Sponsored

Clicking noise when letting go of gas from slight acceleration. Is this normal?

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
OK so you don't address anything else I said except the guess I threw out about the cause. Two brand new cars do it and you want to act like it's a big conspiracy from Ford that it happens (and talk shit with your koolaid comment)? Ok dude have fun with yourself.
And you want to act like new cars doing it means it's OK? LOL sheep....there are plenty of new cars that DONT...he had one that didn't at first, mine didn't at first on any of the 3 engines....some don't for 20k some do new....which ones are "normal" noisey or quite?
I know exactly what it is, and why Ford pretends it's normal BUT doesn't say what it is ( 2k rattle and tick at least )...yes we are seeing our intake phasers probably need another redesign for some of the issues....

I've done more than lap up their droppings at least....
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That ratcheting noise is either one (or both) BorgWarner intake phasers (the exhaust ones are different on Coyotes), or the A10 tranny. If it's the tranny, it's reportedly not normal. And you can tell right away where the noise is coming from with the hood open. If it's a phaser, the noise would be on your face, since they're right there. If the tranny, you'd hear it from under the car. If it's the phaser(s) when engine is hot, not normal either. It's only normal when phasers do that noise with engine cold. I never heard it on my ex-F150 Platinum with the 3.5EB, except when I 'provoked' it, just to see if my engine had it or not. I haven't heard it on the Bullitt yet, but haven't 'provoked' it :).

bistvan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
István
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019, EU Spec
I hope my comment makes you feel better. I ordered a 2019 GT and from brand new it made this sound. I drove it 7k miles before it was bought back due to bad paint.

I ordered a 2020 GT and it also has done this from new. I now have about 10k miles on it.

What I have heard it is most likely is is cam phasers or something like that. When you let off the gas is when it happens. It's louder when the car is cold and gets quieter when it is warm. At freeway speeds or if you have an exhaust you can barely hear it.

Anyway, I do believe it is totally normal. Weird as it is.

I don't freak out about the weird noises anymore. I have had two cars brand new that did identical things. Both had the 2k rattle (which I am convinced is normal and related to direct injection) and the random ticking.
That's crazy. My reaction to Ford telling me that it was normal was like "come on... you can't believe this to be true". We all know how engines should sound when running "properly". Rattling when lifting off the accelerator is definitely not a "normal" sound. Especially cause no one seems to understand what is making the sound.

If it would be normal, there would be a clear cut understanding as to where the sound is coming from and why. Otherwise it seems more like an oversight at best and when a Mustang's key selling point is how amazing the car sounds (Adjustable exhaust note helllllooo), then the sound of the engine rattling on lift off is not "normal".

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Aluminum blocks, my theory and I could be all wet.
Unlike the iron absorbs sound, these amplify it. A modern engine has many more chains, rollers that have some degree of slop, also contributes to the situation.

Example: hyd lifter cam motor quiet. Solid lifters, roller lifters + roller rockers. Some would say noisy.

Sounds like power to my ears, bottom line get use to it, learn the sounds. If they change louder, then investigate.

New car, one must assume that's the way it should be.

Happy motoring!

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Sounds like power to my ears, bottom line get use to it, learn the sounds. If they change louder, then investigate.

New car, one must assume that's the way it should be.

Happy motoring!
Agree 100%. I actually feel like I'm more OK with this than most due to previous Ford engines. When I got a Lincoln LS, at first it didn't seem loud. But after a bit of driving the clacking and chattering seemed like something had to be abnormal. Nope, just the way those engines sounded.

Having two brand new Mustangs a year apart that both exhibit the exact same sounds and "issues" has convinced me not to worry. I know not everyone gets to have reassurance like that. Especially if you buy used.

Sponsored

bistvan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
István
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019, EU Spec
Agree 100%. I actually feel like I'm more OK with this than most due to previous Ford engines. When I got a Lincoln LS, at first it didn't seem loud. But after a bit of driving the clacking and chattering seemed like something had to be abnormal. Nope, just the way those engines sounded.

Having two brand new Mustangs a year apart that both exhibit the exact same sounds and "issues" has convinced me not to worry. I know not everyone gets to have reassurance like that. Especially if you buy used.
Unfortunately, I seem to have some transmission issues as well. Aggressive shifts into and out of 3rd gear. Sometimes

I mean, I get it. I was a bit more “relaxed” when the dealership showed me a brand new Mustang exhibiting the same noise, but won’t change the fact that its definitely not what an engine should sound like.

My understanding is that Ford tried to fix this issue on the F150s with a software patch (didn’t work for most people).

what bothers me a whole lot is that it seems like not even Ford knows whats going on. If they could say, look its”so-and-so” part that causes the noise because the operation of it includes some rubbing. I’d still think its a poor design choice, but it appears thatFord is just throwing their hands up going, well all of them do it so its normal...

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, I seem to have some transmission issues as well. Aggressive shifts into and out of 3rd gear. Sometimes

I mean, I get it. I was a bit more “relaxed” when the dealership showed me a brand new Mustang exhibiting the same noise, but won’t change the fact that its definitely not what an engine should sound like.

My understanding is that Ford tried to fix this issue on the F150s with a software patch (didn’t work for most people).

what bothers me a whole lot is that it seems like not even Ford knows whats going on. If they could say, look its”so-and-so” part that causes the noise because the operation of it includes some rubbing. I’d still think its a poor design choice, but it appears thatFord is just throwing their hands up going, well all of them do it so its normal...
Not picking on you just using the statement

:could say, look its”so-and-so” part that causes the noise because the operation of it includes some rubbing."

You might be fine with that answer, cause you have common sense and can think it thru.

There are many more people out here. That will instantly go Nuclear and refuse to accept the reality. Feel duped for no reason, other than they lack basic mechanical knowledge .

