Confirmed: Mustang GT PP2 Overheats in 3 laps on track

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Yikes hopefully Martin can explain this one to me I am pretty sure it was stated this is never ever said. Also then why are so many Camaro owners on here to troll then? It is one thing to be constructive but I see nothing but negative posts. Maybe you guys might want to pm blaq?

"No. It's NOT "too much brand loyalty" over here. Maybe you're on the wrong site. There is nothing wrong with someone being brand loyal. At least we're here and not over on that dumbass M6G site...like they seem to love coming over here. And for the record, ever since the 18 GT came out, the Mustang guys have been the ones trying to compare it to the ZL1 and Hellcat. It in no way comes even close to either of those cars. Not by a long shot. Most of us here laugh at it. The GT is SS and SRT competition IF that and at best. You got a problem with the comparison, blame it on the GT guys who think they can bang out with us."

That is from C6G :eek:
Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the August Road and Track issue today just for the PP2 article. The crux of the "not a track car" portion is below:

This is verbatim from the article:

R&T: Unlike the GT350, the PP2 doesn't have a differential- or transmission-oil coolers to allow for extended track time. One has to ask, why weren't they added?

"We obviously knew we could do that," Barnes (Mustang Vehicle Engineering manager Tom Barnes) says. "But I'd just say that we didn't want to go there. And there are a lot of different reasons why. This (the PP2) is sandwiched between the GT350 and the PP1. If you start to add those (coolers), you add complexity, engineering, weight, cost. In the end, we didn't want to go to that full track capability. We thought this was a good place."

R&T: If you want a full-on track car, get a Shelby GT350R or a Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE. If you want a car to live on the road, the PP2 is your choice.

Barnes says that while people will still think it's a 1LE competitor, and it'll perform well against a 1LE in a single lap, it's just not the right car for an extended lapping session. The aim of this passion project was to hone the ultimate street Mustang from a car they had already spent time developing.

:doh:
My understanding on the development of the PP2 was that it was an after hours love affair by the Ford Performance folks who tinkered with the setup of a PP1 and gave us the PP2. It was never meant to be a full on track car. Rather a car that is setup better for driving enthusiasts who like to carve up the canyon and mountain roads. IMO if you're looking for a track car, buy a 15-17 and set it up for the track. If you're looking for a car that needs little after market enhancement, buy the PP2.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
C6G must be slow today because it seems some of their users have free time to spend over here.

On one hand, we have a guy who supposedly wants to track a PP2 GT but is scared of voiding his warranty by spending "extra money" on a $200 cooler. $50k for the car, sure no problem. But that extra $200 is asking too much. Nevermind that the entire purpose of track racing is finding the weak links in both yourself and your car, and then fixing them. It's a solid plan too....Shelby did that for all the cars he made. Tracked them until they broke in order to find what needed upgrading, upgraded it, and we all know how it went down from there.

Then we have another guy who is basically saying the SS 1LE is the end-all, be-all for track cars. Let's for a second pretend that the only reason someone is buying that car is so they can bench race and, I dunno, troll a Mustang forum to talk about numbers on paper. It doesn't change the fact that: 1. It's a GM product, so it's built like crap. 2. It's overpriced. 3. It's a disaster in the looks department. 4. It's stupid difficult to see out of.....and there's a lot more to add, but we all know the list. I've said it before, I'll say it again. If you want to get a serious track car, buy an entry level Ariel Atom for $50k and call it a day. No Mustang or Camaro, or Corvette for that matter, will keep up with it and you will have an absolute BLAST on the track. Now, some will say it lacks in creature comforts. True, but then.....I thought we were talking strictly track cars here?

If you want to talk about a Mustang that is a great track car, look at the 350 and 350R. That's what they were built to do.

The same people who say "You gotta pay to play" are looking to spend minimal money on a SS 1LE or PP2 and turn laps like Michael Schumacher. It doesn't work that way. As someone mentioned, the PP2 is NOT a track car per Ford. You can argue about tires and whatever else you want, but your OPINION is worthless when the people who engineered and built the car from the ground up are telling you that's not what they built it for.

