Sponsored

Completely new to Ford

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
Thanks for sharing. Comparing the M5 to the GT350 really doesnt work, nor is it really fair. The M5 is a fat pig, but the performance is truly unreal (in a straight line or on curves) and the weight really doesnt make a difference. The M5 truly smokes the GT350 due to the AWD, especially in a straight line, but the GT350 smokes the M5 in "fun level" with that six-speed and on a track it is quite fun... If I want to go out and truly enjoy being "one with the car", its the GT350 hands down. If I want to enjoy some luxury while being able to fend off anything from a lambo to a GTR, that'd be the M-Class. Side Note: The FORD entertainment system is 10x better than the BMW which is mind-boggling considering the price of the M.

Regardless, they are BOTH great cars and Ford has done a great job on this vehicle. Sad to see it go out of production, but I couldnt be happier with my purchase!
I picked up a new M5 a year ago and have to agree. Two different cars on almost every level. 350 was a windows down symphony of flat plane crank. Outstanding grip, great track car. M5 is a luxo sledge hammer with few rivals. Dizzying accelration with a first class interior. Hard to believe it is a sedan. Drive modes range from sedated to all out. M performance exhaust is good but 350 is the best sounding car on the planet imo.
Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
You can get them for well under MSRP. And when you try to sell, good luck!

To me the GT350 is worth the premium just for the amazing engine. But then you also get out of this world brakes. The brakes not only hold up on track, they have nearly perfect progressive feel and they engage immediately when you step on the pedal.

I also think the exterior styling is great. I think it's the best looking Mustang of the recent models - by far.

If you ever take your Camaro on the track you will find out how boring and annoying it is to have an engine that doesn't wind out well.

I don't like the way the GM cam in block engines make power - given the restrictions of modern emissions and fuel economy laws. I also hate direct injection and skip shift. The steering is numb on Camaros. And just sitting in a Camaro - the cabin is a deal breaker for me. I'm glad GM still makes a Camaro, but I wish they could make it more competitive with the Mustang. And sales show it - the Camaro isn't even close.
the 1le camaros actually have really great resale value relative to their msrp price from what ive seen. So great that a lot of owners opt to get a new one instead, but that causes a different issue i suppose. And to greens comment, you get what you pay for? do you get what you pay for with the shelby? With the terrible fitment people have posted all over these forums with every model of the mustang, including up to the gt500, many quality control issues, and many posts of blown voodoo engines, did you pay for that? I DO think the blown engines are blown (no pun intended) out of proportion, but there is still something to be said for the amount of failures on this forum at the price people pay for the car. The gt350 also doesnt come with a track warranty...the 1le does. think about that for a minute.

some of these things are your opinion, which i disagree with, and thats fine.

the gt350 isnt the only car with brakes. The camaro 1le packages also have 6 piston brembo front and 4 piston rear, with i believe a better stopping time than the gt350, or around the same, i cant remember. The gt350 might have even won that but its close enough to be negligible.

Ive never said the gt350 isnt a great track car, ive only said the 1le camaro compares or even beats it for cheaper or the ~ same price if you opt for a zl1 or zl1 1le. SS 1le is much cheaper. Numbers show that.

the camaro revs out to ~6800 stock, more when tuned. Have you driven the new 1le camaros? ss and/or zl1? Skip shift isnt mandatory, you can either shift above 3-4k (shouldnt be an issue since you bring up "revving it out") and it doesnt want you to skip shift, or you can put a $5 dongle on it to deactivate it completely, hardly an issue. I never shift it at 2k rpms so i havent had to skip shift it once.

