5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Hi all, I Have a 17 GT with about 37k miles on it that used to be a daily driver up until a year ago (I work remotely now) and I saw that the coolant gets changed out at about this time interval; I know I'm good mileage wise for the coolant but time wise, not really? So I had the thought that if I'm changing the coolant, do the hoses too? How long are the hoses good for?
Thanks for any help.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hoses are good for at least 10 years depending on a multitude of factors. I've seen hoses on 20 year old cars still be functional if on the decline. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see damage to the rubber, swelling, or they get crunchy. Modern rubber is pretty durable.

Deleted member 69033

Man, I have a Ford gt 40 multiport in my Nautique, and it's an 01, hoses look fine. Hoses can last 20 years, or split in a few years. Would I go through and replace them without them being broken? No. Usually they start with a slow leak and you can fix that easily enough, but I've never heard of anyone going thru and replacing all hoses in a ride.... Seems like overkill.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
OP
OP
5.0_SD

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
^^^That's why asked...I'm one of the older folk here, lol.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
That's why asked...I'm one of the older folk here, lol.
When I had mine in for an AC compressor I had them change the belts. I asked about the hoses and was told they should last the life of the car.

I'm skeptical but hope they do.

I'm older too, I remember when points ruled.

Deleted member 69033

Used to be hoses would last about 5 years.
I'm not sure when that was.... Maybe super cheap hoses? Good hoses are good for a damn long time. Since forever..... I own stuff built in the 50s, one been thru the family since, and still is using the piece of hose from the pickup to the engine since 1954. And still works fine.

I certainly don't doubt there's crappy hoses out there, but good hoses have always lasted a long time.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I think you are good on keeping your current hoses for now unless they are starting to leak or look worn out. MAYBE* the rule of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" would apply to your current hoses. You can change the fluid though.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Maybe super cheap hoses?
Gates or good year. 1960's 70's 80's 90's.

Spark plugs lasted about 15,000. Water pumps starters and alternators were also wear items that got replaced fairly often.

Deleted member 69033

Gates or good year. 1960's 70's 80's 90's.

Spark plugs lasted about 15,000. Water pumps starters and alternators were also wear items that got replaced fairly often.
Never head such a thing in all my years, a decade of which was being a mechanic.

See the red hose on the bottom of this engine? Been there since 1954, still works fine....
Screenshot_20221117-164618_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
When I had mine in for an AC compressor I had them change the belts. I asked about the hoses and was told they should last the life of the car.

I'm skeptical but hope they do.

I'm older too, I remember when points ruled.
LOL I hate when they say that. Total bullshit. Excuse my language but when those bastards say "last the life of the car" all they really mean is last for the life of the warranty, then you are on your own! They don't care what shape the car turns into once the warranty is up and our money is on the line for repairs. I say stick with the recommended manufacturer service intervals with mix of a little common sense. Keep the car well maintained for continued enjoyment into the future. Hoses, rubber seals, belts, fluids... they all wear out eventually.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I'm not sure when that was.... Maybe super cheap hoses? Good hoses are good for a damn long time. Since forever..... I own stuff built in the 50s, one been thru the family since, and still is using the piece of hose from the pickup to the engine since 1954. And still works fine.

I certainly don't doubt there's crappy hoses out there, but good hoses have always lasted a long time.
Hello; the time was back in the 50's, 60's, 70's for sure. Had a 1970 Opel Rallye Cadet bought new and had a radiator hose fail in the first three years.

Being old also I do this. After about five to eight years i replace all the easy to get at hoses with new. I put the factory original hoses which had not failed in the trunk as a quick emergency repair if needed. On my 2001 car it is still running on the replacement hoses put on at least 16 years ago.
Did the same for my 2004 pickup about 12 years ago. So far the replacements have held up. Guess hoses are better than the old days.

Did the same thing for the accessory drive belts at close to the same time. Replacements still have not failed and have the good originals tucked away.

Good chance you are fine.

OP
OP
5.0_SD

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Might as well ask this too...when do you guys change your main belt?

Deleted member 69033

Might as well ask this too...when do you guys change your main belt?
Man, belts are trickier, lol. Visual inspection can tell you a lot about a belt imho, but they're easy to get to and change, and generally affordable, so I don't let my belts get questionable.