Sponsored

Check your roof for damage; new tonneau caps required

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
Convertible roof issue with the plastic tonneau caps.

When the plastic caps are fitted they appear to be rubbing through the roof fabricwhich is visible above the doors when the roof is up. See pictures. If your roof is damaged then it’s a new roof under warranty and at least five months* in the dealer to do it.

If your roof is not damaged then speak to your dealer for a set of revised tonneau caps, you’ll need to hand over your old ones. The new ones are quite a bit different.

*Mine has been in the dealer since September for a new roof and the roof still isn’t right on it, it’s had two roofs fitted (so in total that’s three whole new roofs fitted to the car), several attempts at alignment and now part of the roof assembly is still defective requiring yet another replacement.
0E7E28F5-4BD6-4B82-96D8-6D557B54F1FD.jpeg
5F701069-A8B0-43ED-8F88-D510FF5DE14C.jpeg
Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I generally only use mine for long weekend drives, as I can't be bothered putting them on for the 25 drive home from the office, only to have to get out of the car to remove them and put the top up when I get home. I know that they did change them at some point. I believe that there were molded circles on the inner side that they cut down, the ones on mine are maybe 1mm tall, that were causing the damage. I haven't seen an older one to gauge against mine to see the difference but I'm sure that they did that for either late 2017s or started with the 2018s.

OP
OP
Tim_

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I generally only use mine for long weekend drives, as I can't be bothered putting them on for the 25 drive home from the office, only to have to get out of the car to remove them and put the top up when I get home. I know that they did change them at some point. I believe that there were molded circles on the inner side that they cut down, the ones on mine are maybe 1mm tall, that were causing the damage. I haven't seen an older one to gauge against mine to see the difference but I'm sure that they did that for either late 2017s or started with the 2018s.
I think you’re right, mine is a 2017 car and that had the badly designed version. I won’t bother with them ever again, the risk of another 5 months (and counting) of the car in the dealer isn’t worth it. In fact, we’re even thinking of getting out of the Mustang due to the whole ordeal which is pretty hard going since I wanted one when I was about 6 years old.

Anyway, my strategy in the future is to not fit them and just give the mechanism a good clean out in the future with the vacuum.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Tim_, I think that you can grind off the offensive bits and then don't have the problem. I may have seen that somewhere on this forum but you'd have to search it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tim_

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tim_, I think that you can grind off the offensive bits and then don't have the problem. I may have seen that somewhere on this forum but you'd have to search it.
Too late now, you get the revised caps with the new roof.

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Has anyone been able to get the replacement? I just called my local AutoNation Ford, which is the one I take my wife's car for warranty work. They looked up the car by VIN and told me there was no recall so they couldn't replace it. Guy literally told me I had extended warranty through CPO until 48K so to wait for the car to break and then they'll replace the roof for free. They "couldn't" give me the new tonneau covers.

OP
OP
Tim_

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone been able to get the replacement? I just called my local AutoNation Ford, which is the one I take my wife's car for warranty work. They looked up the car by VIN and told me there was no recall so they couldn't replace it. Guy literally told me I had extended warranty through CPO until 48K so to wait for the car to break and then they'll replace the roof for free. They "couldn't" give me the new tonneau covers.
It’s not under a recall, it’s listed as something else. A few of the UK dealers I’ve spoken to seem to be sorting them out no problem but it’s on a customer request by customer request basis.

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I wonder if the willingness to replace is a UK thing. Would love to hear from US based members to see if they're getting replacements, and if so, how they managed it.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I was one of the posters who grinded down the ribs so that it would not cut the top. Mine had already been damaged. It stops the damage.

CVCashmere

Sponsored

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I was one of the posters who grinded down the ribs so that it would not cut the top. Mine had already been damaged. It stops the damage.

CVCashmere
Can you show us what exactly needs removing?

OP
OP
Tim_

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

CVCashmere
Can you post up what the damage was? Is it similar to my original post?

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I would be interested in more info as well. I just had my top replaced for other reasons... I did not see any damaged caused by the original covers, but don't want to take a chance..

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
My damage was similar to yours.

I filed down the ribs so they were less aggresive. Next I will add some foam padding.

CVCashmere

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
My damage was similar to yours.

I filed down the ribs so they were less aggresive. Next I will add some foam padding.

CVCashmere
when you say "ribs" are you talking about the very edge of the covers? and what area? by the round portion or the whole length of the cover?
Sponsored