general camaro sales aren't close, but im pretty sure the zl1 and zl1 1le outsold the gt350. That could have been false info, but thats what i saw. performance wise it is MORE than competitive with the mustang, it beats it in track times and in NA builds at the drag strip as well as the higher end engine builds like some of the examples i posted. Not sure how much more competitive you want it to get. Other than the performance the rest is based on opinion. I happen to prefer the camaro interior, and performance (especially with the tremec 6060). I like both the mustang and the camaros appearance. And i like both engines though maybe the coyote a little more than the lt1, but i do enjoy the lt1 and its immediate torque. There is something positive to be said both for being able to rev out an engine to the moon, and also for not having to do so. Again it all comes down to preference, and i love both. You say you dont like the way they make power, but i think 300hp by 1k rpm is pretty great. ESPECIALLY for a DD. People dont seem to think they are "Boring" at the track either. Being compliant and well mannered doesnt = boring. There are many factors that go into sales in general of mustang vs camaro so i dont feel the need for that discussion again. lol

Last edited:

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Well, If the OP hasn't left this page yet, I would be amazed. His question centered around the GT350 as it compares to his current ride. Im a bit over 6'5" and my mustang has more legroom then my Edge sport. No one can sit behind me in a lot of vehicles. Ignoring the fact that I have an R, my wife is 5'3' and if there was a back seat a kid could sit back there for a short amount of time. I have the Recaro seats and I am not interested in long rides in my car. I fit ok but my 16 with the regular heated cooled seat made for a much more comfortable ride. On track, the Recaros do a much better job.

Because the OP was drawn by History: For many of us, the History is what draws us to the car. Anyone who wants to see a pretty good history should watch Carroll Shelby, King of the road. Although not 100% accurate its pretty damned good. Many will argue that has nothing to do with todays cars. They would be wrong. Carroll was the decision maker as to who would produce the GT350. The people who work at Ford also worked with Carroll and they feel the responsibility to produce a car Carroll would be proud to have his name on. The connection between Ford and Shelby has never been stronger. You will not find that historical connection with other brands. (yes they all have history but none as vivid) If history is not important then there is less allurer but either way, you drive it, you will most likely buy it.

Lastly, addressing the supposed Elitism. I have not met a Shelby owner who felt elite because they drive a Shelby. Im sure there are a few, very few.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Lastly, addressing the supposed Elitism. I have not met a Shelby owner who felt elite because they drive a Shelby. Im sure there are a few, very few.
its not all of you. Ive stated many times i like most shelby owners ive encountered. But there have been a few on here. Some going as far to say that no GT owner in their right mind would keep their GT in a garage like shelby owners do because its not a "masterpiece", etc. Thats them hating even on other mustang owners, much less other brands. Ill leave it at that.

OP
OP
joe603

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I'm still here...lurking! lol

I'm 90% sure I'm getting a 2019+ Mustang. Just not sure if it will be a Shelby or a Roush stage 3. I know there's a world of difference between those 2, still looking at videos and forums. What I do know is that I want a 6MT and the Camaro/Challenger is out. There just isn't many other options.

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt

I'm 90% sure I'm getting a 2019+ Mustang. Just not sure if it will be a Shelby or a Roush stage 3. I know there's a world of difference between those 2, still looking at videos and forums. What I do know is that I want a 6MT and the Camaro/Challenger is out. There just isn't many other options.
either would be a great choice if the backseat is a non-issue for you.

i could be wrong, but i believe the roush still has the mt82 transmission.

if thats the case, i would probably recommend the shelby gt350 or the mach 1 that is coming out as they both have the tremec 3160. If the roush has the tremec, then that just might be my choice in your shoes.

