Clunking Noise coming while turning the wheel

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Just wondering if anyone else has this issue, whenever I turn my steering wheel, I hear sometimes a single or sometimes two clunks coming from the front of the car, I can't pinpoint exactly where they're coming from, but it seems like its coming from around the struts area. I have gotten my car checked out multiple times with dealership and couple different mechanics, no issues were found and they're ruling it out as "Regular suspension noise".... Does anyone know what could be causing this? Recently, I had a crash and after receiving both new front struts, tie rods knuckles, bearings control arms, the noise still persists. It was there before and after, I have complained about it to the repair shop and even they aren't able to find any issue with any components. The car drives fine, no vibrations. I am wondering if there's an issue with the rack pinion but not sure if they already looked at it... Tomorrow, I'll see if I can go to a nearby dealership and test drive a gt or bullit if I am able to find one to observe if other mustangs have the noise also.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It could be the tires, since wide, sticky tires can 'hop', but it'd only be normal if done at full lock, and when tires are cold. Having said that, my Bullitt doesn't do it. My ex-Vette with 285 front tires did, however. Did you buy the car new? If yes, then I wouldn't worry. If not, then I'd like to know what's causing that. Good luck.

OP
OP

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I did buy the car brand new. It does it while turning off driveway or turning into a lot but only does it on slow speeds

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You know, just went for food on my car now, and what do you know; it freaking did it. Ha ha. It has to be the cold weather too; it's about 50F here. And now that I remember, my ex-Porsche did it too, and it only had 235/35/20 front summer tires, so apparently it's more of a sticky tire syndrome, than both sticky and wide. But it's only when getting out of the garage with cold tires, which requires full lock both ways. I also felt it at the back now, probably due to the Torsen, and the wider tires. I wouldn't worry about it, especially if it's only when cold. Or do you hear/feel it when car is fully warmed up, like when coming back to your house?

OP
OP

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
You know, just went for food on my car now, and what do you know; it freaking did it. Ha ha. It has to be the cold weather too; it's about 50F here. And now that I remember, my ex-Porsche did it too, and it only had 235/35/20 front summer tires, so apparently it's more of a sticky tire syndrome, than both sticky and wide. But it's only when getting out of the garage with cold tires, which requires full lock both ways. I also felt it at the back now, probably due to the Torsen, and the wider tires. I wouldn't worry about it, especially if it's only when cold. Or do you hear/feel it when car is fully warmed up, like when coming back to your house?
I will feel it coming back and while driving like if I get to a store and then into a lot, at slow speeds I'll hear it. I don't feel it in the wheel though so I'm not sure what it could be

Sponsored

OP
OP

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I just had my brother turn the wheel and had the hood open, it comes from where the strut is mounted. But the struts are brand new and old ones had same sound so I assume it's all safe?

S550VertCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2013 V6 Mustang Convertible, 2020 GT Convertible CS
I did buy the car brand new. It does it while turning off driveway or turning into a lot but only does it on slow speeds
Check the end links. I had a front sway bar and adjustable end links installed and a week later it was clunking like u describe. End links came loose and needed Torqueing.

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Hello,
Sorry to hear about your issue. From the way you describe it and with the number of attempts to fix it you've had, I am starting to get the sense this 'may be' a similar issue to what I went through with my 2016 Mustang GT which turned out to be a bad weld in the frame with Ford taking the car back. I am really hoping this is not your issue and should mention my diagnosis was confirmed to be extremely rare by Ford at all levels.

The process was not easy; 7 months of 'countless' phone calls and escalation right to Ford's regional level of management and Ford engineering. I recommend having them also check the steering column and rack. In my case they took the column apart. See if they can also put chassis ears on the car and have them test drive it which may allow them to better isolate the sound. The final attempted fix in my case was welding the underside of the frame rail above the front drivers side wheel (right below the strut mount) which did nothing. Ford engineering concluded there was a bad weld in the frame which would amplify the noise when stress was put on the frame if the car was turning. I do hope your solution is not this.

