Sponsored

Mustang GT vs Focus RS (Ownership)?

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Times are strange.

I really enjoy my 16 GT, PP. It still has relatively low miles (37k). Used car values are at an all-time high (as are used prices).

I was a previous Focus ST owner and still have days I wake up and wish I was walking out to that car.

I have found locally a 2017 Focus RS with only 10k miles. I am now pretty torn. Hold on to my GT, or nab an RS (an extremely low mile one at that) which is a very limited production vehicle, very unique and offers a distinct driving experience? I would probably be close to, or less than the payments on my GT with the positive equity that could roll as a down payment.

Anyone owned or driven an RS? I also have my New Edge GT, which checks the "I own a Mustang" box. Obviously it's nothing like an S550, but I have plans on building this car over time to be a do-it-all monster.
Sponsored

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
If I was smaller I'd take the Focus. More practical fun.

Head gasket yada yada yada

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If I was smaller I'd take the Focus. More practical fun.

Head gasket yada yada yada
I fit in the ST pretty good. 6' 220lb give or take on each :D

Head gasket was pretty much a '16 issue I believe.

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
I had a 17 RS for a few years. It is a very fun car and much more practical. But I always felt the RS was lacking in power. It had very inconsistent power delivery. If you want to get into tuning and some bolt ons, I'm sure it will help. It's really just a much different car. Head gasket fiasco was 2016-17. I traded mine in because of the issue. I believe the majority were fixed for 2018.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Pick the one you'll enjoy more.
Only you know the answer to that.
Does this car have the troublesome dual clutch set up.?

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
In the US, where Mustangs are a dime a dozen, a Focus RS is really something special and totally worth considering.
Over here, I wouldn't trade a Mustang (and a GT, no less) for all the Focuses (or is it Foci?) in the world.

Anyway, you should buy what you like, not what we like. You can't get wrong with any of them. The RS is an awesome car, no doubt about it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had a 17 RS for a few years. It is a very fun car and much more practical. But I always felt the RS was lacking in power. It had very inconsistent power delivery. If you want to get into tuning and some bolt ons, I'm sure it will help. It's really just a much different car. Head gasket fiasco was 2016-17. I traded mine in because of the issue. I believe the majority were fixed for 2018.
Interesting to know about the power delivery. That’s one thing for sure I know is a negative, is the ability to rip on the Coyote and know it’s always ready to deliver.

Did you have HG issues? Any long term effects? I need to research more but my understanding was Ford will replace at no charge but obviously it’s not ideal to have a HG failureNo idea if that’s been done on this one.

Pick the one you'll enjoy more.
Only you know the answer to that.
Does this car have the troublesome dual clutch set up.?
Yes, tough choice. I love my GT.. I probably just need to drive this car to see if it feels like it’s worth giving up my car.

Ibelieve they are single disk.

In the US, where Mustangs are a dime a dozen, a Focus RS is really something special and totally worth considering.
Over here, I wouldn't trade a Mustang (and a GT, no less) for all the Focuses (or is it Foci?) in the world.

Anyway, you should buy what you like, not what we like. You can't get wrong with any of them. The RS is an awesome car, no doubt about it.
That’s part of it.. they are super rare. I do like them a lot and feel like the chances to own one are going to lessen over time, obviously. Like people who had the opportunity to get a fresh Supra or EVO back in the day, but didn’t. Now you pay dearly for one.

Deleted member 35644

350hp with a manual and AWD is a tough combo to beat. Combined with the utility of a hatchback, and the rarity of the RS in the states and you have a really desirable car. I loved my STs, but wrong-wheel-drive was a turnoff after a while. If one of them had been an RS, I might still have it. My main turnoff would be the seats. I only weigh 200 lbs, but the Recaros in the ST made me feel claustrophobic, so I couldn't have a ST2 or ST3, and all RSs were off the table.

Good luck with your decision. I don't think you can go wrong either way, as they're nothing wrong with a Mustang.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I can totally get that. Precisely the kind of thought that made me buy a V8 Mustang. Sort of a "now or never" moment... :)
Yes and I’m sure you’re super happy with that decision!!

350hp with a manual and AWD is a tough combo to beat. Combined with the utility of a hatchback, and the rarity of the RS in the states and you have a really desirable car. I loved my STs, but wrong-wheel-drive was a turnoff after a while. If one of them had been an RS, I might still have it. My main turnoff would be the seats. I only weigh 200 lbs, but the Recaros in the ST made me feel claustrophobic, so I couldn't have a ST2 or ST3, and all RSs were off the table.

Good luck with your decision. I don't think you can go wrong either way, as they're nothing wrong with a Mustang.
Yeah the ST was a blast. I’ve never had anything that handled like that car and it was a lot of fun. Knowing the RS is basically that on steroids is part of the big draw.

The GT is also a lot of fun to throw around, but is definitely in a “take me to jail, officer” way. It needs a lot of room to run and is less hoonable on the drive home from work.

RS would be the off the line king, the GT the top end and drag champ. Never buried the speedo in the GT. “On paper” the RS is probably as fast as the GT (165mph.. probably about the same for a stockish PP car).

This is truly what I despise about being into cars. I am naturally a very patient person, but when it comes to crap like this it’s almost like I go total opposite and want to make really rash decisions LOL.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes and I’m sure you’re super happy with that decision!!
Oh, yes, you can say that again. I absolutely love it. :inlove:
Most of this love is of course due to the car itself - power, sound, RWD... But some of it is certainly due to its exclusivity. I must confess it makes me really happy to see how much love this car gets from everybody, from kids to octogenarians. A Focus RS wouldn't get that kind of attention here; in fact, only a handful of petrolheads would even be able to distinguish it from a regular Focus.
You, on the other hand, will probably get the same kind of exclusivity with the RS in the States that I'm getting with the Mustang here. And the car itself is really awesome, I'm sure. And quite practical for that matter, which the Mustang isn't.

doritoking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach 1 with handling package
I owned a 2016 RS for 5 years and 49,000 miles before trading it in for a 2021 handling package mach 1 . The RS is the ultimate car for being able to drive spiritedly no matter the weather. That strength is also its weakness if you’re looking for driving involvement. No matter how bad the conditions (white out blizzard), you can mash the go pedal at anytime and the awd system will sort everything out for you. It’s definitely less driver involvement than the mustang.

It really comes down to what you’re looking for and what your driving conditions will be. In dry conditions and especially at the track, the mustang is the more enjoyable car to drive for me. The RS is really the type of car that masks bad habits and makes you (wrongfully) feel like a superhero. But if you want to be able to hoon all year round no matter the weather (with the correct tires), I don’t think anything beats the RS with a manual.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well, I went and looked at the car.

This is a really, really weird place to be in. I have about $11.5k in equity in my GT, which brings the price down to the high $20k's for a 10k mi RS and my payments would roughly be the same. It has PPF on much of the car, is literally flawless from what I saw.

It drove like a brand new car. It's stiff. It's like a go-kart. It's subtly quick, feels pretty tame but the boost is really linear and it moves the car with authority without being WOT.

Now grappling with if I will be happy with that vs my GT. I think long-term, this is obviously a really rare car and assuming it's kept in good shape and the mileage reasonable, it will always have a following and someone looking for one. I do have my New Edge GT that checks the RWD, stick V8 box.

I am really torn.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My oldest son has a Focus RS. There are many interior similarities between it and my GT. Performance of the RS is typical 4 banger turbo. Better than most, but the drop in boost with every shift is annoying. What stands out the most is the ride. It is horrible. I'm sure the tires are filled with cement.
Sponsored