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not elitist! My 350 is sitting in the driveway covered in snow, next to my wife's gt that I've been driving everyday for the past two weeks. My 00 z/28 is in the garage, and my 68 ss is inside at my shop! Lol

5.2 Symphony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norbert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350,
I haven’t driven a Roush and can’t comment on it, but in my case the one-off N/A Voodoo engine based on the engine from a 458 Italia is still the most special thing about the car. I am 5’11” and needed to be able to get the kids into the back seat. Since my kid’s feet didn’t reach the floor while seated the Recaro seats didn’t work for us. To get the vertical adjustment we needed to get the kid’s feet under the seats the car with the heated and cooled seats was the one that solved our issue. My driving position isn’t ideal with the kids in the back, but the whole family gets to enjoy Shelby which is more important. My son loves it and believes whole heartedly that this will be his first car when he starts driving :)

OP
OP
joe603

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I haven’t driven a Roush and can’t comment on it, but in my case the one-off N/A Voodoo engine based on the engine from a 458 Italia is still the most special thing about the car. I am 5’11” and needed to be able to get the kids into the back seat. Since my kid’s feet didn’t reach the floor while seated the Recaro seats didn’t work for us. To get the vertical adjustment we needed to get the kid’s feet under the seats the car with the heated and cooled seats was the one that solved our issue. My driving position isn’t ideal with the kids in the back, but the whole family gets to enjoy Shelby which is more important. My son loves it and believes whole heartedly that this will be his first car when he starts driving :)
Nice!! I have a 12 year old that I will teach how to drive a stick in 3 years...lol Thanks for the info on the seats. I was wondering about the differences between the Recaro and upgraded seats and definitely prefer the heated/cooled ones.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

No disrespect to any Roush owners as they are great cars. But a Shelby, they are not. Roush takes an everyday GT, adds some bit and pieces, some graphics and a SC and calls it a day. Absolutely nothing wrong with them. Shelby American does pretty much the same thing as do a number of other Mustang modders.

That said the GT350 is a factory car with as unique a motor as seen in any American car. That’s what makes it special. As a first time Ford buyer this should count for something.

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
its not all of you. Ive stated many times i like most shelby owners ive encountered. But there have been a few on here. Some going as far to say that no GT owner in their right mind would keep their GT in a garage like shelby owners do because its not a "masterpiece", etc. Thats them hating even on other mustang owners, much less other brands. Ill leave it at that.
Oh, by the way, the GT350 is warrantied for track (non racing) use. And the R is comparable to the ZL1 not the SS. Sorry, back on subject

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, originally when I started looking, I wanted the Recaros. Then I sat in one with them, great seats....but this is for my daily driver with the occasional track day. I don't think those seats would have been comfortable for that, plus getting in and out all the time it would wear down/crush the bolster. I got my hot/cold seats which is much better for me, plus the seats are still great and with the Alcantara inserts and bolstering, they are much better than my 13 1LE seats were.

Ironhead_3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition
I think a lot of my decision is actually not my decision...my wife REALLY hates the Camaro's styling and loves the Shelby, so maybe she's more "comfortable" sitting in the GT350.
You don't need any other opinions here then, my friend. If the wife wants the Shelby, you're getting a Shelby! That was the final hurdle I cleared before I bought mine.

Ironhead_3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition
Yeah, originally when I started looking, I wanted the Recaros. Then I sat in one with them, great seats....but this is for my daily driver with the occasional track day. I don't think those seats would have been comfortable for that, plus getting in and out all the time it would wear down/crush the bolster. I got my hot/cold seats which is much better for me, plus the seats are still great and with the Alcantara inserts and bolstering, they are much better than my 13 1LE seats were.
Agreed. I love my leather seats. The Alcantara is great and matches the steering wheel and I think the bolstering is fine for what I'm going to do with the car. She'll probably never see a track so I don't see the need for the Recaros for me personally. Besides, it'll be nice to keep my ass cool in the summer considering that's the only time she'll be on the road.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
the 1le camaros actually have really great resale value relative to their msrp price from what ive seen. So great that a lot of owners opt to get a new one instead, but that causes a different issue i suppose. And to greens comment, you get what you pay for? do you get what you pay for with the shelby? With the terrible fitment people have posted all over these forums with every model of the mustang, including up to the gt500, many quality control issues, and many posts of blown voodoo engines, did you pay for that? I DO think the blown engines are blown (no pun intended) out of proportion, but there is still something to be said for the amount of failures on this forum at the price people pay for the car. The gt350 also doesnt come with a track warranty...the 1le does. think about that for a minute.
I agree that Voodoo engine failures are concerning. I had 33,000 trouble free miles with mine, but I still decided that I wanted to sell. Partially just to try something else (the Corvette Z06 I traded it for), but also partially because I knew it could be a potentially expensive repair. That's really the only reason why I don't currently own a GT350. The GT350 does have a track warranty, by the way.

