Sponsored

Cleaning alcantara steering wheel

Five0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium
Sorry if this has been answered I haven't really had time to be on here and nothing came up in a search.

I have the gt350 steering wheel and it's at the point that it just feels disgusting and the alcantara is flat. Is there anything I can do to bring it back to how it was new?
Sponsored

Fox-4

Just Lurking!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
'02 Mustang GT, '16 Mustang Ecoboost
I know the cobra guys would use a mild detergent and a soft clean towel to blot clean the alcantara seat inserts

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP

SVT Wylde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randall
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Use a 50/50 mix of Woolite and water and dry with a clean towel. You can use a brush during the application process to work the solution in and brush it gently while drying and it will look like new again.

RonStang6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Oxford White Auto
Sorry if this has been answered I haven't really had time to be on here and nothing came up in a search.

I have the gt350 steering wheel and it's at the point that it just feels disgusting and the alcantara is flat. Is there anything I can do to bring it back to how it was new?
This is the reason BMW stopped using alcantara on M3 steering wheels 10 years ago, I guess Ford never got the message.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
This is the reason BMW stopped using alcantara on M3 steering wheels 10 years ago, I guess Ford never got the message.
BMW did it because their customers had dirty hands. Not much of a problem for Ford owners except for the few former BMW owners who try to move up without adjusting their hand cleaning.

RonStang6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Oxford White Auto
BMW did it because their customers had dirty hands. Not much of a problem for Ford owners except for the few former BMW owners who try to move up without adjusting their hand cleaning.
No because alcantara is one those upholstery materials that look good on the show room floor but is tough to live with on a long term basis. People with GT350 steering wheels will hate them after 20k miles when they are all worn through to base material of the steering wheel. Has nothing to do with who owns what car. Alcantara is just a bad choice for a steering wheel cover.

EddieGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2012 Challenger SRT8, 67 Fastback

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
No because alcantara is one those upholstery materials that look good on the show room floor but is tough to live with on a long term basis. People with GT350 steering wheels will hate them after 20k miles when they are all worn through to base material of the steering wheel. Has nothing to do with who owns what car. Alcantara is just a bad choice for a steering wheel cover.
The oils and moisture on your hands cause it to mat down, the constant activity picks up the nap in small increments causing it to pill. This is just a function of Alcantara. Great if you're wearing racing gloves all the time, but maybe not for a DD.

This is exactly why my GT350 steering wheel is being recovered in half perforated/half solid leather.

Sponsored

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
This works great on Alcantara. I've used it for a long time and combined with a brush it keeps the Alcantara looking new.
I used it for 4 years in the nearly-white seats in my Passat SEL Premium. They looked great, but that color lead to so much maintenance...

Bonus: the Sonax adds a mild repellant so it will at least be a LITTLE longer before you need to deal with it again, but infinitely easier to conquer.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The Boss 302 wheel I had in my S197 was almost like new after 30K plus. I expect the GT350R wheel I have now will be the same. I would still use an Alcantara wheel even if it only lasted a year; I'd treat it as a consumable and be more than happy to pay for the way it feels and grips. Fortunately I don't have to.

I'm not saying some people won't have worse "luck".

OP
OP

Five0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium
My wheel is disgusting is the only way to describe it. Have to wash my hands after lol. I'm ordering that stuff now. It's my own fault tho I should of been maintaining it but just was too busy

OP
OP

Five0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium
I bought the bottle of sonax and the brush off amazon and it really works. Some spots were so flat and sticky I didn't think it was possible to bring it back to life. Thanks for the recommendation.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Fabric cleaner and a soft brush?
Sponsored