Sponsored

Cracked a pillars?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Wasn't able to really find anything like this from a quick search, so figured I'd start a new thread.

Does anybody have an idea on what could cause cracks at the top of BOTH A pillars? I took my car to the dealership last week to try and get the water leaks I've been having figured out and at first they said it was something at the top of the windshield then the windshield guy came yesterday and found cracks in both pillars. Any idea what could cause this? I don't believe it was a defect from the factory because I don't really remember leaking happening until a couple of months ago.

Noticed the dripping coming down on both sides of the dash, kinda by the door speakers, but on the inside panel.

Doesn't seem like a common issue and the few results that I did find seemed tied to being hard on the chassis and older model cars where the drivers were getting one or both front wheels up...I obviously can't do that in my V6!
Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Was the windshield the original one from the factory?
Any speaker mods done?
Maybe someone else has been in there?

OP
OP
Nagare

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
That SUX?!!.. what is the dealer saying about it?. They gonna cover it?. Try to post pics.
So far seems that way, was turned over to the body shop yesterday, no update today.

Was the windshield the original one from the factory?
Any speaker mods done?
Maybe someone else has been in there?
Yeah its OEM. Yes to speaker mods. Someone else in where? I bought the car new 2 years ago.

Whiplash473

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT/PP | '94 GT stroker
Is it still a factory windshield? It's possible it was replaced and that's where the guy was prying from on both sides. Pictures would help.

I understand you bought the car new but I've worked at dealerships, shit happens. But like I said, it's possible.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nagare

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Is it still a factory windshield? It's possible it was replaced and that's where the guy was prying from on both sides. Pictures would help.

I understand you bought the car new but I've worked at dealerships, shit happens. But like I said, it's possible.
Hopefully not when their windshield guy pulled it off to inspect! That'd be a great sequence of events. I don't have any pictures because I'm just going by texts from my service advisor. Hopefully they seal the cracks, put a new windshield (they can't be properly reused right?), and no issues crop up again. I'd prefer it be the "shit happens" small crack while removing than a larger underlying issue.

Whiplash473

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
My mistake but I guess I didn't think through the sequence of events you explained until now, sorry.

They can re-use the windshield, yes. When I was in auto body we only replaced a windshield if it was cracked, otherwise it was cleaned, sealed, and re-installed. If done properly there's no issue (same as replacing it). With that said, you could still have a factory windshield so my comment is out the window (again, sorry, that was dumb).

The chance of the A pillar cracking still stands to happen by the same process though. I'm assuming you didn't notice the cracks before all of this. I'd Duke it out with the dealer, although that's going to be a tough battle.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I might be missing something but anything affecting the A pillar to the extent that it cracked would concern me. They join the roof to the rest of the body and are integral to the car's rigidity. Cracking there in a car of known history doesn't really add up, hopefully it's just the dealer describing missing sealant or something minor but I'd be getting them to send photos.

OP
OP
Nagare

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
The chance of the A pillar cracking still stands to happen by the same process though. I'm assuming you didn't notice the cracks before all of this. I'd Duke it out with the dealer, although that's going to be a tough battle.
There is a large rock chip in the driver said, but that's towards the middle while the cracking is supposed to be at the top of both sides so I'm still not sure what could cause that. I'll give them a call in the morning and see if I can get some pictures.

The only accidents the car has been in are 1) coworker's husband reversing into the front passenger side (2-5mph) which resulted in no frame damage but did need to get the bumper cover repaired and the headlight replaced and 2) idiot creeping forward into my car in stop and go traffic which resulted in a very small scratch on the rear bumper cover.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hey Nagare not trying to cause alarm, certainly worth checking if there's even a suggestion of structural damage.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nagare

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Had two dealership body shops take very careful looks after the front hit because my coworker fully admitted fault and her insurance covered everything so I'm not sure what damage could be beyond that. I'll update here after talking with the advisor tomorrow.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Does anybody have an idea on what could cause cracks at the top of BOTH A pillars?

Doesn't seem like a common issue and the few results that I did find seemed tied to being hard on the chassis and older model cars where the drivers were getting one or both front wheels up...I obviously can't do that in my V6!
Cracks in the sheet metal? You been trying to recreate the chase scene from Bullitt? :bandit::)

Whiplash473

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
Had two dealership body shops take very careful looks after the front hit because my coworker fully admitted fault and her insurance covered everything so I'm not sure what damage could be beyond that. I'll update here after talking with the advisor tomorrow.
No structural damage from what you're describing. Not at those speeds.

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Dropped off the truck?

OP
OP
Nagare

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Just got off the phone with the body shop, not a crack to the pillar itself! They said it was the window seal was dry and cracked which caused it. They resealed today and are letting it dry then putting the windshield back in place tomorrow and I'll be able to pick the car up after that.
Sponsored