Matador91

Benchmark Auto Salon
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I personally am not a fan of repaints. When at all possible I try and maintain the original paint. To repaint the nose of a car that is covered in rock chips is no easy task, the bumper, hood, fenders, must be stripped then primed, then painted. It's a process that even when done correctly you will be dealing with overspray, paint lines, compound polish and swirlmarks. I would just prefer to maintain the original paint and not have to worry about those issues.
Sponsored

hunter7389

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Premium M6 401 PP1, Silver
I personally am not a fan of repaints. When at all possible I try and maintain the original paint. To repaint the nose of a car that is covered in rock chips is no easy task, the bumper, hood, fenders, must be stripped then primed, then painted. It's a process that even when done correctly you will be dealing with overspray, paint lines, compound polish and swirlmarks. I would just prefer to maintain the original paint and not have to worry about those issues.
As an painter, I disagree. A competent shop and painter can match colors without over spray, tape lines, swirls...etc. But in any case Its up to you :)

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
At my shop in the Seattle area I install XPEL ultimate film. Partial kits are $795 and Full coverage, meaning full hood, fenders bumper, headlights, side mirrors, fog lights are $1,725. Most dealers tend to sublet film out to installers. When they do that they usually aren't looking for the best film or the best installs, as much as looking for the best price so they can profit more. My recommendation is to look around and try not to purchase items such as film from dealers.
That makes me feel better.

I asked the dealer to use xpel ultimate and they said no problem. That said, a local shop the is known for quality tints and clear bras/body wraps quoted me $100 less.

Probably will go that way even though it means a bit of exposure unprotected.

I'd argue if you're paying 1800-2000 for clear bra you might as well just repaint.
There's a price at which clear bra doesnt really make sense unless you are driving an investment future classic etc.
While I agree there is a probably a price point, I disagree at the one you've proposed.

A decent paint job is not cheap. Plus get it painted and on the way home you could have a new rock chip - I'd literally need to repaint almost every year. With a good clear bra, you have no (or very few) chips on a permanent basis.

To me painting is less than ideal in terms of resale. I'd much rather be able to say original paint in pristine shape vs.no chips because hood, fenders, and bumper were just repainted. Again.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
In Minnesota...

My dealer quoted a partial (mid-hood/full fender) 3M clear film for $850 (w/tax) and $1600 for full (hood/doors, etc.).
I am hoping that 3M comes out with a kit that covers just the cowl.

Matador91

Benchmark Auto Salon
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I don't want to be one of those guys that says bad things about 3M clear film, but being a installer of 3M film for over 2 years and now being a installer XPEL ultimate, I can say XPEL is a superior film on many levels. From the clarity to the durability. Not only is XPEL film better but the patterns that XPEL offers are much better and offer more coverage than 3M. Just my professional opinion

Sponsored

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
I don't want to be one of those guys that says bad things about 3M clear film, but being a installer of 3M film for over 2 years and now being a installer XPEL ultimate, I can say XPEL is a superior film on many levels. From the clarity to the durability. Not only is XPEL film better but the patterns that XPEL offers are much better and offer more coverage than 3M. Just my professional opinion
Great to hear! I just got XPEL bra done yesterday. Looks great. Hopefully I won't have to see how it performs, if you know what I mean.

TeddysStang

1st time Stang owner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
CarolinaCarConnections.info
First Name
Teddy
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Premium GT - 20" wheels
I was just quoted 700-750$ for the front end, mirror housing, kick panels to be wrapped in a clear protective film.
honestly it is more than I expected, but my salesman has been great so it's hard for me to picture him lying about it.
Has anyone else got a price for this?
Dang, I feel like I got a great deal then. I am getting my whole front end and mirrors done with 3M clear vinyl as well as all the lights and tailights done with tint vinyl wrap as well as windows tinted for around $800 at SunStoppers. I did get a good deal because my salesman is friend of mine and recommended me to them and he told the guy to hook me up. I guessed I got hooked up.

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
Xpel Ultra and OptiCoat pro done today.

Wow. It's gorgeous. I don't think I've ever seen a finish that nice on a car before. Will have to take pics tomorrow in the sun.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
I got quoted just over $1000 (did a line item quote for me) for 3M Scotchgard Pro Series (says it is self healing). I asked for it specifically as their usual is just the regular Scotchgard.....at Direct Tint in Golden. It was for: 24" up hood and fenders, full front bumper, mirrors, headlights, rockers, behind front & rear wheels, inside door handles, door edges, and trunk edge. He only charged extra for the Pro series upgrade on the large pieces, so only cost me $70 extra total to do it all in Pro Series. Another local shop quoted me Suntek brand clear bra but was more expensive and I've never heard of that brand. Interested in Xpel you guys are all raving about. Might have to find a shop that does that to get a price. Was going to do full hood and fenders but just the full front end was going to be $1700 by itself!

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
Installed it myself. $100 for 18" hood, fender, full bumper, mirror, lights. Good enough for me. Will do it later on again.
Sponsored