Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
And how many people who look at the PP2 with all the track goodies are going to be turned off by the cost and just get a GT350?
You know the GT350 is still almost $20k more than a PP2, right?

Ford held off going to IRS due to the issues with track use.
Assuming you're talking about why they didn't put IRS in the S197, that's not AT ALL why they held off. There's one reason and one reason only why they held off; Cost. They said it saved them an average of about $5 per car sold, and to the bean-counters, that was worth it. They even had an IRS almost completely developed for the car when they canned the idea

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
There's one reason and one reason only why they held off; Cost. They said it saved them an average of about $5 per car sold, and to the bean-counters, that was worth it. They even had an IRS almost completely developed for the car when they canned the idea
No.
The amount quoted as being saved by using a solid axle in the S197 over that of an IRS was $100.
https://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/22/report-s197-ford-mustang-could-have-had-independent-rear-suspen/

The IRS suspension earmarked for the S197 was done and ready to go. I talked to Dean Martin (who at the time was a vehicle dynamics engineer for Ford) about this. He told me he was handed the keys and asked to evaluate a unit that represented a production car and said it didn't take long to realize that the car was indeed ready. He brought the car back in, returned the keys and told his superiors that the car was good to go- as is. Sadly, it was cut from production and a solid axle setup was put in its place. Dean mentioned buying a few complete S197 setups but ended up selling them to John Vermeersch at Total Performance, IIRC.

Some data on the S197 IRS here...
http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/sec-blog/2011/09/03/all-about-the-missing-mustang-irs/

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
No.
The amount quoted as being saved by using a solid axle in the S197 over that of an IRS was $100.
https://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/22/report-s197-ford-mustang-could-have-had-independent-rear-suspen/

The IRS suspension earmarked for the S197 was done and ready to go. I talked to Dean Martin (who at the time was a vehicle dynamics engineer for Ford) about this. He told me he was handed the keys and asked to evaluate a unit that represented a production car and said it didn't take long to realize that the car was indeed ready. He brought the car back in, returned the keys and told his superiors that the car was good to go- as is. Sadly, it was cut from production and a solid axle setup was put in its place. Dean mentioned buying a few complete S197 setups but ended up selling them to John Vermeersch at Total Performance, IIRC.

Some data on the S197 IRS here...
http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/sec-blog/2011/09/03/all-about-the-missing-mustang-irs/
Soooo, the same thing I said, but $100 instead of $5...

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Sooo, $100 is not $5.

In the overall scheme, a tiny percentage of the actual cost. But data is data.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sooo, $100 is not $5.

In the overall scheme, a tiny percentage of the actual cost. But data is data.
Yeah, I wasn't completely sure on the exact number, as I couldn't remember it. I just knew it was a seemingly insignificant amount for 1 car haha

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Oh geeesh..!
This thread is still going..? I thought it was /closed a few weeks back... can't believe that baron95 guy is still trolling, with his propaganda. But I suspect by now, everyone realizes he is getting paid, per post.

Poor kid is shouting at the wind...

/close thread

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Why close it? It's so much fun laughing at his expense!

OP
OP

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Eventually ford will add the cooler to the PP2, just as they had to add it to the GT350 and just as they had to go to IRS.

The reason is simply the unrelenting string of bad press, owner complaints, the occasional law suit.

They messed up. They know it. They will fix it. I need by 2020, when it will be time for me to replace one of my vehicles.

In the meantime, it is entertaining to read the PP2 owner thread in this forum. Seems like the vast majority replaced the Cup 2 tires because "tramlines too much", "destroyed the paint, by throwing rocks at the body panels", "not suitable for street driving". Translation: "I'm not happy that Ford put track tires on the non-track car". Funny as sheite!

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Eventually ford will add the cooler to the PP2, just as they had to add it to the GT350 and just as they had to go to IRS. The reason is simply the unrelenting string of bad press, owner complaints, the occasional law suit. They messed up. They know it. They will fix it. I need by 2020, when it will be time for me to replace one of my vehicles.

In the meantime, it is entertaining to read the PP2 owner thread in this forum. Seems like the vast majority replaced the Cup 2 tires because "tramlines too much", "destroyed the paint, by throwing rocks at the body panels", "not suitable for street driving". Translation: "I'm not happy that Ford put track tires on the non-track car". Funny as sheite!
Will someone please remove this child^ from our Community. He is here blatantly trolling... and for no good reason.

Baron95...

You are not funny, you are not legit, you are just a kid tryharding on a forum. I know for a fact you read the Road & Track article and then you go and keep beating the same drum, with the same remarks, over and over... for why..? To what end..?

People are LAUGHING at you. You have zero respect here, or anywhere given your inane ranting about something so obvious.

How many stories like this will have to be published, before Ford admits the mistake and, like they did on the GT350, put the proper cooling package on this vehicle?
Ford ALREADY admitted the Mustang GT needs a cooler to compete (ie: in competition) on the track. You already read it & yet you are still trolling. Which means you are not here for any legit reason, only to troll.

During a session on Monticello’s North Course, the Mustang was keen to communicate that it needed a break, flashing an axle-temp warning after a handful of laps. Unlike the GT350, the PP2 doesn’t have differential- or transmission-oil coolers to allow for extended track time. Why weren’t they added?

“We obviously knew we could do that,” Barnes says. “But I’d just say that we didn’t want to go there. And there area lot of different reasons why. This is sandwiched between the GT350 and the PP1. If you start to add those [coolers], you add complexity, engineering, weight, cost. In the end, we didn’t want to go that full track capability. We thought this was a good place.”

If you want a full-on track car, get a Shelby GT350R or a Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE. If you want a car to live on the road, the PP2 is your choice. Barnes says that while people will still think it’s a 1LE competitor, and it’ll perform well against a 1LE in a single lap, it’s just not the right car for an extended lapping session. The aim of this passion project was to hone the ultimate street Mustang from a car they had already spent time developing."

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Eventually ford will add the cooler to the PP2, just as they had to add it to the GT350 and just as they had to go to IRS.

The reason is simply the unrelenting string of bad press, owner complaints, the occasional law suit.

They messed up. They know it. They will fix it. I need by 2020, when it will be time for me to replace one of my vehicles.

Ford had a cooler on the gt350 from day 1....

It was an option. But it was always there.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase

Guess you aren't going to back up what you say?

I can't believe you guys are still feeding this obvious Troll :headbang:

azelmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP2 RC, 18 BMW 430i, 2022 C8 Z51 (on order)
I spent the day racing at Arizona Motorsports Park (AMP), it’s a 2.26 mile, 16 turn track.

Three 20 minute sessions, I didn’t stay out the whole 20 minutes, but pretty darn close. Long enough to use a whole tank of gas. Car performed great, flat in the corners and lots of grip. Was racing with the Porsche Club, and I passed a lot of Porsche’s that cost a lot more than mine, suckers... hahaha.

I had zero heating issues, didn’t even get close to it and I drive it hard.

Next weekend is Wildhorse Pass East Track, 1.25 miles with 10 turns. I’ll report back again.

Baron, I haven’t heard any PP2 owners complaining, in fact we all seem to love our cars. You’re the only one complaining and you don’t even own one.

Status
Not open for further replies.