Sponsored

Clutch Engaging CLUNK?

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
I have a 2016 Mustang GT base model with premium wheels and I know how to drive stick well. I got my 2012 Civic Si to 78k miles with original transmission and clutch with zero issues.

Anyways, with the driver window down, I hear a clunk when the clutch is engaged and I move forward. Same with second gear but you can't really hear it in 3 or anything faster.

What is strange is when I go down hill. If I am stopped, put it in neutral, and relese the brake, no clunk at all. The clunking stops while the clutch pedal is used, weather it is full pressed or not, I can hear it.

I check the suspension and see nothing wrong and the tires has no play at all. No wobbling.

Is my pilot bearing going out? Should I get my tires balanced? I am out of ideas.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Are you sure you aren’t feeling/hearing driveline backlash from the differential? That clunk is normal when releasing the clutch slowly and moving at an idle.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you sure you aren’t feeling/hearing driveline backlash from the differential? That clunk is normal when releasing the clutch slowly and moving at an idle.
I didn't know that. Anything else I should check?

Being in Phoenix I never put the windows down with the radio on. This is the 3rd year of owning this and drove a motorcycle as my daily, along with the Pandemic closing things for year, I never noticed.

TLDR: I never drove it with the windows down and no radio until now. Work is mentally taxing and now I enjoy driving to just the drone of the motor.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
No need to grease anything, unless you have high mileage. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to drain the differential and put in fresh fluid. My car (2019 Bullitt with 5K miles on the odometer) does this too, as does all manual transmission cars. If your rear end isn’t howling or making grinding noises you’re good.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No need to grease anything, unless you have high mileage. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to drain the differential and put in fresh fluid. My car (2019 Bullitt with 5K miles on the odometer) does this too, as does all manual transmission cars. If your rear end isn’t howling or making grinding noises you’re good.
I was ways wondering when I should change the diff fluid, especially since I track it a few times out of the year.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I was ways wondering when I should change the diff fluid, especially since I track it a few times out of the year.
Oh yeah, if you’re tracking the car, I recommend changing the fluid. You’ve put some serious heat into the diff., so it’s good to change it now.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is exactly the same. It’s a huge amount of slop for a new car. Very 1970’s Friday afternoon build quality sadly.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Mine is exactly the same. It’s a huge amount of slop for a new car. Very 1970’s Friday afternoon build quality sadly.
2 piece driveshaft. The slop is built in, not a quality issue. For whatever reason it gets better over time... at least for me it did. Very prevalent early on but haven't even heard it in the last 30-40k miles. At 70k now.

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
2 piece driveshaft. The slop is built in, not a quality issue. For whatever reason it gets better over time... at least for me it did. Very prevalent early on but haven't even heard it in the last 30-40k miles. At 70k now.
My driveshaft was replaced under warranty after about 3k miles. The new driveshaft did this exact same thing. Now, at 54k miles, I barely hear it.

JR

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
In the video above it shows the shaft being rotated as it enters the diff, presumably without the wheels turning as they seem to be grounded. The shaft rotates by hand a huge amount in either direction. While I’m sure the 2 piece driveshaft is also a bit sloppy, the amount of backlash is the diff is inexcusable. Ford are capable of doing better. I rented a LWB transit recently for a day and that was slop free, despite using the same gearbox.

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
love me some driveline slop! my s197 sounded exactly the same so i’m used to it lol
Sponsored