some of these things are your opinion, which i disagree with, and thats fine.

the gt350 isnt the only car with brakes. The camaro 1le packages also have 6 piston brembo front and 4 piston rear, with i believe a better stopping time than the gt350, or around the same, i cant remember. The gt350 might have even won that but its close enough to be negligible.
Stopping distance (or time as you incorrectly stated the typical statistic used) is related more to tires than to brakes. Any modern car can lock up the wheels with the brakes and engage ABS. I take this statement as a lack of understanding for what is unique about great brakes versus good ones.

The Camaro SS 1LE has lower treadlife, stickier tires than the original Pilot SS tires that came on the earlier GT350s. I think that Ford made a better choice with tires. They were great on track and still lasted ~16,000 miles for me (rears). The fronts lasted about 20,000 miles.

But those extra sticky tires on the SS 1LE - impractical as they may be for daily driving - do give the car a better lap time than it would have if equipped with a more appropriate, longer life tire for daily driving.

Ive never said the gt350 isnt a great track car, ive only said the 1le camaro compares or even beats it for cheaper or the ~ same price if you opt for a zl1 or zl1 1le. SS 1le is much cheaper. Numbers show that.
Yes SS 1LE is cheap. I agree.

the camaro revs out to ~6800 stock, more when tuned. Have you driven the new 1le camaros? ss and/or zl1? Skip shift isnt mandatory, you can either shift above 3-4k (shouldnt be an issue since you bring up "revving it out") and it doesnt want you to skip shift, or you can put a $5 dongle on it to deactivate it completely, hardly an issue. I never shift it at 2k rpms so i havent had to skip shift it once.
I've driven an SS, which has the same stuff as a 1LE. Same direct injection only engine (GM cheaped out), same transmission, same annoying skip shift. I had the skip shift on my Z06 as well. I did the defeat it thing on the Z. Still irritates me and I don't want it.

general camaro sales aren't close, but im pretty sure the zl1 and zl1 1le outsold the gt350. That could have been false info, but thats what i saw. performance wise it is MORE than competitive with the mustang, it beats it in track times and in NA builds at the drag strip as well as the higher end engine builds like some of the examples i posted. Not sure how much more competitive you want it to get. Other than the performance the rest is based on opinion. I happen to prefer the camaro interior, and performance (especially with the tremec 6060). I like both the mustang and the camaros appearance. And i like both engines though maybe the coyote a little more than the lt1, but i do enjoy the lt1 and its immediate torque. There is something positive to be said both for being able to rev out an engine to the moon, and also for not having to do so. Again it all comes down to preference, and i love both. You say you dont like the way they make power, but i think 300hp by 1k rpm is pretty great. ESPECIALLY for a DD. People dont seem to think they are "Boring" at the track either. Being compliant and well mannered doesnt = boring. There are many factors that go into sales in general of mustang vs camaro so i dont feel the need for that discussion again. lol
For some people they aren't boring engines I'm sure. Some people drive NA Miatas on track and enjoy the heck out of them. Not me.

Yes at times I get a little tired of the same discussion over and over again as well - especially in a "completely new to ford" thread in the GT350 forum. I would expect your posts in a Camaro forum or if someone were asking about the SS 1LE, but not here and in this thread. There have been a few people that do this over the years. When I owned my last GM vehicle I still hung out here (the Corvette forums I found are terrible). Maybe I did the same thing. I hope not.
Sponsored

Last edited: