The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
No doubt. There’s good shops and bad shops. I stopped taking my stuff several years back, I got tired of the hit and miss with the tech’s doing the work and the damage that some times happened.
:facepalm:
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I'm sure there are some who've patched something like this and gotten full use out of it. Me? I err on the side of caution. Peace of mind and the car are worth paying for. I'd replace.

Last edited:

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
Not a chance. Ive replaced 3 Pirellis on my Boss 302 for the exact same thing. Having run a tire shop for the last 10 years and being in the business for over 40, this is not something that can be safely or properly repaired. A patch will pull away and a plug is never the answer. A patch/plug is the only properly considered repair on any tire, and anything there are TIA rules for what and where tires can be properly repaired. this one isn't even close.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Buy a new tire

Eatonian49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP, Focus SE
Same thing happened to me recently...just bit the bullet and got some good tires to replace the Cup 2s. 😆

Sponsored

Evenmetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Been there many times sadly, but that's not fixable :(

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Interesting how opinions differ so much on tire plugs. I have been plugging my own tires for decades without any dramatic failures. Did have a plug leak air one time so i double plugged it to stop the leak.

About fifteen years ago I had put a new set of tires on a car. Within three weeks had nails/screws in two tires. I plugged them myself and ran those tires for over ten years.

Now the issue of them being on the edge of the tread is something I cannot vouch for. I would likely run the tire with a shop patch. Maybe not on a track or high speeds on the road.

Homebrw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR,18 EB Vert,12 GT500 Vert, 05 V6 Vert
Hello. Not opinion. Industry rules. The TIA (Tire Industry Association) and RMA (Rubber Manufactures Association) expressly prohibit chemically cured repairs in this zone, also referred to as the non-repairable area outside of the crown. A plug (rubber filler to fill the hole void) plus patch (2 piece or 1 mushroom-type) are the correct industry repair, just not in this area. Plug repairs (also called improper repairs) are not acceptable for 3 reasons: the tire does not have to be dismounted for inspection of collateral damage or run flat, there is no patch from the inside to prevent high pressure air infiltration which can separate tire products (inside-out damage), and finally the plugs used for quick repairs from the outside use a rubber coated nylon...which wicks water into the casing.

Have people used Dollar General rubber coated wicker plugs to fix their tires before and have they lasted? Sure. But any tire shop who does it with proof is accepting liability in court, and it will be a slam dunk for them to pay, as the industry accepted practice is super clear. For sure you will not find a major chain like Discount Tire, etc. that will do it. That should tell you something.

Add the fact that: the car is rather expensive, the torque and speeds are higher than average and the profile is lower than average and as another put it, it doesn't seem like the risk is worth the reward. Best case scenario if it fails: it costs you a tire (that you would have bought anyway), likely a tow and some time, possibly a wheel and fender. Worst case? My checkbook and conscious don't go that high.

YMMV, but remember the only thing holding you to the road are 4 rubber patches slightly larger than your outstretched palm of your hand.

Rubber, punch-in plugs are great for off-road riding mowers, btw.

Last edited:

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium / Iconic Silver 10 Speed Auto
Bite the bullet and don't cheap out. But a new tire. ANY reputable tire shop posts in clear view what can and can not be repaired as soon as you walk into the shop. Don't roll the dice.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BoomBoy

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
That is one expense screw...
I know, right?

$600 just for one tire
$2400 for the whole set

I still have a set of OEM PSS though. I'm thinking about swapping them before spending some serious dollars on tires. For now it's not being driven anyway and the winter storage is just a month away...

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Give me a break. Talk about an over reaction. Nobody here can actually make a good assessment because we didn’t actually see what the damage was when the tire came off. If the shop thought it wasn’t repairable they would have told him no and tried to sell him a tire. They assumed the liability on the repair. That’s where it ends.
Doubt it. Probably a cash repair and no paper trail back to the shop. If the tire fails at 50+ mph coming into an off ramp and the OP ends up in the weeds, it’ll probably be much more than a new tire would’ve been.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I have used plugs before on the side of the road but only long enough to either limp my way home or get to a tire store rather than drag out the spare. Never a permanent fix unless it's in the repairable zone. I have had tires many times with the approved plug/patch repair in a repairable zone that have worked great and last the remaining life of the tire no problem.

scd603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I know, right?

$600 just for one tire
$2400 for the whole set

I still have a set of OEM PSS though. I'm thinking about swapping them before spending some serious dollars on tires. For now it's not being driven anyway and the winter storage is just a month away...
The only consolation, if you want to call it that, is the fact that they only last maybe 15k. So he lost 14k worth, not like 59k worth like a regular tire
Sponsored