Sponsored

cost effective data logging laptop

bosshoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt premium
for 16 mustang gt full exhaust and whipple 2.9 sc...best price laptop that will get job done. ..oh, I have a sct live wire tunerto use with laptop
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Literally any laptop will work. I use an 8 year old $300 poc.

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang base GT w/PP
I would suggest Windows 10 with at least 8 GB of RAM. Also any Intel processor but only their i Core models. This will future proof the purchase. Here is what I recently bought for my girlfriend from BestBuy:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...hard-drive-onyx-black/6291892.p?skuId=6291892

At the time it was $390. But with BestBuy, when you buy something watch the price for the next 4 to 6 weeks depending on your rewards status. I price matched twice within that period and ended up getting the laptop for $290 after you count the price matches. Now after that, I changed out the 1 TB hard drive to a Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB model solid state drive. I got that for $110, price matched over that month or so and got it for about $80. Right now that drive is on sale for $85. The laptop is super fast booting up, like 2.something seconds... She can drag it around anywhere and we don't have to worry about shock. And the battery life improved after the solid state drive was installed.

Anyway, if I had to do it over, i would do the exact same thing if I needed to datalog in the car. The ssd isn't absolutely necessary, but it does make the laptop so much faster that it feels like a $1000 model.

OP
OP
bosshoss

bosshoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt premium
I would suggest Windows 10 with at least 8 GB of RAM. Also any Intel processor but only their i Core models. This will future proof the purchase. Here is what I recently bought for my girlfriend from BestBuy:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...hard-drive-onyx-black/6291892.p?skuId=6291892

At the time it was $390. But with BestBuy, when you buy something watch the price for the next 4 to 6 weeks depending on your rewards status. I price matched twice within that period and ended up getting the laptop for $290 after you count the price matches. Now after that, I changed out the 1 TB hard drive to a Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB model solid state drive. I got that for $110, price matched over that month or so and got it for about $80. Right now that drive is on sale for $85. The laptop is super fast booting up, like 2.something seconds... She can drag it around anywhere and we don't have to worry about shock. And the battery life improved after the solid state drive was installed.

Anyway, if I had to do it over, i would do the exact same thing if I needed to datalog in the car. The ssd isn't absolutely necessary, but it does make the laptop so much faster that it feels like a $1000 model.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bosshoss

bosshoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt premium
thanks for all the info....will look into this laprop

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.
I got an Acer Aspire 5 at Walmart for $380.00 Works great.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I picked up a used Lenovo Thinkpad Intel Core 2 duo processor and 4G mem with Win 7 pro on it, bought a new battery and have $62 in the whole setup. Works great. Has wireless capability and bluetooth. Runs the Livelink II software and SCT updater with no issues at all. Livelink II is compatible with any .cvs datalog file that can be opened with Excel Spreadsheet. Ngauge datalogs can also be VIEWED (not created) with Livelink II if one chooses to do so. Makes it a lot easiser to look at then trying to pan through the spread sheet. Nothing fancy needed.

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have a one year old dell i3 that I used for HP Tuners and Holley when I was doing LS stuff that worked great. It’s a touchscreen and it can be folded in half to just be a tablet if you wanted. I plan to reformat it tomorrow to list it for sale if you’d be interested.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I use my 11 year old dell XPS. It's a tank but its still pretty fast and logs fine. I need something smaller though it barely fits on the front seat.

As long as it'll run windows 7/10 fine it'll run livelink 2 just fine.

Sponsored

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I could hook you up with my old Hp 2760p if you'd like. It has a touchscreen which rotates into tablet mode and is currently running windows 10. IIRC I also put an extended life battery on it.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested, I can ship it with a fresh legit copy of windows 10 pro all ready to go. IMO entry level store bought laptops are not worth owning, they are usually crap hardware and only last a few years. Second hand enterprise grade stuff is the way to go.

VikingJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Last year I bought an RCA windows tablet for $120 at Walmart. Comes with windows 10 and a removable keyboard. It is the best data logging windows machine due to its size and cost. Not sure if they still sell them though.

OP
OP
bosshoss

bosshoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt premium
I could hook you up with my old Hp 2760p if you'd like. It has a touchscreen which rotates into tablet mode and is currently running windows 10. IIRC I also put an extended life battery on it.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested, I can ship it with a fresh legit copy of windows 10 pro all ready to go. IMO entry level store bought laptops are not worth owning, they are usually crap hardware and only last a few years. Second hand enterprise grade stuff is the way to go.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP