Consistent limp mode

Cue_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Niko
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Hey all, I am new to the Mustang platform and to the V8 American side in general. While I have had my Mustang at this point for a tiny bit over a year it is quite different from my old boosted Infiniti's and Nissans. I am curious if this something other experience,

In low traction situations (I had 275 street tires not my VMS 17" M/T S/S 305s on as in the video) if I hit the rev limiter hard enough my car will throw a wrench and put me straight into limp mode and then sometimes not always a check engine light will appear for (per Ford Pass App) reached its Adaptive learning limits with the fuel control system and its adaptive fuel control system limits for an overly lean condition. I did a code check and it is always P0171 - System Too Lean Bank 1.

Now I know asking someone online to diagnose my car is an insane task, but I would appreciate some input. Do we think this is from a poor tune? Is bouncing off the rev limiter normal for this to happen for these cars? or is there some known issue with the fuel system that may cause this under WOT that I do not know about? My car is tuned through National Speed out of Richmond, I have JLT intake, Texas Speed Catless Headers, H-Pipe, Reische Thermostat and Oil-Air Separator.

Check the video out, my launch was okay it was a cold Florida night and my tires were way too cold (only launched around 1.5k rpm) and the track at BMP was not the best (AWD Audis were spinning hard). Just curious to what yall think. Thanks for anyone's insight. Used to my old VR30 bouncing off the rev limiter and nothing of this sort ever happening.

Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Bouncing off the limiter isn't advised. Maybe better tires so your not spinning.

OP
OP
Cue_5oh

Cue_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Niko
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Bouncing off the limiter isn't advised. Maybe better tires so your not spinning.
Well I have set of 17 inch VMS with mickeys just wasn't wearing those shoes that night unfortunately. I am still on stock axles scared I am going to snap them on a drag race with those lol

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
You don't say what trans you have. If auto you need a better tune. If manual start in 2nd.

OP
OP
Cue_5oh

Cue_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Niko
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
You don't say what trans you have. If auto you need a better tune. If manual start in 2nd.
It is a 10 Speed, in this I was in first gear. Okay that makes sense I will try it out.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
A10 you should be able to launch in first and not hit the rev limiter. Starting in 2nd or 3rd can be a band-aid but you really need to revisit your tune.

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
Are you leaving the shifter in D or in S and manually shifting using the paddles?

OP
OP
Cue_5oh

Cue_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Niko
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Are you leaving the shifter in D or in S and manually shifting using the paddles?
For roll racing I do manual as I shift much higher than the auto shift point, for drag racing I leave it in drag mode, traction off and "D". The track in the video was not that good prep, so when I left I had OK traction then all of a sudden it spun bounced off rev limiter and off into limp mode I went down the track.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Do these cars cut fuel when you hit the limiter? that be why it throw a lean code if they cut fuel when bouncing off the limiter.

OP
OP
Cue_5oh

Cue_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Niko
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Do these cars cut fuel when you hit the limiter? that be why it throw a lean code if they cut fuel when bouncing off the limiter.
I was thinking something on those lines, car doesn't run bad after limp mode just a lingering code. I think I am going to order my boost parts here soon as I plan to go On3 single turbo through PBD tuning and see what they say.
Sponsored