Sponsored

E3 Spark Plugs for 5.0 - Yes / No?

DropTop66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Can't find much info on the use of E3 plugs on my 2015 S550 5.0. Searched on plugs and found some discussion on NGK and Brisk as well as Motorcraft but nothing on E3.

Anyone using the E3.74's. Would appreciate any pros & cons.

The only thing I found elsewhere was a reference to the car throwing a possible DTC due to the E3 flame front spreading so fast compared to stock plugs and the computer thinking there is a problem with the plug. I don't quite understand the basis for this comment as I don't know how the ECU knows how fast the mixture is igniting in the cylinder but that's maybe just ignorance on my part.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Been a while since I've seen a new gimmick for a ground electrode.....

But usually you don't want the center electrode shrouded, and in some cases people index (normal) plugs to keep the ground electrode away from the center of the combustion chamber.

OP
OP

DropTop66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
I understand about the orientation of the ground electrode and it makes sense not to impede the flame propagation. That being said, there appears to be a fair amount of confidence that having multiple side electrodes improves the width of the flame front and hence leads to more complete combustion.
Commercials on cable TV purport that 16-time NHRA Funny Car champ John Force uses E3s across his whole racing team and I would guess that he probably knows a thing or two about motors.
So that still makes me curious why there's not a thread about someone trying them.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Commercials on cable TV purport that 16-time NHRA Funny Car champ John Force uses E3s across his whole racing team and I would guess that he probably knows a thing or two about motors.
It would surprise me to see a nitro car running these, but then again the ignition systems in them are roughly equivalent to a stout welder and plugs are basically toast after one run anyway.
Sponsored