Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Of course there is.

This is true. Base fuel same. Additives completely different.

I used Costco 93 exclusively from about last March through this month. A few weeks ago I decided to try a few tanks of Shell 93 and to me there is a noticeable difference. My engine clearly prefers the Shell. Unfortunately Shell is very proud of their gas and charge accordingly. I can get Costco 93 currently for $1.94/gal whereas the cheapest Shell in a 15 mile radius from my home is $2.33/gal. I'm no fan of paying an additional $5 for a tank of gas so I will likely only run the Shell about once for every 3-4 Costco tanks. Luckily my commute isn't too far and I only have to fill up once a week. But if I used Shell exclusively it would cost me roughly an additional $240 a year. The butt dyno results just aren't worth throwing away that kind of money.
What I wouldnt give for my gas prices to be $2.33 for the expensive stuff. You, sir, are lucky!
Sponsored

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
Chevron, Shell as second choice, 76 third. For our choices out here.

As others have correctly said, the base stock is same/similar and competitor
refineries regularly supply each other as needed....

It is the additive pack that makes the most difference. Corvette owners
run a few tanks of Chevron to clear up stuck fuel tank sensors.
They used to ship Chevron to Detroit, ( when not available there) for big 3 testing
and EPA certification.
A buddy of mine had a older Honda daily driver fail smog, told he needs a new cat.
Told him run a few tanks of Chevron premium, along with a bottle of Tectron,
and lo and behold passed smog.

Chevron is very stringent, along with Shell on meeting octane requirements
and while all are supposed to, I feel ok paying a few cents more to be sure.
I can tell you from personal experience that I had hard starting from a
Arco tank in the Vette, had to, was low, and they are top tier.
On top tier, used to mean something, but now has been diluted as Arco
is top tier, and basically the companies pay to join top tier.

unavailableGT350

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 White with Blue Stripes
What I wouldnt give for my gas prices to be $2.33 for the expensive stuff. You, sir, are lucky!
Use the GasBuddy to find the kind you want. Here in Grapevine/Dallas area is Shell gas for Premium. You can change it to search for Regular

Dallas/DFW prices

http://www.fortworthgasprices.com/G...=adv&fuel=C&srch=0&station=Shell&tme_limit=24

Seattle Shell Premium

http://www.seattlegasprices.com/GasPriceSearch.aspx?typ=adv&fuel=C&srch=0&station=Shell&tme_limit=24

Last edited:

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
I'm ok with anything Top Tier. I haven't used non top tier fuel in a while. Valero is righth down the street and has cheap 93, usually around 2.40, so that's my go to if I'm in town.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Only top tier I dont touch around here is Arco.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Lived in Seattle most of the my life. Trust me, I feel your pain. Filling up the Raptor's 36 gallon tank damn near took a line of credit.

Checkmate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
All gas is the same. Only thing you need to look at is the Octane Ratings as there are Federal mandates on Octane levels.

The only difference between say Exxon and other non 'Top Tier' brands is the additives (detergents) that are used. These additives and detergents vary from vary brand to brand are in place to minimize carbon deposits in the motor. That being said, you can also buy Non-Top Tier gas and simply pour in a bottle of Chevron Techron every 3,000 miles or so.

As for me - I pump Non Top Tier gas on all my cars. I simply pour in Techron every 3000 miles and am solid.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
All gas is the same. Only thing you need to look at is the Octane Ratings as there are Federal mandates on Octane levels.

The only difference between say Exxon and other non 'Top Tier' brands is the additives (detergents) that are used. These additives and detergents vary from vary brand to brand are in place to minimize carbon deposits in the motor. That being said, you can also buy Non-Top Tier gas and simply pour in a bottle of Chevron Techron every 3,000 miles or so.

As for me - I pump Non Top Tier gas on all my cars. I simply pour in Techron every 3000 miles and am solid.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/

Checkmate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Not sure what your point is with that link. I know Top Tier gas has additives/detergents. My comments states that too.

I said you don't have to married to a Top Tier gas brand. You can still go non-Top Tier and use an additive like Chevron Techron every 3000 miles and be fine as both clean injectors and intake valves.

The way I see it, save upto .40cents a gallon every time which adds up and then throw in some Techron periodically (12oz. bottle is only $4.99 on Amazon).

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Not sure what your point is with that link. I know Top Tier gas has additives/detergents. My comments states that too.

I said you don't have to married to a Top Tier gas brand. You can still go non-Top Tier and use an additive like Chevron Techron every 3000 miles and be fine as both clean injectors and intake valves.

The way I see it, save upto .40cents a gallon every time which adds up and then throw in some Techron periodically (12oz. bottle is only $4.99 on Amazon).
Just responding to your statement that all gas is the same. I'd argue that regularly running gas with additives to keep things clean is better for your engine than running without, but adding a cleaning additive periodically. Not trying to tell you what to do or that you're wrong. Your stuff, not mine.

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
I buy my toilet paper from Costco, not gas for my car. Especially for a performance car, why risk it? I never understood why people would wait in line 30 mins to save a few cents on gas.

Just what I wanted on a Saturday afternoon!
Sponsored