A few other things to note which I observed in my situation:
1. The sound did not always elicit itself on a turn but would only do it on a turn
2. The frequency of when I would hear the sound changed with each attempted fix
3. The actual sound itself was generally always the same but would sometimes be louder or quieter depending on the attempted fix
4. About mid way through the 7 month period I infrequently felt an ever so faint vibration in the brake or gas peddle (cannot remember which) timed with when I heard the sound.

Best of luck and let us know how things go.

OP
OP

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Hello,
Sorry to hear about your issue. From the way you describe it and with the number of attempts to fix it you've had, I am starting to get the sense this 'may be' a similar issue to what I went through with my 2016 Mustang GT which turned out to be a bad weld in the frame with Ford taking the car back. I am really hoping this is not your issue and should mention my diagnosis was confirmed to be extremely rare by Ford at all levels.

The process was not easy; 7 months of 'countless' phone calls and escalation right to Ford's regional level of management and Ford engineering. I recommend having them also check the steering column and rack. In my case they took the column apart. See if they can also put chassis ears on the car and have them test drive it which may allow them to better isolate the sound. The final attempted fix in my case was welding the underside of the frame rail above the front drivers side wheel (right below the strut mount) which did nothing. Ford engineering concluded there was a bad weld in the frame which would amplify the noise when stress was put on the frame if the car was turning. I do hope your solution is not this.

A few other things to note which I observed in my situation:
1. The sound did not always elicit itself on a turn but would only do it on a turn
2. The frequency of when I would hear the sound changed with each attempted fix
3. The actual sound itself was generally always the same but would sometimes be louder or quieter depending on the attempted fix
4. About mid way through the 7 month period I infrequently felt an ever so faint vibration in the brake or gas peddle (cannot remember which) timed with when I heard the sound.

Best of luck and let us know how things go.
Sorry to hear that. I'll definitely keep it in mind when I take it to get checked out next time I go there. I have pinpointed exactly where the "Click/Clunk" comes from. And it is at the top of the strut mount, the struts are new but they are still factory ones. I'll have ford look into it soon. In the mean time I'll try posting a video when it stops raining here.

GSFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I've got a similar issue - 2019 GT 13,500 miles. When making low-speed turns (5mph) to an extreme either left or right in a parking lot or when backing up I get a noticeable vibration in the steering wheel and a sound (whoom whoom) from the right front area ahead of the dash. Happens mostly when touching the accelerator - if I am coasting it doesn't do it. This is new in the last 500 miles. I'm under warranty and will take it in but if anyone has had this diagnosed and fixed I would appreciate your thoughts. Driving me nuts!

Sponsored
OP
OP

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I've got a similar issue - 2019 GT 13,500 miles. When making low-speed turns (5mph) to an extreme either left or right in a parking lot or when backing up I get a noticeable vibration in the steering wheel and a sound (whoom whoom) from the right front area ahead of the dash. Happens mostly when touching the accelerator - if I am coasting it doesn't do it. This is new in the last 500 miles. I'm under warranty and will take it in but if anyone has had this diagnosed and fixed I would appreciate your thoughts. Driving me nuts!
Found the issue myself. Had my brother turn the wheel while I was peeking under the hood. The sound was coming from strut mount. However I just got new struts in the front (following an accident). So I contacted the shop and they reused the original rubber mount and there's a bearing as well which are damaged. So strut mount and bearing have to be replaced.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Had this same issue with my previous 16 and I had to replace the left wheel bearing. Took my mechanic and ford techs a while to figure out tho 🙄

OP
OP

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Had this same issue with my previous 16 and I had to replace the left wheel bearing. Took my mechanic and ford techs a while to figure out tho 🙄
Apparently, there is a bearing in the strut mount itself. That is the one that the body shop said is bad and didn't arrive with the bushings so we are waiting for those.

GSFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Apparently, there is a bearing in the strut mount itself. That is the one that the body shop said is bad and didn't arrive with the bushings so we are waiting for those.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF IT SOLVES THE NOISE AND VIBRATION PLEASE!

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Good luck. I hope it solves the issue once you're done with it all. I know it was frustrating for me to find out the exact reason behind the noise and dumb ass technicians not knowing sh..
Sponsored