Sponsored

Creaking/Clicking noise from acceleration/deceleration FIXED!!!

MataGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
This is my first post on this site, but here's what I did do solve this problem on my 2017 GT350. I started getting a clunking noise from the rear driver side suspension when I would accelerate from a stop. I could also hear the clunk when backing out of my garage. At first, I thought maybe I didn't torque everything properly after installing the FP springs and clocking the bearings, or didn't seat the springs properly, but I rechecked everything and all was torqued correctly and the springs were seated properly. The next thing I did was remount the wheel to check for any play. To my surprise, there was some play compared to the passenger side rear. It turns out my hub retainer had backed out a little, but the hub bearing was fine along with the CV joint and half shaft. I installed a brand new nut, P/N CCPZ-3B477-G, and torqued it to 98 ft-lbf plus 45 degrees as seems to be widely used even though it doesn't align with the ford service manual. The clunk disappeared completely, but I noticed I started getting a clicking noise when I let off the clutch to start moving forward. The again another click when shifting to 2 gear...so two audible clicks in total (the sound of something overtightened). This bugged the crap of me, so I too the hub retainer off and installed another new nut, but this time at Stage 1: 85 ft-lbf, and Stage 2: 30 degrees. My suspension has not made another sound since. Hopefully this helps somebody.
Sponsored

Last edited:

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
I had a new wheel bearing and new axle nut and mine still had the metallic clicking sound when rolling ahead or backwards. Replaced the thrust washer between the CV shaft and the wheel bearing with the updated one from Ford and problem is gone.

Cledus1968

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I had a creaking noise/ or clicking noise depending on how you describe the sensation/audio coming from the rear end of my car. It only did this at take off or slow downs at speeds under 20 mph or so. So daily driving it was never really noticeable until traffic, in traffic I'd hear it 24/7 and it drove me mad. Check everything, I mean everything and checked this forum and still couldnt fix the noise.

I figured I'd go check out a forum with collectively older readers/posters. Collectively. Dont get pissy , and the corvette forums suggested the axle nuts on the half-shafts were lose. I honestly didnt think it was possible but I was desperate to try anything.

Well I got a 2 foot breaker bar and a 32mm socket and started to turn, BOOM, turned easily. Easily for 2 feet of leverage but still too easily. Re-tightened both sides back to (REALLY FNING HIGH TQ) and wall-ah. NOISE IS GONE. No more creak or clicking going into reverse or drive from a stop , no more creaking in traffic. I love driving my car again, because it does not feel like im hurting her anymore.

Im so happy it is fixed that I dont want to play blame game but this shouldnt have happened because both rear wheel nuts were lose. Very dangerous and could have eventually cost me or someone a life. Hope this helps someone.:cheers:
Good info...I have had this sound every since I installed half-shafts. I had them re-torqued once since to spec and it did not help.
Does your (REALLY FNING HIGH TQ) equate to a number? Or how did you know it was enough? Any concern of applying to much pressure leading to early bearing failure?
[/
I just noticed this morning on my driver rear a click in forward and reverse not all the time but enough that it’s got my attention I live in Florida so my windows are done a lot but I’ve never heard it till this morning. When I get off work heading to my buddy who has a lift and definitely going to check this out.Thanks for the info

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Hi Richard and welcome to the forum. Just FYI, you responded to members who have not been on here for quite some time. Going forward, just click on "messages" in the info box to see the members last post.
Sponsored