Clutch Engagement Force

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
A few months ago I test drove a 2021 manual Mustang GT with magneride to see the difference. I immediately noticed the difference in force required to engage my clutch. It felt like my car needed 4x as much force to push the clutch in. I finally managed to get seen by my local dealership and their mechanic said something is off and gave me a quote of $2700 for parts and labor to replace everything.

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? I don't have any of the other symptoms listed here. The clutch also engages fine; it just requires noticeably more force than the 2021 Mustang. I am the second owner of this vehicle and my clutch has felt the same ever since I got it at 27k miles (I'm at 35,700 right now). It also looks like I have the thick factory clutch spring.
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Is it possible your car has an aftermarket clutch? I wouldn't pay that money if it is engaging like it is supposed to. The factory clutch spring is not that thick if I remember right.

OP
OP
Whitest Russian

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Is it possible your car has an aftermarket clutch? I wouldn't pay that money if it is engaging like it is supposed to. The factory clutch spring is not that thick if I remember right.
I've thought that and It could be possible but I don't think owner #1 would change it out for funsies. The only other thing he did was put some carbon fiber on and did some exhaust stuff. The previous owner was a Florida-Man so who knows. Shame I can't ask him or take a look without removing the transmission.

This looks like the stock clutch spring to me. It's definitively not the Steeda spring.

20210825_205515.jpg

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Yes, your spring looks stock. I attached a pic of mine. Even if it were the Steeda spring; it would not be hard to engage the clutch. The Steeda spring mostly makes the engagement point easier to feel and in the same place each time.

Clutch Spring.jpg

OP
OP
Whitest Russian

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Yes, your spring looks stock. I attached a pic of mine. Even if it were the Steeda spring; it would not be hard to engage the clutch. The Steeda spring mostly makes the engagement point easier to feel and in the same place each time.

Clutch Spring.jpg
Would the Steeda spring make it easier to press the pedal?

@tj@steeda

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
It is cheap enough that I would give it a try.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
A few months ago I test drove a 2021 manual Mustang GT with magneride to see the difference. I immediately noticed the difference in force required to engage my clutch. It felt like my car needed 4x as much force to push the clutch in. I finally managed to get seen by my local dealership and their mechanic said something is off and gave me a quote of $2700 for parts and labor to replace everything.

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? I don't have any of the other symptoms listed here. The clutch also engages fine; it just requires noticeably more force than the 2021 Mustang. I am the second owner of this vehicle and my clutch has felt the same ever since I got it at 27k miles (I'm at 35,700 right now). It also looks like I have the thick factory clutch spring.

Mine has this as well and I'm thinking is the clutch so will replace at some point also have nasty 2nd to 3rd lock-outs when trans is hot. If you go on the route of replacing clutch make sure to add aftermarket shifter (preferably barton or mgw) and a clutch line as this will highly improve your satisfaction with the car.

OP
OP
Whitest Russian

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Mine has this as well and I'm thinking is the clutch so will replace at some point also have nasty 2nd to 3rd lock-outs when trans is hot. If you go on the route of replacing clutch make sure to add aftermarket shifter (preferably barton or mgw) and a clutch line as this will highly improve your satisfaction with the car.
I haven't had any lockouts. Every now and then going from 2nd to 3rd I heard a little clunk but it still goes through without a problem.

But if the transmission ever comes off I do plan on replacing the shifter.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Whitest Russian

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I installed the Steeda spring over the weekend and while it does feel different; it still feels heavy.

I'm wondering if it might be my master/slave cylinder/clutch line. Does anyone have some insight?

OP
OP
Whitest Russian

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Also, the dealership that sold me the car checked on Car-fax and there was no clutch replacement on it. I know that's not everything but it has me leaning towards there being a problem with the stock clutch setup.

OP
OP
Whitest Russian

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
An update if anyone finds this thread in the future.

I replaced my stock clutch spring with the Steeda clutch spring. It still felt like it needed excessive force to engage. I ended up removing the Steeda clutch spring and replaced it with the stock one. Before replacing the stock spring I lubed up the 2 perches for the mount and now the force required feels correct.

I might go back to the Steeda spring but I mostly don't want to touch it and make it feel bad again.
Sponsored