Deceleration noise

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
The noise began when I changed the rear brakes (or noticed) I swapped OE and new discs in and the noise mostly went away. I overall have a fair amount of nvh, not stupid loud but noticeable. I just did the brakes a week ago and I may tear the passenger side apart again and be sure I have the pad pin in the groove correctly.

My only other thought with a car with 75k on the clock is, perhaps the pinion preload is loose? If so can I/is there a way to go about tightening it up correctly/to spec?

I suppose this still fits here: I back the pistons all the way off and installed and have some scrubbing, which makes zero sense to me and need to re-adjust my parking brake.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PC_GUARD

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Ive decided that its most likely a bearing in the rear end, probably pinion bearing but who knows.

Does anyone know why, you can no longer buy the ford t2 3.73 loaded rear dif assembly??

While my shop is pretty well equipped for most everything, i do not have the time patience or equipment to tear the dif apart and service the thing. My last car I went through 3 different mechanics to get someone to install gears without them howling, and that guy is gone now.

When i bought my car I couldve sworn that ford had replaced the whole rear assembly, but i cant seem to find where i saw that. If thats the case wouldnt there be a warranty?

OP
OP
PC_GUARD

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the drag spec would be with brakes off but shafts installed on the pinion?

I know what it is when doing a fresh setup, but no idea how to calculate it, in the car with half shafts in the dif.

The noise i have is primarily when cold (now) and mostly goes away when all warmed up.

My only other thought is a bearing is a bit oil starved. Is there any gear oil that may be better than the factory rec? I replaced fluid in august

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I don‘t know if it’s any better, but I run this in mine. I don’t have very many miles on it to give a good review though (only about 200-300 before I started working on the tranny). I also run BG Synchro Shift II in the tranny.

1676296896675.jpeg

OP
OP
PC_GUARD

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
I don‘t know if it’s any better, but I run this in mine. I don’t have very many miles on it to give a good review though (only about 200-300 before I started working on the tranny). I also run BG Synchro Shift II in the tranny.

1676296896675.jpeg
Most guys seem to really like that stuff. Most people probably wouldnt even notice the noise i currently have but now that ive noticed it, i cant ignore it lol

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Most guys seem to really like that stuff. Most people probably wouldnt even notice the noise i currently have but now that ive noticed it, i cant ignore it lol
It’s cheap enough to try. Give it a shot and see if it helps.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Also, have you changed the diff oil and forgot the friction modifier (even if you used an oil with it in) ?

Ford recommend it equally not just track loc chatter, but also for gear noise.

I suspect that’s why they still spec it even with a Torsen.

WD :like:
Sponsored