CostCo Gas

Tw00sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1965 Mustang Coupe
I buy my toilet paper from Costco, not gas for my car. Especially for a performance car, why risk it? I never understood why people would wait in line 30 mins to save a few cents on gas.

Just what I wanted on a Saturday afternoon!
They also sit in their cars with the AC blasting here in Texas waiting 30 minutes burning away any savings they would of made at the pump. I rather go to Shell and pull right in and gas and go.
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
They also sit in their cars with the AC blasting here in Texas waiting 30 minutes burning away any savings they would of made at the pump. I rather go to Shell and pull right in and gas and go.
My favorite are the absolute psychopaths that leave their car running while filling up with fuel because it's "hot outside."

TRS7139

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I buy my toilet paper from Costco, not gas for my car. Especially for a performance car, why risk it? I never understood why people would wait in line 30 mins to save a few cents on gas.

Yeah, find out how many gas brands there are in the US, then find out (easy) how many refineries there are blending gas. Not to complicated to figure it out. You take more chances at old stations with water in their tanks than you ever will at Costco.
I have seen no less than 6 wholsalers tankers at my closest Sunoco alone in the last 6-8 months.

Last edited:

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford

I pump Costco gas almost exclusively. I wanted to see if it was any good compared to Chevron/76(I don't touch Shell/Arco), and through my research I found out that they perform *weekly* QC checks on their gas to make sure there's no contaminants, when the requirement is once every 3 months. I doubt your 1-attendant-at-all-times gas stations around town do that kind of frequent testing when they have cigarettes to sell and hot dogs to heat up. Meanwhile at Costco I see a new gas tanker filling up the tanks near me at least every other day, if not every day, which means their gasoline is always fresh.

No such thing as dirty nozzles, or cracked rubber hoses, and there's always at least 2 attendants focusing solely on gas duties. I can tell you've never waited in a Costco gas line because with all the pumps they have, card-only transactions, extended length hoses that can fill any side of a car, the line goes by quickly. It's usually .30-50 cents cheaper than other top tier gas. At 20k miles, that's saved me $500-800+.

You can read more about it here:
https://www.costco.com/gasoline-q-and-a.html

Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Agree with the major themes here. Base gas is gas, octane ratings DO matter (and are tested and must be compliant), additives matter, once you're in Top Tier land they are all just fine and you can pick what you like (I do Shell, BP, Costco, Chevron depending on availability).

HOWEVER one point that has not been raised is turnover. Going to Costco can be great because they sell a LOT of gas, so what you're getting is fresh. You don't want to get premium fuel from Joe Bob's Gas Pump where the premium tank has been sitting there half full for a month, collecting moisture and breaking down into varnish.

Last point - if you see the tanker truck at the station when you pull up, LEAVE and fill up somewhere else. During and after the tank filling, a lot of crap that settles at the bottom of the tank gets stirred up and that is when you pump it into your car. Wait a few hours and come back.

Narwaniec594

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
17 Gt350
I run shelby on costco gas almost every time and never had problems. pumped BP and shell but didnt see a difference. Just in wallet, especially here in chicago premium can be over
4 $ .But seeing people at costco, with their gas door on the other side of the pump and trying to stretch that gas hose over their cars roof, awesome :cwl:

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
My son played for a summer baseball team out of Whiting Indiana, home of a huge"BP" refinery. Employees of the refinery told me same thing. That they sell that gas to all companies, in the Midwest. But refineries must sell to a specific region because of additives for pollution or octane limits.
Gasoline is shipped in pipelines in a relatively generic form. Various companies get their gas from the pipeline (which has at least a basic additive package) and then some companies add their own additive package to the fuel. Most of the majors (in fact, ALL of the majors) to the best of my knowledge meet the "top tier" standard (a standard developed by a group of large automobile manufacturers). Some off brands sell pipeline gas. Some use their own additive packages and some conform to the top tier standard. When I last checked the top tier web site, Costco met the top tier standard.

<TED>

oldnick9333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 15 GTPP, 02 Lightning
Last point - if you see the tanker truck at the station when you pull up, LEAVE and fill up somewhere else. During and after the tank filling, a lot of crap that settles at the bottom of the tank gets stirred up and that is when you pump it into your car. Wait a few hours and come back.
I always wondered about this. I've been told that this does not happen as much anymore. I forgot how or why.

In any case, I stopped using Costco gas about 12 years ago after my sensitive setting knock sensors went
berserk on my new motor in my 02 Lightning. I quickly drove around for a couple of hours and then put in
race gas until the tank was almost empty. I probably got an isolated bad batch of gas. Don't know but have
not used Costco premium since. Besides, the line of cars at my nearest Costco are too long.

ameapm2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Genesis 2018 GT350

But the manual says 91 is the minimum you can use but if you need performance they recommend 93.

Sponsored

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase

ameapm2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Genesis 2018 GT350

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I have seen this article. So if the engine can run on 87 octane, it can definitely run on 91 octane. It's just that the power will be less on 91 octane.
That's what was said... but the manual says at minimum 91. The take on all of this if you're in a pinch on a 60K plus vehicle that 87 will be ok.... but don't try to pull 8250 pulls or use 87 for too long.

ameapm2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Genesis 2018 GT350
That's what was said... but the manual says at minimum 91. The take on all of this if you're in a pinch on a 60K plus vehicle that 87 will be ok.... but don't try to pull 8250 pulls or use 87 for too long.
I usually fill 93 octane from BP. I had remember filling 91 octane from Costco once. I would never experiment with 87 octane in this car. lol

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang