Confirmed: Mustang GT PP2 Overheats in 3 laps on track

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhammy49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Ford has stated that the PP2 Mustang is not a track car.
Exactly. I think the Z06 from 2016 or 2017 kept going into limp mode at the track. None of these cars are track ready. Think about the stupid granny spring they put on all the manual clutches. The nice thing is that most of these issues are fixable. Install an dif and oil cooler if you are going to track the car that much. And those wont be the only changes made. These are street cars that are coming with more and more track parts but they are not track cars.

Even with these troubles, the PP2 was 7th on that list and by far the fast LL2 car. Only 8 ish seconds slower than the ford GT with limited time in it. Not too bad if you ask me.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I tracked my CTS-V many times over the 7 plus years of ownership and almost every warm day outing I got the rear end temp light, right alone with most of the Corvette guys. The Camaro guys didnt have the same issues . The ZL1 and SS has more frontal area and thus better cooling effectiveness. Now back to the GT I have had my GT PP1 on the track twice so farand yep the rear diff light stated showing its ugly head at about the 15 min. mark. So if I a am gonna make this a habit, I got to do the same thing to the GT PP1 as I did the V, put a cooler on it. Its all part of if your gonna play, you should be ready to pay. And yes if Ford offered the rear diff cooler as a opt. I would have gotten it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
I don't disagree about the diff cooler but...beat the 1LE by a second.
Beat it on lap 1, beat is on lap 2, beat it 1/2 way through lap 3, then.....limp, limp, limp, as the 1LE kept on running at full pace for the rest of the session.

(there - fixed for you)

OP
OP

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Ford has stated that the PP2 Mustang is not a track car.
Right. It comes with Cup 2 tires, but is not a track car. LOL.

Please tell me, under what circumstance does a Cup 2 tire perform better than the MPS4 in the PP1, except on a race track?

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Beat it on lap 1, beat is on lap 2, beat it 1/2 way through lap 3, then.....limp, limp, limp, as the 1LE kept on running at full pace for the rest of the session.

(there - fixed for you)
So basically a couple coolers and it kills the 1LE all day. No big deal. I doubt you would even need a trans cooler with the right fluid and exhaust wrap. Just a rear diff cooler.

OP
OP

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Re a 7-year old CTS-V overheating. Yes, and 15 years ago the brakes on a street car would disintegrate, tires would be greasy. Technology moves on. And today there are many, many, many cars with performance/track packages that can do 30 min track day session without overheating any component.

They include the Mustang GT's primary competition, the Camaro AND the Challenger.

Did you notice that in the same lightning lap that the Mustang overheated, the Challenger Hellcat ran with no heat issues whatsoever? Did you notice that the Camaro Turbo 1LE also ran with no heat issues whatsoever? Only the Mustang of all cars had issues.

On the first year C7-Z06 models overheating, yes that happened, that was bad, that was promptly addressed. And now they run fine.

Lets repeat. Only one car in the C&D Lightning Lap overheated consistently after 3 laps. The Mustang GT PP2. Only one. All the other street cars did just fine. Same day. Same conditions. Same driver.

OP
OP

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
So basically a couple coolers and it kills the 1LE all day.
For one, the two times were not on the same day, same conditions.

But, if you are going to engineer and install a diff cooler, assuming you can package one in there, and make it reliable, you are:
a) Risking your warranty.
b) Modifying the car.
c) Spending extra money with no guarantee that it will fix it.
d) Simply find out the next thing that overheats in the Ford (likely the transmission that also lacks a cooler)

And if we go down the mod path, simply putting Cup 2 tires on the 1LE will make up 3-5 times as many seconds as that 1 second difference.

Nice try though.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the August Road and Track issue today just for the PP2 article. The crux of the "not a track car" portion is below:

This is verbatim from the article:

R&T: Unlike the GT350, the PP2 doesn't have a differential- or transmission-oil coolers to allow for extended track time. One has to ask, why weren't they added?

"We obviously knew we could do that," Barnes (Mustang Vehicle Engineering manager Tom Barnes) says. "But I'd just say that we didn't want to go there. And there are a lot of different reasons why. This (the PP2) is sandwiched between the GT350 and the PP1. If you start to add those (coolers), you add complexity, engineering, weight, cost. In the end, we didn't want to go to that full track capability. We thought this was a good place."

