Convertible audio upgrades

Mickeymeanie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Convertible - PP
Fellow Vert owners, have you upgraded your stock audio components? I am looking to upgrade andcwould like to hear your experience with upgrading.

Right now I'm looking at a new amp and new 3 way component front speakers. Amp is JL Audio VX6006I and speakers are Focal 165AS3.

One thing I'm undecided on is base... I don't care for a big boom, but definitely want depth.
Sponsored

5 O UFO

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
Sub'd

I am interested in this myself. I am more interested in leaving the factory head unit and replacing the speakers and adding a small discrete sub for more punch when the top is down. Nothing large or obnoxious.

OP
OP

Mickeymeanie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Sub'd

I am interested in this myself. I am more interested in leaving the factory head unit and replacing the speakers and adding a small discrete sub for more punch when the top is down. Nothing large or obnoxious.
Exactly what I'm doing. In addition to what I noted above, I'm adding two subs where the rear speakers are with a small amp to drive them. All of this will be integrated and tuned with the JL VX600 amp.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I replaced the rear speakers, as noted in my build.

The interior is too cheap to fully enjoy the sound of an upgraded system... unless you budget for fixing the rattles.

OP
OP

Mickeymeanie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
I replaced the rear speakers, as noted in my build.

The interior is too cheap to fully enjoy the sound of an upgraded system... unless you budget for fixing the rattles.
My goal is definitely not to have a big boom from subs... Just want solid low frequency with clear crisp mids and highs, so the rattles shouldn't be an issue LOL.

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
My goal is definitely not to have a big boom from subs... Just want solid low frequency with clear crisp mids and highs, so the rattles shouldn't be an issue LOL.
I had a rattle from the rear I never found... sounded like metal on metal. The interior would rattle so much without music, it drove me crazy. I probably should have spent a couple of hundred dollars fixing all of that.. but oh well. In my case, not so much as the music... but even then on certain songs, no blasting of music, I'd get strange vibrations (rattles). With my muffler upgrade, maybe I had to play it a little loud, but not too much.... no more than any other system I ever used.

But let me stop...

Do the upgrade... the car can sound good.. more than enough room to make a premium system. Some don't like the size of the Mustang (some say too big), but I think it is perfect. Huge trunk space, all things considered.

OP
OP

Mickeymeanie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Audio upgrade complete... My wallet is lighter but my system sounds amazing!

Focal 3 Way 165AS3 in front
Focal 6.5" weather proof woofers in the rear (don't recall model #)
JL Audio VX6006I 6 channel amp for front 3 ways
JL Audio 2 channel amp for rear woofers
Ended up having to leave the center speaker connected otherwise I lost navigation audio, Bluetooth phone audio, and back up sensor beeps...

Installer spent several hours tuning it using music from my Spotify playlists, and then tuned some more after my initial demo impression. Initial treble was too much for my taste so that was tuned down, mid-range is spot on for my taste, and the bass is perfect... No big boom, but it hits just enough and when it should. Now if it would stop raining I can log some top down time to see how it performs...

5 O UFO

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
Excellent!! Congratulations Paul! Wish I lived close and could request a demo. Estimate of how much lighter you wallet has become?

OP
OP

Mickeymeanie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
6A57180C-105F-45BD-B51D-CC54AA647353.jpeg
2F9F8E95-0E97-46CF-B260-EE6A99297C9E.jpeg
Excellent!! Congratulations Paul! Wish I lived close and could request a demo. Estimate of how much lighter you wallet has become?
I had it all installed at a local Cartoys. They have done some work for me in the past and did a clean nice install. So $3,500 total... That is speakers, amps, supplies, custom built ABS mounts for each speaker, all new wiring, and of course labor. It was honestly more than I anticipated and/or planned for... But to get what I wanted it grew to this.

They were fair on the components and supplies... I priced them all out online and they were right in line with what I could have bought them for on my own.

Attached a couple of pics of the front and rear speakers during install.

toplessfun

Photographer / IS Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.yankiyuksel.com
First Name
Yanki
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
I have upgraded my stereo nearly 2.5 years ago. I'm loving every minute of music I play on it now. I have plenty of base, mid range and highs even at high speeds on the highway with the top down. :)

The components I have are...

Audio Control Epicenter 1200 (for the sub)
Mosconi AS200.4 (Powering the Woofer and mid ranges in the front stage)
Audio Control D-4.800 (for the rear speakers as well as the front tweeters)
Audio Control DM-810 DSP
Focal Elite K2 ES 165 KX3 3 Ways for the front stage.
Focal AS165 two-way speakers for the rear channel.
Orion XTRPRO 12" Sub in a custom enclosure (firing upwards)
IMG_7137.JPG
IMG_7138.JPG
IMG_7140.JPG

Sponsored

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Wow these are some nice upgrades. I also think audio quality is pretty subpar but not willing to spend money on it at the moment. Other more interesting projects.

Rippermac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible PP A10
Info on the sub box? Custom? Where from? Cost? What sub is that? Signal from?
Thanks

bullcity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Info on the sub box? Custom? Where from? Cost? What sub is that? Signal from?
Thanks
Subwoofer box:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Musta...895369?hash=item3d46ec4909:g:6DEAAOSwPCVX6cl7

Subwoofer:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00161382E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amp:
https://www.amazon.com/AudioControl...ntrol+6.1200&qid=1557249457&s=wireless&sr=8-1

I'm using the amp to power JL audio door and rear speakers. There is space on each side of the subwoofer box. One side has a extra battery (Why not?) and the other side has the amp. I've also lined the entire trunk with

Off brand Dynomat

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URUIKAK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bullcity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I just pulled some part from the map lights trying to get rid of the damn engine noise. I need to bring it back to the shop to have them look it over.
Sponsored