COATING HEADERS...YES OR NO??

S550_GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
So I bought a set of SP headers (no cats) on Black Friday. They won't be put on the car until Feb. or March, gotta pass inspection first. Car is NA and also a daily that sees no track time. I've been trying to find out if spending an extra $400+ to jet them coated by Jet-Hot is worth the $. I've also seen something called Zycoat, which you buy by the quart and have someone spray the headers. This is $300 for just the coating.

For the cost, it seems Jet-Hot would be more cost effective. Plus Jet-Hot offers a life-time guarantee on the coating.

Are there any downsides to having them coated besides the cost? Will having them coated help protect any other components that will see excess heat from long tubes? All the guys I know that run long tubes are not coated and say don't bother with coating. Let me know what you all think.
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
You're probably better off just wrapping them.

JR

OP
OP
S550_GTCS

S550_GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
I hadn't really considered that due to moisture and possible rusting issues. Thanks, I'll look into it and see what I can find.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Coating for what? 304 stainless is all you need. I've had ARH long tubes on my gt/cs for 4 years now, they still look like when I bought them.

OP
OP
S550_GTCS

S550_GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
As I mentioned... to keep the heat down under the hood.

Sponsored

Littleredd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT W/PP2
Coating for what? 304 stainless is all you need. I've had ARH long tubes on my gt/cs for 4 years now, they still look like when I bought them.
No doubt the steel will hold up to almost all conditions, and I don't know how true this is, but I was told that ceramic coating the headers will reduce the heat they put out under the hood. For reducing heatsoak and shit I guess?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
No doubt the steel will hold up to almost all conditions
Well if the road salt in New Jersey is the same witches brew they use here in Manitoba, stainless won't hold up for long. Found that out after driving for a short stint the first winter after buying my car.

O/P: Black BBQ paint. Bake em afterwards at a couple hundred degrees. If you can't, let it outgas for a week. Then when installing, make sure you don't scratch em. Cheers.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Just went on Tasca parts, the replacement battery by Motorcraft is rated at 590cca..$120.00

I looked at the highly-rated Odyssey battery- ( ODP-AGM96R)-for our cars 600cca ,$249.00 has a 2 year warranty.
Wrong thread?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Coating headers keeps the heat in the tubes. This increases the gas velocity. That helps scavenging. Header wraps do the same thing, but because of condensation it reduces the life of the header.

Coatings also slow down corrosion, especially if they are coated inside and out. Like Jet Hot.

Is it worth it? If racing yes.

If you live in an area that gets lots of snow and lots of salt on the roads, I'd say yes again.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase