"Click" / ping from axle. LOUD! Help?

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
CV joint....same noise here. Replaced both half axles and the noise is gone. Others have reported the same issue and resolution.

So, ive driven nearly 400 miles in the car today, and its still silent.

Im gonna put my neck on the block and say its fixed!!!

CJGT350 had it right in the 1st reply to the thread, so thanks :)

However, im still happy with my order of work and fault elimination, and this is what I would recommend to others. Starting with the cheapest and easiest and working up to $$$

Most of these could be done by one shop in one appointment if you went prepped.

1) Check half-shaft retaining bolts and even but new ones. Torque to 150lb ft + 45 degress with LocTite.

2) Check rear brake pad springs not fouling

3) Check all bolts on rear end. Pay close attention to the diff carrier bushings. They were not the source of my noise, but I discovered mine were shot at 40k miles on inspection.

4) Replace half-shafts. I went for Ford Racing GT350 items because

a) why not
b they are beefier than stock
c) they are good value

Good luck any peeps with this problem in the future.
Sponsored

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I FINALLY got the transmission back in and what do you know, the clicking sound is gone. It was the factory half shafts as I suspected based on what others on here had explained and videos posted. Thanks for all the info, bring on the road courses!

Sponsored

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
After about 1000 miles the clicking and popping returned, and it was as bad as ever.

So today I replaced my wheel bearings again.

Only 6m old with about 10k miles. Only fitted through this summer season and they look like they've been under the freaking ocean. OEM Motorcraft.

Replaced with Timken. Clicking popping has gone, but for how long. When I put the GT350 half shafts in, it was silent for a few weeks and about 1k miles.

Old vs new

IMG_20180913_145023.jpg

IMG_20180913_145043.jpg

IMG_20180913_145030.jpg

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
After 18months and $$$$ Ive finally solved my DS clicking issue.

Heres what we replaced:

- Wheel bearings 3 times
- Driveshafts (upgraded to GT350)
- Nuts (twice)
- Diff carrier bearings
- Greased / checked / loosened and refit everything multiple times.

I eventually found a great shop, who on describing the problem said he once had something similar with a Camaro. He immediately went to these, ordered new ones and voila, problem solved.

dsclick2.jpg

dsclick1.jpg

Importantly, he said that the new items from Ford were significantly thicker and look to have been redesigned.

So, finally done with this issue!!

TrevorGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
race red 2015 GT
What are they?
Iā€™m still dealing with the same thing. Dealership keeps changing parts for it to only keep coming back.

Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
id like to know what they are also , ive had the same noise . i just ordered a bearing but while im there id like to replace the piece your talking about while i have it apart

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
What are they?
Iā€™m still dealing with the same thing. Dealership keeps changing parts for it to only keep coming back.
id like to know what they are also , ive had the same noise . i just ordered a bearing but while im there id like to replace the piece your talking about while i have it apart
I dont know the technical name, but they are a sort of spring washer that sits between the back face of the wheel hub/bearing and the end of the D/S.

If the D/S is removed, they are immediately noticeable.

My original D/S on the car had them, and my OEM replacement GT350 shafts too.

The shop said the replacements he ordered were significantly thicker. Noise gone immediately.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ā€˜16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ā€˜19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
Yep, my 99 IRS Cobra made that sound, and so did my 2016 GT. 2018 GT does it too, but not nearly that loud.
Sponsored