Sponsored

2017 ZL1 could bring about unveiling of GT500?

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
If ford puts the ecoboost v6 in a gt500 I'd buy one. Having hp and speed is more important then sound of a v8 to me. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of a v8 and more so the sound of the voodoo. But the times are a changing and less weight, high power smaller engines are the future.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
...another consideration is, if it's using the zl1's 10 speed, the GT500 will be limited to the same output.

The zl1/CTS-V are sorta limited to a lower 640 due to the 10 speed. The manual can keep going and the z06 knows this...

So, limiting the GT500 to the same equipment as the zl1 almost ensures a very similar product. Maybe the 10 speed got buffed up from the V but, I highly doubt it.

I thought the 10-speed auto was being developed by Ford, with the 9-speed for FWD applications being developed by GM?

How do we know for sure the 10-speed has limited HP to 640? Apologies if I've missed it somewhere, but I've certainly not read that in any of the (admittedly high-level) ZL1 reports so far.

Vernichtung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I thought the 10-speed auto was being developed by Ford, with the 9-speed for FWD applications being developed by GM?

How do we know for sure the 10-speed has limited HP to 640? Apologies if I've missed it somewhere, but I've certainly not read that in any of the (admittedly high-level) ZL1 reports so far.
That was my understanding, too. At the very least, Ford owns the patents on the 10-speed; though, I would expect Ford and GM to supply their own, respective transmission tuning.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/12/exclusive-inside-look-fords-new-10-speed-transmission/

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If ford puts the ecoboost v6 in a gt500 I'd buy one. Having hp and speed is more important then sound of a v8 to me. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of a v8 and more so the sound of the voodoo. But the times are a changing and less weight, high power smaller engines are the future.
I would feel that way if I were using the car to race for money and make a living with it, but since I buy cars purely for my own personal enjoyment, I would rather have a car that sounds good - even if it isn't the fastest. I hope the car manufacturers listen and make smaller V8s rather than going to 6 cylinders.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
[..] since I buy cars purely for my own personal enjoyment, I would rather have a car that sounds good - even if it isn't the fastest. I hope the car manufacturers listen and make smaller V8s rather than going to 6 cylinders.
Same here, I buy cars (like many other things I purchase) for an overall ownership experience. Some of that comes from objective performance numbers, but just as much comes from the "vibe" of the car, and that includes things like the sound.

We stopped at the grocery the other day, and the woman stayed in the car with it running - when I walked to the back to put the supplies in the trunk, the sound (even just idling) gave me a *huge* grin. :cheers:

Sponsored

Swamp Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep Liberty
Dumb question from a non-engineer guy. Why not a twin-turbo straight 6? Aluminum block too? Wouldn't you get a mill that's both high-winding and smooth?

Last edited:

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Ok i'll let you think that all so why would you want a 10 speed transmission where and when are you going to use all 10 speeds
I cant answer that right now because I don't have one. But we all know how well the 8speed trannys are making the 2016 Camaro SS, and Challenger/Chargers perform. The new SS is as fast as it is BECAUSE of the A8... the manual is nowhere near as fast. More gears keep the car in its powerband longer.

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
Dumb question from a non-engineer guy. Why not a twin-turbo straight 6? Aluminum block too? Wouldn't you get a mill that's both high-winding and smooth?

In assuming they're a little longer.

I love the AMC 4.0 that was in the Cherokees for years. Those things were bullet proof.

I6 engines are better as far as vibrations go. Way easier to balance out. They don't need a balance shaft or counterweights. They probably have a little bit better response because of that. Also they weigh less.

I'd have to see how long the 4.0 was but it's got to be a bit longer than a V6 of similar size. Have to have somewhere to fit it. Take one of my favorite cars that we can't get here in the US, the TVR Sagaris, it had a straight six engine. Large front end.

That's just my observations. I'd be down for a straight six engine though.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I cant answer that right now because I don't have one. But Look up the ratios by gear if you don't believe me. we all know how well the 8speed trannys are making the 2016 Camaro SS, and Challenger/Chargers perform. The new SS is as fast as it is BECAUSE of the A8... the manual is nowhere near as fast. More gears keep the car in its powerband longer.
Negative. The Camaro SS is faster because it is lighter and has more horse power. You'll use the same 4 gears in a race with the A6 as you would with an A8. Look up the ratios by gear for both transmissions if you don't believe me.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550

I would need to locate the 10 speeds specs but, I can only assume there are limitations on the transmission. GM and Ford both typically designed their previous autos for that specific model/engine and GVWR.