OP, stop being a butt hurt troll, save us all some time and the forum some bandwidth. Go buy the SS 1LE you so clearly worship and be happy. And don't sit here talking about, "Oh I'm not a troll and I love Mustangs". Bro.....no you don't. If you did, you would buy the GT you want, mod it how it needs to be to fit your needs, drive it and be happy. That's what Mustang owners do. But since you clearly are just trying to get justification to buy the Camaro, just GO DO IT and stop trolling.

Same to the other posters who believe the Camaro is so great. Then why don't you own one? Why didn't you buy it if it was the best choice available?

This has to be the most obvious troll thread, not started by "YOLO", on this site. :yawn::thumbsdown:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
C6G must be slow today because it seems some of their users have free time to spend over here.

On one hand, we have a guy who supposedly wants to track a PP2 GT but is scared of voiding his warranty by spending "extra money" on a $200 cooler. $50k for the car, sure no problem. But that extra $200 is asking too much. Nevermind that the entire purpose of track racing is finding the weak links in both yourself and your car, and then fixing them. It's a solid plan too....Shelby did that for all the cars he made. Tracked them until they broke in order to find what needed upgrading, upgraded it, and we all know how it went down from there.

Then we have another guy who is basically saying the SS 1LE is the end-all, be-all for track cars. Let's for a second pretend that the only reason someone is buying that car is so they can bench race and, I dunno, troll a Mustang forum to talk about numbers on paper. It doesn't change the fact that: 1. It's a GM product, so it's built like crap. 2. It's overpriced. 3. It's a disaster in the looks department. 4. It's stupid difficult to see out of.....and there's a lot more to add, but we all know the list. I've said it before, I'll say it again. If you want to get a serious track car, buy an entry level Ariel Atom for $50k and call it a day. No Mustang or Camaro, or Corvette for that matter, will keep up with it and you will have an absolute BLAST on the track. Now, some will say it lacks in creature comforts. True, but then.....I thought we were talking strictly track cars here?

If you want to talk about a Mustang that is a great track car, look at the 350 and 350R. That's what they were built to do.

The same people who say "You gotta pay to play" are looking to spend minimal money on a SS 1LE or PP2 and turn laps like Michael Schumacher. It doesn't work that way. As someone mentioned, the PP2 is NOT a track car per Ford. You can argue about tires and whatever else you want, but your OPINION is worthless when the people who engineered and built the car from the ground up are telling you that's not what they built it for.

OP, stop being a butt hurt troll, save us all some time and the forum some bandwidth. Go buy the SS 1LE you so clearly worship and be happy. And don't sit here talking about, "Oh I'm not a troll and I love Mustangs". Bro.....no you don't. If you did, you would buy the GT you want, mod it how it needs to be to fit your needs, drive it and be happy. That's what Mustang owners do. But since you clearly are just trying to get justification to buy the Camaro, just GO DO IT and stop trolling.

Same to the other posters who believe the Camaro is so great. Then why don't you own one? Why didn't you buy it if it was the best choice available?

This has to be the most obvious troll thread, not started by "YOLO", on this site. :yawn::thumbsdown:
Ill have to disagree I don't think the Camaro is a bad looking car the front is pretty damn good and the quality seems to be decent minus some issues similar to the Mustang. Don't let the trolls sour the car.

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
Ah yes, the annual, and banal 'let's take stock street cars to the track' edition of an automotive rag. Guaranteed to fan the troll flames for another year. I will only say that if you are going to do some real tracking do your homework and bring a vehicle ready to withstand the pounding of the track. Remember, you are basically beating the living crap out of your machine. Personally I have no interest in doing that to my awesome Mustang GT street machine. And if you do don't forget to replace your diff fluid and brake fluid regularly and keep an eye on your wheel bearings...

