Sponsored

Credit where credit is due

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
This sounds like it is above some folk's pay grade......?
To which I’ll stipulate.

But I still maintain that it’s a counterintuitive PITA and didn’t need to have been.
Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try checking the transmission fluid level on a 10R80! Other than that, I agree that these are pretty easy to work on.
Agreed.

I‘m sure that’s why it gets “overlooked” by the PDI monkeys and so many A10 cars get delivered low on trans fluid.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Oakley

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
Old knees, traffic and manual transmissions are a special kind of hell...
May you never be thusly cursed.
i receive your blessing and return it in kind :)

s3ltz3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' GT
Biggest PITA is checking the dipstick location. No doubt. 😂

Besides that....Ford 🤌.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
To which I’ll stipulate.

But I still maintain that it’s a counterintuitive PITA and didn’t need to have been.
It's not difficult at all checking oil IMO - but I would 100% agree that the placement of the dipstick could have been better.

s3ltz3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' GT
It's not difficult at all checking oil IMO - but I would 100% agree that the placement of the dipstick could have been better.
Definitely not difficult, it is annoying tho.

kellyreno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
HA! Good access?

I invite anyone to come try to check the oil level on my 2020 GT vert with the strut tower brace. I’m pretty sure a latter-day descendant of the Marquis de Sade participated in the design.

It took me 10 minutes to even find the dipstick the first time and that was with the owner’s manual and a flashlight!
Tell me how to check my a10s level. Insane. The dealer would not do it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For sure.

As I said, I feel sure it gets overlooked at PDI.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Try checking the transmission fluid level on a 10R80! Other than that, I agree that these are pretty easy to work on.
Well, since there's no dipstick, yes, it's harder. But a lot of vehicles today don't have an auto trans dipstick like Toyota Tacomas (one of the most popular mid-size pickups), some Mercedes models, etc. I think Ford got rid of the dipstick back in the later Explorer models, though those still had the dipstick tube, but no dipstick so tool companies came out with these universal kits and a book on how to set up the stick to use on various makes and models of vehicles that had no dipstick but had a dipstick tube.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Well, since there's no dipstick, yes, it's harder. But a lot of vehicles today don't have an auto trans dipstick like Toyota Tacomas (one of the most popular mid-size pickups), some Mercedes models, etc. I think Ford got rid of the dipstick back in the later Explorer models, though those still had the dipstick tube, but no dipstick so tool companies came out with these universal kits and a book on how to set up the stick to use on various makes and models of vehicles that had no dipstick but had a dipstick tube.
Actually there is a dipstick. No long tube/dipstick like in the past but it does have one. It's attached to the fill plug on the passenger side of the transmission. Think of something like a dipstick on the old power steering pumps, attached to the cap only smaller and a huge, very hot PITA to get out.

You have to get the transmission up to somewhere around 200 degrees (forgot the exact number but it's very hot), put it on a lift or jackstands, with the car running in park take out the fill plug/dipstick (this is the incredibly hot, difficult part), wipe it off, reinsert, remove again and read the level. Now it gets more complicated... The dipstick will have either letters or numbers and you have to compare what you have to determine what the level should be.
Here's a very good thread on all things 10R80...
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-10r80-a10-most-recent-tsb’s-in-here.102918/

kellyreno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Actually there is a dipstick. No long tube/dipstick like in the past but it does have one. It's attached to the fill plug on the passenger side of the transmission. Think of something like a dipstick on the old power steering pumps, attached to the cap only smaller and a huge, very hot PITA to get out.

You have to get the transmission up to somewhere around 200 degrees (forgot the exact number but it's very hot), put it on a lift or jackstands, with the car running in park take out the fill plug/dipstick (this is the incredibly hot, difficult part), wipe it off, reinsert, remove again and read the level. Now it gets more complicated... The dipstick will have either letters or numbers and you have to compare what you have to determine what the level should be.
Here's a very good thread on all things 10R80...
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-10r80-a10-most-recent-tsb’s-in-here.102918/
Thanks so much. Now that the dealer told me to piss up a rope (I am having issues). I will take it to a mom/pop with that info. Perhaps it just needs topping off like others.

kellyreno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Thanks so much. Now that the dealer told me to piss up a rope (I am having issues). I will take it to a mom/pop with that info. Perhaps it just needs topping off like others.
Oh, they say the whining pump is "normal". It was not normal when the car was new.
Sponsored