Sponsored

Check on fitment for 285 Square setup

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
I'm considering an Ace wheel that is available in ET35 and ET40. After looking at that pic of the ET40 wheel fitment and hearing your explanation of the problems some people have with the ET40s rubbing with certain strut/tire combos, I think I'll go with the ET35. My question for the thread is how close will I be to rubbing the fender now with 285s on the 19x10, ET 35 wheels? On the fitment web pages it looks like I may have only a 1/4" or so of clearance. I guess that's enough as long as nothing touches right? What about tire deformity under hard turns etc? Anything to be concerned with there?
Nothing to worry about, it will be fine. Very common setup
Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Everyone, finally about to pull the trigger on some new wheels (thanks to a nice bonus), specifically the SM-10 from Apex since I've heard good things about them. I'll be going for the 19x10 wheels with the 40 offset and I was wondering if there would be any issues on fitment of the tires up front. Since my car is also my daily on the East Coast (DMV) I'll probably be going with the Michelin AS4. I've herd mixed things about the fitment of the 285 tires; some saying the tires would rub and others saying it's fine and was wondering if any one is running wheels with a similar offset and size and if the could chime in if there would be any issues. Asking because I read somewhere that Michelin are on the wider side. Probably doesn't matter but the only mod I have on my car is the Steeda G-Trac Brace.
They will fit no issue but look at the diameter, it will create much more fender to wheel gap than stock.
275/40r19 will fill the wheel well much better.
Iā€™m in the same situation and have done a lot of research and seen the pics.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
They will fit no issue but look at the diameter, it will create much more fender to wheel gap than stock.
275/40r19 will fill the wheel well much better.
Iā€™m in the same situation and have done a lot of research and seen the pics.
285/35 is perfectly fine. The aggressive offset more than makes up for the tire sizeā€¦ being pushed out flush helps it visually vill the wheel well very nicely.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
No, the idea comes from (rare) reports here from people with S550s who post here who have had tires sometimes rub the strut with ET40s.

Look at the picture. Most shocks dont have that recessed cutout that those yellow bilsteins do, so a ET40 10ā€ wheel is actually very close to the strut with some tires. Some 285s seem to touch some shocks under full droop. Others clear. Either way a little rubbin at full droop isnā€™t usually a deal killer and many people dont seem to have the issue. ET35 fits every time.
I am aware it's close but I've seen +35-40 recommended so often here with no caveats that I didn't realize it could be an issue with stock struts.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I am aware it's close but I've seen +35-40 recommended so often here with no caveats that I didn't realize it could be an issue with stock struts.
Here's the thing.
You can try to get a no-spacer setup if you have the perfect offset. (I don't know what is that offset for sure. Perhaps it is 35 or 40, as has been suggested.) You can use a 3-5mm spacer for a smidge more clearance with the strut.

OR, you can get a higher offset wheel, and add the correct width spacer to also achieve flush fit and strut clearance, as I said above. BUT, once you get to a 1/4" thick spacer or thicker, you should install longer studs, for safety.

The second route also gives you wiggle room for the rear wheels, since your setup will be square (and thus same offset all four wheels). The same advice for fine-tuning the rear wheel fit with spacers applies (less than 1/4" spacer allowed).

Historically, the PP1 9.5" rear wheel was 52mm offset, and requires 1/2" spacer up front to clear the strut.
So, 52mm -1/2" = 40mm offset with no spacer.
A 1/2" wider wheel (10") should require 1/4" less offset, which is why 35mm has been suggested to work. But I think it will poke slightly in the rear. This explains the advantage of optimizing rear wheel flush fit, and then fine-tuning the front fit with spacers, longer studs, and open-end lugs.

Bonus tip:
If your car has 20k+ miles, and you are considering new front hubs, you can order GT350 version which comes with longer studs, or GT350R version which comes with much longer studs, for about the same price as your current studs. Then your car is ready for anything. (Open-ended lugs also required.)

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
285/35 is perfectly fine. The aggressive offset more than makes up for the tire sizeā€¦ being pushed out flush helps it visually vill the wheel well very nicely.
I really wish I had more pics.
I have RTR Tech 7 - 9.5" wide and I want to put 285/35r19's but I'm really worried about extra wheel gap . My RTR's are 33mm offset so I think that moves them out much more than stock.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the thing.
You can try to get a no-spacer setup if you have the perfect offset. (I don't know what is that offset for sure. Perhaps it is 35 or 40, as has been suggested.) You can use a 3-5mm spacer for a smidge more clearance with the strut.

OR, you can get a higher offset wheel, and add the correct width spacer to also achieve flush fit and strut clearance, as I said above. BUT, once you get to a 1/4" thick spacer or thicker, you should install longer studs, for safety.

The second route also gives you wiggle room for the rear wheels, since your setup will be square (and thus same offset all four wheels). The same advice for fine-tuning the rear wheel fit with spacers applies (less than 1/4" spacer allowed).

Historically, the PP1 9.5" rear wheel was 52mm offset, and requires 1/2" spacer up front to clear the strut.
So, 52mm -1/2" = 40mm offset with no spacer.
A 1/2" wider wheel (10") should require 1/4" less offset, which is why 35mm has been suggested to work. But I think it will poke slightly in the rear. This explains the advantage of optimizing rear wheel flush fit, and then fine-tuning the front fit with spacers, longer studs, and open-end lugs.

Bonus tip:
If your car has 20k+ miles, and you are considering new front hubs, you can order GT350 version which comes with longer studs, or GT350R version which comes with much longer studs, for about the same price as your current studs. Then your car is ready for anything. (Open-ended lugs also required.)
That's why my Steeda wheels have +37 offset. It's perfect. šŸ˜€

I'm aware many use up to 5 mm slip-on spacers to fine tune the front fitment. The only thing I didn't know was with +40 offset the spacers might be needed to ensure strut clearance rather than a purely a cosmetic adjustment.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
That's why my Steeda wheels have +37 offset. It's perfect. šŸ˜€

I'm aware many use up to 5 mm slip-on spacers to fine tune the front fitment. The only thing I didn't know was with +40 offset the spacers might be needed to ensure strut clearance rather than a purely a cosmetic adjustment.
Therein lies the challenge. Flush with the fender, and clearance with the strut.

Which is why I just think that a 10" wheel is the limit up front without poke for a GT.

OP
OP

Halvaroth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang GT
Thanks for the discussion. I'm thinking now since the strut clearance concerns seems to only be at full droop that I'll go ahead with buying the wheels and getting the 285s. I do have the stock struts, if there is any issue with fitment, I'll just go to 275s worst case to have a bit more of a clearance. Also just in case could some one link me to the 3mm offsets that were suggested (I'd need 4 right? if I go that route).

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
eBay and CJ pony is where I find mine. And you only need 2. For the fronts.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Therein lies the challenge. Flush with the fender, and clearance with the strut.

Which is why I just think that a 10" wheel is the limit up front without poke for a GT.
With enough camber at the strut tower, and exactly the right offsets, you can fit 315s on 11s under there and tuck them in under the fender. The lower part of the wheel/tire will be hanging out in the wind but it can tuck at the top.

IMG_4734.jpeg

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
we run a 19x10 35mm square setup on a 285/35/19 day and night 40mm should be no problem! 3mm spacer if concerned about rubbing or hitting strut !
Sponsored