Coolant Below “Min”

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Purchased 2018 gt in January 2019 I never really paid attention to my coolant granted it’s a brand new car I didn’t think I had to honestly but the other night with a relatively cold motor “car had been sitting almost 6 hours” I took notice to my coolant level being slightly below the minimum line I haven’t noticed any issues with my car never smelled anything out the ordinary but truth be told I never really remember seeing the overflow tank full of coolant the few times I did look under my hood is it possible it just got a low fill from factory? And no telling how long I have been driving like this but is there any harm that could have been done granted it’s below the “min” line? I plan to go to the dealer in the morning and pick up the 50/50 prediluted mix and fill it up to the “min” line Car has just shy of 7,000 miles now
2AC2D7ED-C2CA-4E6E-93F5-2FD8554F336A.jpeg
Sponsored

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
That small amount below the min line will not cause any issues. Mine was the same way when I took delivery. Use the pre-diluted orange antifreeze and fill it to a point between the lines and then use that point as a reference for future checks.

OP
OP

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
That small amount below the min line will not cause any issues. Mine was the same way when I took delivery. Use the pre-diluted orange antifreeze and fill it to a point between the lines and then use that point as a reference for future checks.
Ok great thank you and if it drops again I need to take it to dealer correct?

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
If it drops a lot, yes. Over time (months), it may very slowly drop a little, but this is normal for the most part. In every car I have owned, I have always had to add a bit every year or so. I would think my Mustang would be no different.

Keep in mind that outside temp can have a slight impact on the level. On a very cold day, it might be slightly lower that it would on a hot day, all else being equal.

OP
OP

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
If it drops a lot, yes. Over time (months), it may very slowly drop a little, but this is normal for the most part. In every car I have owned, I have always had to add a bit every year or so. I would think my Mustang would be no different.

Keep in mind that outside temp can have a slight impact on the level. On a very cold day, it might be slightly lower that it would on a hot day, all else being equal.
Another question do I necessarily have to wait till it’s a stone cold motor to add? I planned to take a trip tommorow and the destination is about an hr away I have already done it before but I wanted to add coolant for peace of mind before I went and I was leaving tommorow after I go to the dealership so motor will be slightly warm and then I planned to add the rest Tuesday morning on a cold motor

Sponsored

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
The danger is with a hot engine. If you loosen the cap, you could get a nasty surprise as the pressure releases. On the other hand, if the motor is merely warm (off for a couple of hours), then it is safe to take off the cap. You can add coolant, but understand that the level will be a bit lower when you check it later stone cold.

OP
OP

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
The danger is with a hot engine. If you loosen the cap, you could get a nasty surprise as the pressure releases. On the other hand, if the motor is merely warm (off for a couple of hours), then it is safe to take off the cap. You can add coolant, but understand that the level will be a bit lower when you check it later stone cold.
Yeah I just wanna add just a tad before my trip then I will do the actual fill on Tuesday on a cold motor for accurate measurement

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Car should be stone cold when adding coolant, that’s the most accurate “fill” as well as seeing how low it really is based on the content in the bottle. You can add distilled water at that level - no need to go hunting down and adding actual coolant.

Also to note, be sure to check out the lower coolant hose coming off the bottle. Some members on here have found that the clamp was not holding the hose on tight enough and others had found that the hose had a small split in it, allowing coolant to seep.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
I had the same coolant drop in small amounts. I top off my 2018 GT about four times this summer and spring. I checked all of the hoses and fittings but could not find any leaks. i prayed that my motor was not leaking internally. Had the car in at the dealer for a A10 transmission re-flash and told them about my issue. They pulled off the belly pan and discovered that the radiator was leaking where the plastic end cap crimps onto the aluminum radiator core. The radiator was replaced last week under warranty at 6K mileage.

OP
OP

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Car should be stone cold when adding coolant, that’s the most accurate “fill” as well as seeing how low it really is based on the content in the bottle. You can add distilled water at that level - no need to go hunting down and adding actual coolant.Also to note, be sure to check out the lower coolant hose coming off the bottle. Some members on here have found that the clamp was not holding the hose on tight enough and others had found that the hose had a small split in it, allowing coolant to seep.
Will do thanks for the info I didn’t add any I’m gonna wait for a cold motor on tomorrow

Sponsored
OP
OP

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I had the same coolant drop in small amounts. I top off my 2018 GT about four times this summer and spring. I checked all of the hoses and fittings but could not find any leaks. i prayed that my motor was not leaking internally. Had the car in at the dealer for a A10 transmission re-flash and told them about my issue. They pulled off the belly pan and discovered that the radiator was leaking where the plastic end cap crimps onto the aluminum radiator core. The radiator was replaced last week under warranty at 6K mileage.
I’m gonna do a fill on a cold motor tommorow morning and monitor progress from there.

OP
OP

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Welp verdict is I think something is wrong I came out to my car this morning I didn’t drive it and coolant seems to have moved quite a bit I showed where it was when I left for my trip where it was this morning and then I filled it up to where it currently sits
E8B08F98-8131-4A3F-9DFF-A1249E3C48E8.jpeg
487DD560-5D61-457F-93DD-B89207F2F93E.jpeg
4C1CCAF1-7458-48A4-8EAB-616A6C8A7ADD.jpeg

OP
OP

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Just took a short drive I got out head temp was at 203 and car was warm
53978BE0-FB6F-4B76-A532-6072380FA634.jpeg

OP
OP

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I updated my post and without even doing a cold fill I think I may have a slight problem coolant seems to have dropped from initial level before I took my first drive

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So you added coolant when the engine was completely cold, then checked it a day or two later without ever driving it and the level dropped?

If the level is dropping while the car just sits without ever running than take a flashlight and look around in the engine compartment for any signs of coolant leakage.
Sponsored