Sponsored

Check Engine Light - P0202

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
Hi All,

This afternoon, my stock, unmodified GT500 with 800 miles on it threw a check engine light. I put a code reader on it and got P0202 - Cylinder 2 Injector A Circuit.

The Ford service manual lists the possible causes for P202 as follows:

"The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) monitors the operation of the fuel injector drivers in the PCM. This DTC sets when the fuel injector circuitry is inoperative.
• VPWR circuit open (if equipped)
• INJ2 circuit open
• INJ2 circuit short to ground (direct injection vehicles)
• INJ2 circuit short to voltage (direct injection vehicles)
• INJ2RTN circuit open (if equipped)
• INJ2RTN circuit short to ground (if equipped)
• INJ2RTN circuit short to voltage (if equipped)
• Damaged fuel injector 2"

I took a peek at the injector 2 connector and it seems to be snugly connected.

Has anyone encountered this, or something similar? Any ideas on some circuit troubleshooting I can perform before surrendering to the dealer? I would hope an injector wouldn't die at 800 miles but who knows...
Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Why don't you try to clear the code, drive it and see if the code pops up again. If it does reoccur, time to take it in for warranty work.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
You could swap the injector with one next to it it as well as re-seat the connector and follow the wiring as far as you can to ensure no chafing, etc.

OP
OP
raidernixon

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why don't you try to clear the code, drive it and see if the code pops up again. If it does reoccur, time to take it in for warranty work.
Tried that, stayed clear for about 10 minutes and then came back.

I might try swapping the injectors, but prob wouldn't be able to until this weekend...they appear to be buried pretty deep.

We are supposed to take it out for a track event this weekend...not sure if that's gonna happen now.

OP
OP
raidernixon

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an update, it went to the dealer first thing yesterday morning.

Due to the low mileage, a Ford Engineer has been engaged to assist the dealer. It sounds like they have ruled out a faulty injector, and are now searching through all of the wiring harness and connector pins in efforts to locate where the fault is.

Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
As an update, it went to the dealer first thing yesterday morning.

Due to the low mileage, a Ford Engineer has been engaged to assist the dealer. It sounds like they have ruled out a faulty injector, and are now searching through all of the wiring harness and connector pins in efforts to locate where the fault is.

For the bucks you paid for your car, an engineer assigned to solve your issue is warranted. I do hope it's an easy fix.

OP
OP
raidernixon

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Happy days...she came home last night. Turns out it was a pin fit issue on the #2 fuel injector wiring harness connector.

Here is what is quoted on the service ticket:
"code p0202 contacted hotline due to vehicle not currently misfiring concern not present other than CEL, ran ppt replaced #2 fuel injector connector due to pin fit issue at connector c1082 harness 12c508, retested pass kg1-yes, kg2-no, kg3-yes 12.9 volts, kg4-yes 0.3 ohms, kg5-yes ool, kg6-no 0 volts, kg7-yes, kg8-no, kg15-yes replaced pcm pcm not the issue vehicle has a pin fit issue on #2 fuel injector connector"

Hopefully this is helpful if someone else encounters this issue.
Sponsored