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase

Amen brother :rockon:

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
1 - Lamborghini Huracan
2 - GT2RS
3 - McLaren 720S
4 - Civic Type R
5 - Aston Martin Vantage
6 - BMW M5
7 - Miata
8 - Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio
9 - Kia StingerGT
10 - Audi TTRS
11 - Corvette ZR1
12 - Mustang GT PP2

Owie, behind the Stinger and an SUV? Cup2s were the biggest complaint. They didn't give credit to the time of the car due to having such huge tires, and took away points because of so obnoxious they are to live with on backgrounds with the tramlining.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
1 - Lamborghini Huracan
2 - GT2RS
3 - McLaren 720S
4 - Civic Type R
5 - Aston Martin Vantage
6 - BMW M5
7 - Miata
8 - Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio
9 - Kia StingerGT
10 - Audi TTRS
11 - Corvette ZR1
12 - Mustang GT PP2

Owie, behind the Stinger and an SUV? Cup2s were the biggest complaint. They didn't give credit to the time of the car due to having such huge tires, and took away points because of so obnoxious they are to live with on backgrounds with the tramlining.
Still can't believe a 34k car is so good on the track. I would love to add a Type R to my collection someday.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Let me ask you a question - how many people will cancel their order for a Ford GT over that article? I'll answer it for you, zero. Furthermore, 90% of the owners of said GT won't even track it. They are in for collecting and resale or to look cool and be young. I'm not saying you are right or wrong, just don't find any value in the article based on the consumer.

Edit: I was going to say I disagree with the stickier tier comment but I re-read what you wrote and get your point. It was in reference to the PP2 pack (although doesn't that also include the mag ride shocks?).
I think there will be some percentage that will cancel and buy something else if they plan on tracking. It is not going to be high percentage through.

There will also be some perventage that reads C&D and will preffer something else to a Mustang based just on bad publicity.

I do autoX occasionally, but never track. I remember going through all 16-17 rear diff overheat warning threads and having doubts on whether I should buy stang or not.

By the way, there are youtube videos out there where reputable people track gt350 vs something else and claim shelby overheats.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Stop being rational, I need something to keep me entertained at work :crackup:

I haven't watched / read the whole thing yet, but honestly can't believe they placed the Stang last.. that's just dumb.

Sponsored

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Sort of reminds me of the F4 Phantom. People often wonder how that big ugly plane was able to fly let alone fly so fast. It is a flying brick. How it flew? Power of the engine(s). Reminds me a lot of Gm with the various cars and even the Mopar cars. Only way to go fast is increase the cubic inch. Ironic that it is taking them this long to make similar power to the 2011 and later year model GT 500's. Just has ironic though that Ford is sort of resting on its rear in bringing out new versions. Probably marketing or whatever goes on with regards to that.

Then the GT enters with its smaller twin turbo and host of other stuff. GT350 enters with the high revving Voodoo...decides it isn't all about cubic inch. In any case what I remind the GM and Mopar crowd is that they should be thankful to the Ford lads because if it wasn't for the success of the retro style body the GM and Mopars wouldn't exist. Both cars took an extended leave of absence due to horrible sales. It wasn't until they noticed retro was in before they joined the bandwagon.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
Stop being rational, I need something to keep me entertained at work :crackup:

I haven't watched / read the whole thing yet, but honestly can't believe they placed the Stang last.. that's just dumb.
well i mean if they're ranking cars for their track performance....I would too. Hey, here's this fast car, too bad it overheats not even halfway through most HPDE sessions.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
I think those rankings were from Motor Trend. They didn't mention any overheating issues

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
4 - Civic Type R
No one older than 17 should want to be seen in this. I have been a japanese car lover since the 80s, and that is the ugliest/tackiest car to ever come from Japan.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
while you're sitting here bitching about adding a $900 diff cooler to a mustang
F all that...$40 fluid change and $30 exhaust wrap around the diff and it keeps at bay the limp mode.

Does the diff still run pretty hot? Probably. Is it a band-aid fix? Most definitely. Do I really care? Not a single bit.

My car is out there almost every other weekend during the summer, and usually pulling DOUBLE duty of 25 minute sessions with my buddy co-driving...and I have yet to see the overheating message in the dash.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.