Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
  • Banned
Everyone knew it was coming and it might be coming sooner than expected.

Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Bill asking the important stuff “how do you know when to shift?”

I’m trying to be open minded to it, but i cannot imagine spending any longer than i currently do at any gas station(charging station) and being happy about it.

OP
OP
roygriffin2020

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
  • Banned

I’m trying to be open minded to it, but i cannot imagine spending any longer than i currently do at any gas station(charging station) and being happy about it.
Tesla's fast charge is 50% in 20 minutes. The cars would just stay plugged in overnight and always be 100% charged. I know Calgary no matter where you go they have had charge stations at all parking spots for the last 20 years or more for the engine block to keep from freezing. I mean even at church every spot had a plug in.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The short range would be the only thing to keep me from buying one.

Sponsored

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat
Short range and the nearest charge station to where i live is 30 miles

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I know Calgary no matter where you go they have had charge stations at all parking spots for the last 20 years or more for the engine block to keep from freezing.
the current draw of those heaters is what 100-200 watts? Battery chargers are denoted in kilo-watts, 65+. The utility of the engine block plug is to keep the battery pack warm with external power instead of consuming it's own and then having to shut down to protect itself from excessive discharge. And then to have the battery pack literally freeze and you get to call the wrecker and find a nice warm place for it to thaw out.

OP
OP
roygriffin2020

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
  • Banned
the current draw of those heaters is what 100-200 watts? Battery chargers are denoted in kilo-watts, 65+. The utility of the engine block plug is to keep the battery pack warm with external power instead of consuming it's own and then having to shut down to protect itself from excessive discharge. And then to have the battery pack literally freeze and you get to call the wrecker and find a nice warm place for it to thaw out.
My point was that a person does not have to wait at a charge station. Most places they go even to the grocery store will have electricity to be able to keep the car charged. There are more than one kind of charge plug, the 110 outlet at your house just takes longer.

https://www.pluglesspower.com/learn/can-tesla-charge-regular-110v-wall-outlet-technically-yes/

https://hybrid-cars-and-alt-fuels.y...-electric-car-with-regular-110v-or-32146.html

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

I know it doesn't necessarily relate to this car, but I know a guy with a Tesla S with a 90kw battery and asked him about that. Dealing with the charge times, and he brought up a good point. Every day he starts out with a full "tank" and seldom gets below 200 miles left on his range.

Every now and then he will have to put like 150-170 miles on his car in a day and that's pretty much 1/2 tank he said. It charges at 32-34 mph (IIRC) at his house, so even if he drained it almost completely in a single day, he still would have a full tank for work the next morning.

It does make it sound appealing for a point to point car. I can see the appeal of literally never going to a gas station again or waiting for the pump to fill. With my current commute I could probably go 2 weeks without having to plug in one of them but they are far too expensive and I don't know how to fix a damn thing on them if they break. I can't see myself being a buyer until they are sub-$20k.

OP
OP
roygriffin2020

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I know it doesn't necessarily relate to this car, but I know a guy with a Tesla S with a 90kw battery and asked him about that. Dealing with the charge times, and he brought up a good point. Every day he starts out with a full "tank" and seldom gets below 200 miles left on his range.

Every now and then he will have to put like 150-170 miles on his car in a day and that's pretty much 1/2 tank he said. It charges at 32-34 mph (IIRC) at his house, so even if he drained it almost completely in a single day, he still would have a full tank for work the next morning.

It does make it sound appealing for a point to point car. I can see the appeal of literally never going to a gas station again or waiting for the pump to fill. With my current commute I could probably go 2 weeks without having to plug in one of them but they are far too expensive and I don't know how to fix a damn thing on them if they break. I can't see myself being a buyer until they are sub-$20k.
I think if I got an electric car to putt around with I would get a Nissan Leaf. They are cheap enough and I could go back and forth to work without ever having to buy gas. I don't know how much insurance is on electric cars, but maybe cheaper.

Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Tesla's fast charge is 50% in 20 minutes. The cars would just stay plugged in overnight and always be 100% charged. I know Calgary no matter where you go they have had charge stations at all parking spots for the last 20 years or more for the engine block to keep from freezing. I mean even at church every spot had a plug in.
well I’ve only seen electric charging stations at an airport...1.5hrs away!! we are very high tech in AR lol

yeah good point, so for a DD there'd never be an issue.

i guess i was thinking of my old 7-8hr commute to see my parents, and some of the gas stations we would end up at were fairly to partly sketch.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
well I’ve only seen electric charging stations at an airport...1.5hrs away!! we are very high tech in AR lol

yeah good point, so for a DD there'd never be an issue.

i guess i was thinking of my old 7-8hr commute to see my parents, and some of the gas stations we would end up at were fairly to partly sketch.
Unless I had plenty of time, I would be taking another one of our cars for a road trip.

Tesla has a website for their superchargers, I remember looking at routes and even from Denver to KC it would get pretty annoying to spend 1.5 hours charging if you wanted to make it in a day.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the charging issue is fundamentally for when on the road. If you can come back to home base where you have a dedicated slot for your car, it's a non-issue even if all you can do is 'trickle' charge it at 2 miles/hr. Electricals make perfect sense for DD of 50-100 mile radius. I still wouldn't buy one. I'd buy a hybrid instead.

OP
OP
roygriffin2020

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
the charging issue is fundamentally for when on the road. If you can come back to home base where you have a dedicated slot for your car, it's a non-issue even if all you can do is 'trickle' charge it at 2 miles/hr. Electricals make perfect sense for DD of 50-100 mile radius. I still wouldn't buy one. I'd buy a hybrid instead.
The way I look at it, I can....

Screw you Oil Companies, gas stations. no gas

No gas filter,
no oil filter or changes
no air filter
no transmission oil changes
no axle gear changes
no radiator fluid changes

almost zero maintenance...
Pretty much just tires and brakes, windshield fluid, brake fluid

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
The way I look at it, I can....

Screw you Oil Companies, gas stations. no gas

No gas filter,
no oil filter or changes
no air filter
no transmission oil changes
no axle gear changes
no radiator fluid changes

almost zero maintenance...
Pretty much just tires and brakes, windshield fluid, brake fluid
Oh just wait. You may see it as no fluids, but it’s basically a big appliance. Wait tell electronic/electrical repairs are necessary. Not to mention updates. Tesla’s are not error free.
Sponsored