R&T: If you want a full-on track car, get a Shelby GT350R or a Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE. If you want a car to live on the road, the PP2 is your choice.

Barnes says that while people will still think it's a 1LE competitor, and it'll perform well against a 1LE in a single lap, it's just not the right car for an extended lapping session. The aim of this passion project was to hone the ultimate street Mustang from a car they had already spent time developing.

:doh:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
OP if you hate the Mustang so much go buy a camaro and go over to c6g and have fun in the circle
I don't hate the Mustang. Quite the contrary. I have been trying to buy another Mustang GT ever since I sold mine 2012 Mustang GT 3 and 1/2 years ago.

But I track the car 15+ times/year, and I'm not in the mood to go on engineering one-off solutions for overheating. The Mustang GT PP2 would be the perfect car for me if it had the proper cooling package + Brembo Brakes in the rear (easier to change pads) - 100 lbs (in that order of priority).

So if anything I'm pist off that the Mustang GT PP2 gets so, so close to being the perfect car, only to find out that Ford cheapens out on $200 and make the car fail one of my main missions.

Infuriating really. It is like a super hot girl that with bad breath because she won't spend $10 on a toothbrush.

P.S. Still hard to understand why people are so insecure about their purchase decision and feel so threatened to have a data-based discussion on a topic involving a car they bought. Weird stuff. If anything I want to incent Ford to see the light and put the proper cooling package on the PP2 like they finally did on the GT350. If you like Mustangs you should encourage that. Not try to shut people out.

OP
OP

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
If you want a car to live on the road, the PP2 is your choice.
LOL

A car with Cup 2 tires to "live on the road"!!!!!

There is nothing about a Cup 2 tire that is good on the road. They don't work well unless they get to temp. It is impossible to get them to temp on the street without going to jail. They are horrible in the rain. They are unusable on cold temps.

This is a completely false narrative. You only put Cup 2 tires on a car if the primary mission is to track.

The Mustang GT PP2 overheats because it was not engineered right. None of the other cars that C&D lapped at VIR overheated. Only the Mustang GT overheated.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
For one, the two times were not on the same day, same conditions.

But, if you are going to engineer and install a diff cooler, assuming you can package one in there, and make it reliable, you are:
a) Risking your warranty. (LMAO what?)
b) Modifying the car. (LMAO so?)
c) Spending extra money with no guarantee that it will fix it. (LMAO what?)
d) Simply find out the next thing that overheats in the Ford (likely the transmission that also lacks a cooler) (LMAO what?)

And if we go down the mod path, simply putting Cup 2 tires on the 1LE will make up 3-5 times as many seconds as that 1 second difference.

Nice try though.
LMAO, this is just absolutely hilarious to hear coming from the guy who constantly nut-swung the 1LE being "just as fast as a GT350R" from a different day comparison.

Okay, so I guess the 1LE is as fast as a GT350R, and a PP2 is even faster yet :shrug:

also, LMAO at the whole "but but but $1900 cup2s on a 1LE!!!!!!" while you're sitting here bitching about adding a $900 diff cooler to a mustang

I don't hate the Mustang. Quite the contrary. I have been trying to buy another Mustang GT ever since I sold mine 2012 Mustang GT 3 and 1/2 years ago.

But I track the car 15+ times/year, and I'm not in the mood to go on engineering one-off solutions for overheating. The Mustang GT PP2 would be the perfect car for me if it had the proper cooling package + Brembo Brakes in the rear (easier to change pads) - 100 lbs (in that order of priority).
So then buy one, get a diff cooler, and quit bitching. But considering you've been here well over a year screaming and crying about the same thing, I'd wager a good amount of money that this is some total BS

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
The more the Mustang is driven hard, the hotter the exhaust temp would become. Will a diff cooler cool the diff enough to counter the effect of the continual high temp from the exhaust ? Maybe the diff temp would be okay with the exhaust exiting from the side of the Mustang instead of the rear. Maybe Ford has the Mustang computer set to detect an elevated diff temperature at a lower temp than the other cars in the test. I would love the challenge of finding the limit of the diff temperature on the PP2, but am afraid I would not push it hard enough due to my lack of experience on a road coarse.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.