It the GT500 comes with a 10 Speed Auto, not only will it be limited to zl1 levels of output, Chevy will know exactly what's in the GT500.

If it's the TT3.5, that is zl1 levels of output...

I highly doubt Ford has shown the GT500 engine yet. I feel it will be unique but not with Coyote-Voodoo differences. Obviously, it will be related to one or the other. Transmission specs will ultimately tell you where the product is going.

Sponsored

Redzone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z06/FGT
Because it will be a faster car...
With all due respect....so what? I've been running HPDE's for the last twenty years and have yet to see anyone "win". Or collect any money.

I buy cars to track that are the most fun to me to drive. Mostly Corvettes and Vipers with a Boss 302 thrown in a couple years back. And every one has been a manual because I just feel more in control and connected to the car.

Having said that, I couldn't care less if the next GT500 is available in an automatic. To each their own. But I might change my mind if they offered a DCT:love:.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'm not trying to be argumentative (and being a Mod, I have to set a good example :p ) but.......

Could the following not be true:

1 - The ZL1 may actually arrive with MORE than the currently stated 640hp? (remember what Dodge said before the Hellcat was officially rated.....it would be "at least 650hp" and that ended up as a 707 (underrated) by the time it hit the streets

2 - Who's to say, just because GM have launched first, that the 10-speed auto is limited to 640hp? As I say, the ZL1 may be rated higher at launch......or perhaps GM wants to artificially keep the power below the Corvette, for now at least.

3 - Whilst the underlying hardware of the 10-speed will be the same, both GM and Ford will have their own varying parameters for each application.

4 - OK this one's obviously light hearted......but if Ford developed the 10-speed, perhaps that set it up to handle well over 700hp for themselves, but limited it to 650hp for GM :p

As I say, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just really interested in how "shared development" like this actually works. What are the pros and cons etc :)

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I'm not trying to be argumentative (and being a Mod, I have to set a good example :p ) but.......

1 - The ZL1 may actually arrive with MORE than the currently stated 640hp? (remember what Dodge said before the Hellcat was officially rated.....it would be "at least 650hp" and that ended up as a 707 (underrated) by the time it hit the streets

2 - Who's to say, just because GM have launched first, that the 10-speed auto is limited to 640hp? As I say, the ZL1 may be rated higher at launch......or perhaps GM wants to artificially keep the power below the Corvette, for now at least.

3 - Whilst the underlying hardware of the 10-speed will be the same, both GM and Ford will have their own varying parameters for each application.

4 - OK this one's obviously light hearted......but if Ford developed the 10-speed, perhaps that set it up to handle well over 700hp for themselves, but limited it to 650hp for GM :p

As I say, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just really interested in how "shared development" like this actually works. What are the pros and cons etc :)

I think the HP target is pretty set in stone, GM won't let it have more power than the Z06, and even on the Chevy site, this isn't like TBD type marketing, this is pretty specific (see screencap from Chevrolet.com)

Personally, I don't think we should infer the peak the HP/torque capability of the new 10-speed from the ZL1. I think the HP target was based on the existing LT4 implementation in the C7 - which itself was likely a combination of power, reliability, cost, and target market - minus a touch for marketing (or possibly packaging). I'd suspect the 10-speed will at least handle 650 and make it into the Z06 next year.

I'd imagine with as modular as car manufacturing is, there would be an option to use enough of the 10-speed components to get a good EOS, but still allow for model specific variants.

:cheers:
Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 2.10.03 PM.png

Last edited:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550

Sure, anything is possible...

But in a world on a budget, we need to look at probability and not possibilities. The manual will always have a mechanical advantage in torque capacity just due to the design of a clutch. You also have more parasitic losses AND, even more points of failure with more gears.

Look at the LSA and LS9 applications vs. the TR6060 and HM6L90.

Now, the possibility of a lighter car getting a bit of wiggle room is decent too. The old CTS-V and zl1 were a perfect example... but, as you see, once the ZL1 went from 551 to 556tq, the manuals tail stock needed reinforced... and there was a 100lbs difference.

I'm not sure how much the Camaro is willing to separate from the CTS-V. Or, if it can afford to make any changes.

By offering an auto, we can tell the zl1 will be very close to the CTS-V. That is something Chevy can't see in the GT500.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I just discovered that Ford led the way on the 10 Speed RWD based Auto.

GM is leading the way on the FWD 9 Speed.

I have no idea what Ford withheld from GM.
Sponsored