Coming from 3 Dodges to a 5.0

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I’m a Mopar guy at heart too (see avatar pic) but I’m also on my third bought-new Mustang GT.

Each of these cars has their own personality and strengths/weaknesses. The particular balance of speed, looks, practicality, price of the Mustang keeps bringing me back.

My pops has a Scatpack A8 Challenger and it’s not even close. My 2020 Mustang 6spd/3.55 can’t keep up anywhere. We’ll see how they compare after the 4.09 install...

I love that Challenger and I jump at any chance to drive it. It’s a big, friendly monster that goes like hell.
That’s because you have a six speed. The A10 Mustang GT will beat the Scat pack Challenger.
Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
In the end the fastest car is not always the most fun car to drive or live with. We are lucky to have the SS, GT, and Scat as even options. All three have their pro’s and con’s. Pick what you like, enjoy it, and stop worrying about what other people think...

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
That’s because you have a six speed. The A10 Mustang GT will beat the Scat pack Challenger.
Yeah, it’s darned close but a comparably driven Scat A8 vs GT A10, the Mustang probably edges it out at the top end of the quarter mile. On the street/ stoplight to stoplight, the odds favor the Dodge. The low end grunt of the 392 is not to be underestimated. The Challenger also feels a hell of a lot quicker.

Don’t get me wrong, I have bought two new Coyote powered Mustangs instead of Challengers but I totally get why people love them.

If the next gen Challenger is a little smaller and lighter I’m going to have a tough choice on my hands.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I had a buddy that bought a new scat challenger back in 15. His biggest problem was hooking it out of the gate. Still ran 12.5’s on skinny street tires. My bolt on 14 GT was only 2 tenths and 2 mph quicker at the time. I like that you actually have the option to carry 4 full sized adults.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Can anyone comment on the handling of Challengers and/or Chargers? They are both fat pigs. Just wasn't sure if you could swing the heifers in the corners.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone comment on the handling of Challengers and/or Chargers? They are both fat pigs. Just wasn't sure if you could swing the heifers in the corners.
They hustle plenty. Just takes a gentle and patient hand. You can't 'whip' them into a curve with quite the same aplumb as a Mustang or Camaro. But I also wouldn't buy them without the 3-way adjustable Bilstein suspension and wide package. The initial point of adjustment is figuring out where the corners are. On barely wide enough 2-lane that's the mitigating factor. Some uprated springs may help too - I don't know what the stock rates are but they feel 'luxury' soft and as such there's quite a bit of 'rolling seas' sensation.

Also it has a lot of Ford-esque soft rubber where it doesn't belong in the drive-line and was surprisingly lousy about keeping the tire in contact in bumpy (bad pavement) cornering. A trip to BMR would probably help on that front.

Reactions: Ebm

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah, it’s darned close but a comparably driven Scat A8 vs GT A10, the Mustang probably edges it out at the top end of the quarter mile. On the street/ stoplight to stoplight, the odds favor the Dodge. The low end grunt of the 392 is not to be underestimated. The Challenger also feels a hell of a lot quicker.

Don’t get me wrong, I have bought two new Coyote powered Mustangs instead of Challengers but I totally get why people love them.

If the next gen Challenger is a little smaller and lighter I’m going to have a tough choice on my hands.

Possibly, but based off reported track times by the manufacturers the A10 Mustang GT PP1 ran a 0-60 in 3.8 and a 1/4 in 12.1. The Scat pack Challenger did a 0-60 in 4.2 and a 1/4 in 12.5. While that doesn’t always translate the same to the actual street it is a decent baseline.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Possibly, but based off reported track times by the manufacturers the A10 Mustang GT PP1 ran a 0-60 in 3.8 and a 1/4 in 12.1. The Scat pack Challenger did a 0-60 in 4.2 and a 1/4 in 12.5. While that doesn’t always translate the same to the actual street it is a decent baseline.
They are actually worse from a stop light with all that torque, weight and those tires. An A10 will take it the majority of the time. From a roll it isn't much better. I went against a hellcat with obvious mods in a roll race and although his torque gave him an advantage at first the weight and drag allowed me to start to pull away once that a10 started ripping off gears. Real muscle car though. I would have gone with a hellcat if there weren't so many chargers and challengers on the road. It fits my style much more.

OP
OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Handles better than a huge sedan has right to. Very direct and planted. Yes it is big, but I never feel like I'm fighting the car.

I'm running 295 square PS4S. Also, new Scatpacks are equal to the now defunct SRT 392 once you add the dynamics pack. I don't feel any roll in corners. What trim have you driven? I think there's too damn many of them to make any sense.
they’ve trimmed them down. The dynamics pack exist but is tire and brake upgrade. I’d just to the WideBody which basically throws HC parts on a 392 engine.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't feel any roll in corners. What trim have you driven? I think there's too damn many of them to make any sense.
'19 wide-body SCAT R/T in 6MT twice and non-wide/non-dynamics in auto. Roll is less than you might expect, sure, but I would have just come out the SS/1LE or GT with all the chassis and suspension upgrades. So compared to those baselines it was very noticeable. The Dodge feels incredibly 'remote' like I'm turning a tiller hanging 6ft out front, not a pair of closely inboard wheels. The optical depth of the dash doesn't do it any favors from a 'proportions' standpoint which probably lends to the sensation.

The big girl will definitely hustle even thru curves, but not with the same causal/confident aplomb. The lack of proper support in the seats which leads to sliding around is also unwelcome. Ford/GM do a much better job on that front.

Chente04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Handles better than a huge sedan has right to. Very direct and planted. Yes it is big, but I never feel like I'm fighting the car.

I'm running 295 square PS4S. Also, new Scatpacks are equal to the now defunct SRT 392 once you add the dynamics pack. I don't feel any roll in corners. What trim have you driven? I think there's too damn many of them to make any sense.
I guess I had the opposite experience in my old T/A 392. I would have to lightly throttle the gas taking a corner fast or it would fishtale from all the torque, Straight line no issue except wheel hop which i felt was much worse in the challenger than the mustang. Dont know if its changed but the only fixes for it were to drop the whole rear cradle and swap out the bushing, or add some bulky "Hop Not" kit

I dont believe the dynamics pack includes the magnetic adjustable suspenion from the srt

the 6 piston brembos though were worth every penny, that car would stop on the dime! just super expensive to replace pads and rotors every year!

TXBlueStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I traded my ‘17 Charger Scatpack for my ‘19 GT Premium PP1. I loved my Charger, but she handled like an absolute boat in any kind of corner situation. I ran some Continental Extreme rubber and it helped a little with hook and go issues I had. Wheel hope was an issue.

But she sang so beautifully after a mid muffler swap with some dynomax race bullets.

I decided I wanted a car that could corner so I traded up. If they made a 2 door Charger in the future thats smaller, lighter, more sporty and less boaty I might consider going back but until then, I’m very happy with my GT.