I would do a used one in a few years. Not sure.
I’m 6’ 210lbs and fit ok in the ST with Recaros. It was snug.

I think they’re going to hold value like a Terminator Cobra. 15 years later and they’re still holding 10k less than msrp.. lol

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I’m 6’ 210lbs and fit ok in the ST with Recaros. It was snug.

I think they’re going to hold value like a Terminator Cobra. 15 years later and they’re still holding 10k less than msrp.. lol
I fit in the car (although I'm 6'4" 240), it's just things like the seat base is too short, the seat back is too short, the location of the shifter and steering wheel seem awkward - stuff like that.

Could be they will hold their value. Ford sure didn't make them very long. Around here pretty much any sporty AWD vehicle holds its value. At one time I was looking at old WRXs and they were way too much for what you'd get.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Have both (2018 RS and 2019 GT PPL2), love both, both split commuting duties. Save the manuals!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Have both (2018 RS and 2019 GT PPL2), love both, both split commuting duties. Save the manuals!
Nice paring there!! Wish I still had my ST too.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
RS fan here. I have 2 - 2016's also have a Steeda Q850 Mustang. Love that too. Two totally different type of cars. The Q850 is manual too. Save the manual's!

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Former 2016 RS owner here. Car was fantastic but I got a bad taste in my mouth over the head gasket issue. Also missed the v8 sound.

Around normal streets the RS is a lot of fun. When you can stretch out the GT is more fun. Heavy traffic sucks as usual with manuals.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Former 2016 RS owner here. Car was fantastic but I got a bad taste in my mouth over the head gasket issue. Also missed the v8 sound.

Around normal streets the RS is a lot of fun. When you can stretch out the GT is more fun. Heavy traffic sucks as usual with manuals.
How is the RS clutch compared to the GT?

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
How is the RS clutch compared to the GT?
As I have the 10R80 I cannot answer this.

The RS has a lot of travel before it bites and then it bites pretty hard. It does take some getting used to but no big deal after that.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
I have both and I like the clutch in the RS much better than the Mustang.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
As I have the 10R80 I cannot answer this.

The RS has a lot of travel before it bites and then it bites pretty hard. It does take some getting used to but no big deal after that.
Funny, I feel that way about the Mustang clutch - esp if I let it out quickly, whereas the RS clutch is easier for me to feather. But I really like the RS clutch and transmission - quality pieces.
Sponsored