Sponsored

Coilovers without lowering?

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Dumb question probably, but are there after market coilovers that offer stiffness adjustments without lowering the vehicle? I really want the Roush ones specifically but I do not want to lower the car. I just want it to reduce body roll and soften it up for normal commuting.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah so yes and no. You don’t need “coilovers” exactly to do this.

Aftermarket adjustable shocks (Koni yellows or Steeda Adjustable Pro Actiom - not koni or steeda actives btw). These give you a wide rebound adjustmwnt range from soft/sporty to very stiff.

If you have a base car you could swap springs to GT PP springs or even GT350 springs (same stock ride height on the non R model). There’s a trick to using the GT350 springs which onvolves buying two left or right rear springs (I can’t remember), but it will work.

Combine with some aftermarket swaybars and you’d have a car that handles with the best of them, with ride quality as good or better than stock and stock height and look.

My car was set up that way for about a half year (w/ my stock GT PP springs) and its kind of brilliant.

Its actually a common autocrosser rules-limited setup (minus the second swaybar and possible 350 spring option).

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah so yes and no. You don’t need “coilovers” exactly to do this.

Aftermarket adjustable shocks (Koni yellows or Steeda Adjustable Pro Actiom - not koni or steeda actives btw). These give you a wide rebound adjustmwnt range from soft/sporty to very stiff.

If you have a base car you could swap springs to GT PP springs or even GT350 springs (same stock ride height on the non R model). There’s a trick to using the GT350 springs which onvolves buying two left or right rear springs (I can’t remember), but it will work.

Combine with some aftermarket swaybars and you’d have a car that handles with the best of them, with ride quality as good or better than stock and stock height and look.

My car was set up that way for about a half year (w/ my stock GT PP springs) and its kind of brilliant.

Its actually a common autocrosser rules-limited setup (minus the second swaybar and possible 350 spring option).
My wife is expecting and I can't really lower the car much because of that. Adjustable rebound obviously helps. I guess I'll just have to wait until we're done growing the family.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Go with above with pp1 springs and adjustable bars. I try that 1st and see if you really need to change shocks. I bet you will be surprised. You are not going to adjust shocks anyway because it is a pain to reach them except the fronts on top of the shock towers. You just about have to take the rear wheel off to adjust. There is a 90% chance you will adjust bars to where you like on street and never change them again.

I bought a PP1 car new to turn into my racecar. I drove the PP1 setup stock for about 300miles before I took the springs shocks etc off for my race parts. The PP1 setup is really good for sporty street use that is wife approved.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Go with above with pp1 springs and adjustable bars. I try that 1st and see if you really need to change shocks. I bet you will be surprised. You are not going to adjust shocks anyway because it is a pain to reach them except the fronts on top of the shock towers. You just about have to take the rear wheel off to adjust. There is a 90% chance you will adjust bars to where you like on street and never change them again..
I can adjust the rear shocks in like two minutes. Jack up each side like an inch, reach in, and adjust.

and to add, the konis need to be adjusted pretty stiff to control the car with soft PP1 springs.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can adjust the rear shocks in like two minutes. Jack up each side like an inch, reach in, and adjust.

and to add, the konis need to be adjusted pretty stiff to control the car with soft PP1 springs.
Are you stock height or lowered?

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
Last edited:

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I just want it to reduce body roll and soften it up for normal commuting.
Usually reducing body roll means stiffer. Reducing body roll and "soften it up" is going to be hard to get. Though often better shock control often gets interpreted as softer, even when it is actually stiffer, because the ride motions are better controlled.

Anti-roll bars by themselves reduce roll, mostly don't impact the ride, and don't change the ride height. They are also easier to install than shocks and springs.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Usually reducing body roll means stiffer. Reducing body roll and "soften it up" is going to be hard to get. Though often better shock control often gets interpreted as softer, even when it is actually stiffer, because the ride motions are better controlled.

Anti-roll bars by themselves reduce roll, mostly don't impact the ride, and don't change the ride height. They are also easier to install than shocks and springs.
To elaborate, I want it stiff for road course but then adjust it to be soft when I take road trips woth my wife.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
OK, that kinda answers the why coilovers question. As they are usually more adjustable.

But have you had them before? It's not like switching a dial to sport mode from the comfort of your seat. It's a pain to adjust them. I normally just find a favorite setting and leave them.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, that kinda answers the why coilovers question. As they are usually more adjustable.

But have you had them before? It's not like switching a dial to sport mode from the comfort of your seat. It's a pain to adjust them. I normally just find a favorite setting and leave them.
I am aware of how to stiffen and soften the settings. But that is the deal I made with my wife. It has to be stock and I convienced her to let me do suspension mods but only if I can keep the ride height stock.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Wide wheels, track tires, camber plates, aftermarket swaybars, Koni shocks w/ gt350 springs and be done with it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
All coil-overs I've run across have VASTLY too much drop. typically 1.5" is the minimum. Only way to get that back to "min drop" let alone zero is to replace the springs with 1" longer springs or have someone make an insert to get back the adjustment range.

I would pick the Ohlins over Rousch.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Many coil overs have reduced shock/strut droop length, which can cause big problems if a tire reaches max droop too soon.
Sponsored