Sponsored

Close-call thread (Dash Cam)

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
It's a left turn lane, he's allowed to drive there if he's about to make a left turn. I think? Although he should have noticed the other traffic braking and anticipated something like this, I guess he's either a bad driver or wasn't paying attention.
He was going way too fast in the center lane to make a left turn anytime soon. He blew into the turn lane because he wasn't paying attention and knew he couldn't stop in time so swerved around the two stopped cars and nailed the guy pulling out.
Sponsored

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Audi S4, 2020 Mustang GT
He was going way too fast in the center lane to make a left turn anytime soon. He blew into the turn lane because he wasn't paying attention and knew he couldn't stop in time so swerved around the two stopped cars and nailed the guy pulling out.
i had originally said there were two idiots involved but i forgot the idiot #1 that was playing traffic cop allowing idiot #2 to pull out into traffic like that resulting in idiot #3 colliding with idiot #2. at least idiot #3 used his horn to let idiot #2 know there was going to be a collision.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
i had originally said there were two idiots involved but i forgot the idiot #1 that was playing traffic cop allowing idiot #2 to pull out into traffic like that resulting in idiot #3 colliding with idiot #2. at least idiot #3 used his horn to let idiot #2 know there was going to be a collision.
Geez, get off it already. I do not know how many years you have been driving but drivers 1, 2, & 4 did absolutely nothing wrong. This same maneuver happens hundreds of time a day without incident. None of the drivers could have possibly known (or seen) that the driver in the turn lane (#3) was coming down on them at a ridiculous speed for the time and place. I'd be willing to bet the cops saw it the exact same way and ticketed the driver in the turn lane.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed ... I NEVER will leave a gap open like that for someone to creep out into traffic. They can wait until traffic clears out better, or wait until someone beside me will let them out like that. The cars that stopped to let that guy out did not have a stop sign or traffic light so they have zero obligation to do what they did - they were just trying to be "courteous" and took a risk.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Agreed ... I NEVER will leave a gap open like that for someone to creep out into traffic. They can wait until traffic clears out better, or wait until someone beside me will let them out like that. The cars that stopped to let that guy out did not have a stop sign or traffic light so they have zero obligation to do what they did - they were just trying to be "courteous" and took a risk.
Respectfully I disagree with you. There are intersections where someone could literally sit there for hours. Just because some people are never courteous does not mean it is an incorrect action. In fact, most states have laws that you are not supposed to block an intersection when traffic is stopped in which case many times the driver in the side street would have an opportunity to cross if the other side of the road is not blocked. In my view the driver that is crossing traffic from the side street should proceed with caution (be extremely defensive), but also the driver in the turn lane was going at an unreasonable speed for a turn lane and shared or carried the fault (or at least should have).

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Respectfully I disagree with you. There are intersections where someone could literally sit there for hours. Just because some people are never courteous does not mean it is an incorrect action. In fact, most states have laws that you are not supposed to block an intersection when traffic is stopped in which case many times the driver in the side street would have an opportunity to cross if the other side of the road is not blocked. In my view the driver that is crossing traffic from the side street should proceed with caution (be extremely defensive), but also the driver in the turn lane was going at an unreasonable speed for a turn lane and shared or carried the fault (or at least should have).
Even if there's a law not to block the intersecton, I'm not gonna follow it. Already had one car wrecked by an idiot that didn't know how to cautiously proceed through an opening in stopped traffic. I'll never allow idiots on the road to execute an idiot move around me if I have a way to do that.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
But if you let somebody go because you're being courteous, and that results in an accident, you're not legally to blame. Just because you let him go in front of you does not make you in any way responsible for whatever results. Obviously the laws differ between jurisdictions, but I would be very surprised if there's any jurisdiction anywhere in the US that would assign blame to someone just for allowing a car to go in front of them, that would be crazy.

And yes, the law is that you're not supposed to block an intersection. That's why the silver SUV left a gap between himself and the car in front of him, and the Tahoe used that gap to sneak into the intersection.

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Audi S4, 2020 Mustang GT
But if you let somebody go because you're being courteous, and that results in an accident, you're not legally to blame. Just because you let him go in front of you does not make you in any way responsible for whatever results. Obviously the laws differ between jurisdictions, but I would be very surprised if there's any jurisdiction anywhere in the US that would assign blame to someone just for allowing a car to go in front of them, that would be crazy.

And yes, the law is that you're not supposed to block an intersection. That's why the silver SUV left a gap between himself and the car in front of him, and the Tahoe used that gap to sneak into the intersection.
from a legal perspective there are no such things as car accidents. the definition of an accident is
"an unexpected happening causing loss or injury which is not due to any fault or misconduct on the part of the person injured but for which legal relief may be sought."
all traffic collisions involve some sort of action that should not have taken place whether it be speed, distraction, shitbox unsafe car or other poor driving.
at a controlled intersection you are correct in that you cannot block the intersection but what we have here is a side street. with heavy traffic like that the prudent thing to do would have been make a right turn when safe and then either turn left or make a u turn again when it is safe. I have seen this happen multiple times in the 40s years I have been driving. some idiot decides to be traffic cop either letting another idiot out or stopping for yet another idiot trying to make an unsafe turn.

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Well had a near accident yesterday with a guy completely blowing through a red light going probably at least 40-50mph on a 25mph street. Luckily wasn't in that intersection a few second earlier.
Good reactions! The best way to deal with an accident is to be defensive and avoid it. Well done!

sjmurphy34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP Magnetic
Good reactions! The best way to deal with an accident is to be defensive and avoid it. Well done!
Thank you! Completely agree about defensive driving part. There's so many people on the road that can't be bothered to pay attention and put everyone around them at risk. I try my best to constantly scan around me and anticipate things before they happen. This one definitely caught me off guard and luckily my brain and instincts made the right decision. Still very scary that if I had gotten to that intersection a few moments earlier my fiance could have gotten seriously injured or worse killed. Really infuriating.

Stay safe out there everyone.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thank you! Completely agree about defensive driving part. There's so many people on the road that can't be bothered to pay attention and put everyone around them at risk. I try my best to constantly scan around me and anticipate things before they happen. This one definitely caught me off guard and luckily my brain and instincts made the right decision. Still very scary that if I had gotten to that intersection a few moments earlier my fiance could have gotten seriously injured or worse killed. Really infuriating.

Stay safe out there everyone.
Yeah, I was in a similar situation a month or so ago (but I have no dashcam). Entered a roundabout and was intending to take the second exit straight across from me. A semi was coming down the first exit/entrance and blew into the roundabout at about 30mph without even looking. Had I not been watching him and anticipated that he was not slowing down and not looking, my wife would probably not be here anymore and possibly myself. He would have plowed straight into the passenger door of my convertible. Very scary!

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I was in a similar situation a month or so ago (but I have no dashcam). Entered a roundabout and was intending to take the second exit straight across from me. A semi was coming down the first exit/entrance and blew into the roundabout at about 30mph without even looking. Had I not been watching him and anticipated that he was not slowing down and not looking, my wife would probably not be here anymore and possibly myself. He would have plowed straight into the passenger door of my convertible. Very scary!
I had some dumbass in a roundabout come head on towards me because instead of them going right and going 270 deg around the roundabout like they should have, they took a left and wanted to only go 90 degrees the wrong way to take a "short cut" ... heading right for me. Half the people on the roads are too stupid to drive anymore.