"but it appears thatFord is just throwing their hands up going, well all of them do it so its normal..."

How long has the coyote motor been on the market ? Let's just use 5 years, and how many times have they been ask this question?

I guess I would not be surprised if they would throw up their hands and say its normal..." instead of fuck it that's the way the cooky crumbles.

I can hear them saying it's normal. Here is what being between a rock and a hard spot is.

Guys buys a new car, drives a few thousand miles, discovers there is some engine noise. Now it was not quiet and all of a sudden happened. What all of a sudden happen, he heard it.

Rock and a hard spot:
Goes back the the dealer, jumping up and down cars a shit box.
Customer is taken out to the lot, hears another car, new run. Dealer says same noise ?

Customer yes but mines louder??????????

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Guys buys a new car, drives a few thousand miles, discovers there is some engine noise. Now it was not quiet and all of a sudden happened. What all of a sudden happen, he heard it.
I think it's this exactly. I got sensitive hearing, and when someone claims to not have any weird noises/creaks/rattles at all in their car - I say yeah right give me a day with it. Every. Single. Car. I have ever had had weird stuff, and I am lucky enough to have leased a brand new Mercedes and new M-ish BMW and some modern Lincoln's. All these cars have "noisy" engines by like 1960s(?) standards. And every one creaked or rattled in some way in some place that I wished I could have tracked down.

I believe there are tradeoffs to getting power and performance at the price these cars are. Noise is something Ford is OK with. I bought the car so I guess I am OK with it too lol.

andrewzander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Any update on this issue?

I have a 2019 base GT, A10, ~6k miles, and I'm noticing the same sound that has been discussed/demonstrated in videos here.

bistvan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
István
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019, EU Spec
Any update on this issue?

I have a 2019 base GT, A10, ~6k miles, and I'm noticing the same sound that has been discussed/demonstrated in videos here.
Since then my car has stalled (mine is a 2019 10 Speed 5.0 Mustang) while turning slowly in a tight corner. The transmission tried to shift down from 3rd, probably to second or first and the engine died.

I described this to my local Ford dealer and they said that then there is definitely something wrong with the transmission. It seems that some of the others "calling me out" on being overly sensitive about the engine, maybe in the wrong this time...

My transmission keeps being aggressive. It also started developing a "unwillingness" to switch up. Say I am driving down a hill, and adding throttle in 4th gear. I let go of the throttle and let the car "roll" down the hill. As it accelerates, it seems like the transmission doesn't decouple from the gear aka it doesn't let it free roll (some automatics are designed this way, idk if that applies for the Mustang's transmission), but it also fails to shifts up. It remains in 4th until relatively high revs are reached. Then quite abruptly it will upshift, throwing you forward in the seat.

Since, then my local Ford Dealership, has reset the "smart" shift point learning thing. Didn't have any impact on how the car drove. Other than for the first 200-300 miles, the transmission barely knew that it had gears to upshift and downshift to. After the learning process was done, the same exact behavior remained as before.

Right now, I am waiting on Ford to tell me what they can do. My car has 48,000 KM (its about 2.5 years old). My warrantee is 5 years or 100,000 KM whichever comes first. I have concerns about keeping this car past its warrantee period.

Sponsored

bistvan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
István
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019, EU Spec
Since then my car has stalled (mine is a 2019 10 Speed 5.0 Mustang) while turning slowly in a tight corner. The transmission tried to shift down from 3rd, probably to second or first and the engine died.

I described this to my local Ford dealer and they said that then there is definitely something wrong with the transmission. It seems that some of the others "calling me out" on being overly sensitive about the engine, maybe in the wrong this time...

My transmission keeps being aggressive. It also started developing a "unwillingness" to switch up. Say I am driving down a hill, and adding throttle in 4th gear. I let go of the throttle and let the car "roll" down the hill. As it accelerates, it seems like the transmission doesn't decouple from the gear aka it doesn't let it free roll (some automatics are designed this way, idk if that applies for the Mustang's transmission), but it also fails to shifts up. It remains in 4th until relatively high revs are reached. Then quite abruptly it will upshift, throwing you forward in the seat.

Since, then my local Ford Dealership, has reset the "smart" shift point learning thing. Didn't have any impact on how the car drove. Other than for the first 200-300 miles, the transmission barely knew that it had gears to upshift and downshift to. After the learning process was done, the same exact behavior remained as before.

Right now, I am waiting on Ford to tell me what they can do. My car has 48,000 KM (its about 2.5 years old). My warrantee is 5 years or 100,000 KM whichever comes first. I have concerns about keeping this car past its warrantee period.
Quick update: Ending up selling the car back to the dealer. I was experiencing engine issues the whole time. the differential sized together, so they had to change that too. A new transmission was on the way. Too many issues. The car was constantly in the shop. I've been driving a loaner for 2.5 months. Had enough and got rid of it.

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
So I'm hearing like a clicking or rattling sound with my EcoBoost manual engine. It's at low speed and it's highest at around 3rd gear and pretty much disappears once it gets to a higher speed and sounds like normal.

Is this the issue you guys are talking about in this thread or is this something separate?

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10 PP1 (Rapid Red)
I had a 2018 GT that did the same thing. It stopped when it was warmed up. My 2020 GT does the same thing. I think it's normal (unfortunately). I think it's super irritating. It's very hot where I live, so it really only comes up in the Fall/Winter time.

m1m1m1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2019
Got the exact same issue whenever engine is cold or warm. Tried to unplug the VVT (VCT) solenoid and when's unplugged the engine works a lot smoother and there's no rattling. When plug back it again rattle is coming again. Noticed that I have 1 bad timing chain guide, so I'm going to replace both VVT solenoids and the guide.
Sponsored

Last edited: