Sponsored

Check engine light and codes after oil pump/crank gear replacement

MisterNitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
So, I decided to change my own oil pump gears for my forthcomng Hellion kit thats sitting in my living room. Took my time and did everything by the Ford recommendations as well as guideance from several posts in the forum.
Got it back together and seemed fine for a few mintues into the first drive then the check engine light came on, subsequent miss/rough idle. Pulled the codes and its throwing p0018 and p0300.

Only thing different so far from before is I put the 6510 NGKS in it gapped at .020 per Hellion specs as the kit was going on soon.

I dont have a ton of experience on coyotes as this is my first one. Did I possibly get it out of time? Where should I start in trying to rectify this? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
Being as it has a crank/cam correlation code (P0018) as well as a random miss code, I am highly suspect of the cam timing being 100% correct. It would be pretty easy to verify the timing with a scan tool that can display the desired cam position vs. actual cam position on that bank. If you do not have access to one, I would want to see manual compression readings on bank 1 vs bank 2, which will help indicate a timing issue as well.

Can you elaborate on what procedure you used to time the motor? If I recall the '15+ has a different procedure than the '11-14's.

*Edit* - Timing procedure appears to be the same, as long as you lined up the colored links with the proper marks, should be good to go.

OP
OP

MisterNitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Thanks for the re
Being as it has a crank/cam correlation code (P0018) as well as a random miss code, I am highly suspect of the cam timing being 100% correct. It would be pretty easy to verify the timing with a scan tool that can display the desired cam position vs. actual cam position on that bank. If you do not have access to one, I would want to see manual compression readings on bank 1 vs bank 2, which will help indicate a timing issue as well.

Can you elaborate on what procedure you used to time the motor? If I recall the '15+ has a different procedure than the '11-14's.

*Edit* - Timing procedure appears to be the same, as long as you lined up the colored links with the proper marks, should be good to go.

Thanks for the reply. I went off the instructions on the Ford service page for the disassembly and reassembly. Lining up the blue links on the cam gear/crank gear and having the keyway at the right positions 12/5 etc etc.
In regards to the scan tool you mentioned, is this some type of hardware that the dealer would have or is it something that can be done with a normal obd 2 reader? Appreciate the assistance.

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea it's pretty simple.....line up the marks on the cam gears with the link on the chain and chain to crank sprocket. I usually identify and mark them in paint marker, as well as the cam and crank timing marks before assembly, and then always double check my work. A competent dealer will have no issue verifying the timing via OEM scan tool, as yes we do have the ability. As far as aftermarket scanners, not sure there but I would think some higher end ones should be able to identify the proper PID's for this.

I suppose it is also possible that during reassembly the VCT actuation pin may not have been lined up with the pin on the VCT unit, so that may be worth checking out as well. Either way, in this situation, it's always best to retrace your work......even if it involves pulling the timing cover again, in my opinion.

OP
OP

MisterNitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Yea it's pretty simple.....line up the marks on the cam gears with the link on the chain and chain to crank sprocket. I usually identify and mark them in paint marker, as well as the cam and crank timing marks before assembly, and then always double check my work. A competent dealer will have no issue verifying the timing via OEM scan tool, as yes we do have the ability. As far as aftermarket scanners, not sure there but I would think some higher end ones should be able to identify the proper PID's for this.

I suppose it is also possible that during reassembly the VCT actuation pin may not have been lined up with the pin on the VCT unit, so that may be worth checking out as well. Either way, in this situation, it's always best to retrace your work......even if it involves pulling the timing cover again, in my opinion.
Thanks alot for the info. I guess ill start and see if the dealer can check the timing and go from there. Not real excited about taking it all apart and doing it again but thats cars sometimes. Ill double check all sensor connectors etc as well and see if there is anything off with them. I did spill a touch of oil in the vct sensor lead next to the fill when filling but tried to get it all out. Is this something to look further at as well in your opinon? Do you think having the colder plugs in there gapped to .020 could be contributing as well? Thanks again

Sponsored

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would certainly clean out the cam sensor lead to start, I have seen instances where engine fluids being in electrical connectors is conductive enough to cross the pins. A little brake clean and air should suffice to get that clean enough.

I just don't see how plugs could cause a cam timing code, the missfire code perhaps, but in this instance i'm pretty confident the missfire code is related to the cam/timing concern as it is a random miss code and not cylinder specific.

Really it comes down to two possibilities. Either that bank truly is out of time, or it's an issue with the cam sensor's position signal to the PCM. Being as you have a random miss DTC present, and the fact this happened after servicing the timing system, as a tech I would have to really lean towards being a tooth or two off on the timing marks....if the VCT actuation pin was lined up/ect on the cam phaser on that bank during assembly.

I personally would not worry about taking it to the dealer, yea it's a lot of work to go back and re-check everything, but you're going to be out some $$ if the dealer determines it was timed wrong, as that's not going to be covered by any type of warranty.

But, really all of this is a guess without having anything right in front of me....

Just go back and re-check all your work, starting with the easiest things to access first, electrical plugs/ect.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Thanks for the re

Thanks for the reply. I went off the instructions on the Ford service page for the disassembly and reassembly. Lining up the blue links on the cam gear/crank gear and having the keyway at the right positions 12/5 etc etc.
In regards to the scan tool you mentioned, is this some type of hardware that the dealer would have or is it something that can be done with a normal obd 2 reader? Appreciate the assistance.
After you put the first chain on, did you turn the motor over 360, then turn it to 5 or did you just put it to 5. The full rotation, then to 5 is the part everyone seems to miss.

RYAN97812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
^^^^^ what he said. So many people don't follow that step, it confusing for guys that aren't doing this daily

OP
OP

MisterNitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Hey guys, thanks for the info. Yep, i rotated it 360 and then went to 5 o clock just like Ford recommends.

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I got mine off one tooth on one chain when I did the install. I can't remember what code it threw but it did it after two starts when I cleared the code. I also looked at cam timing in previous logs to verify it was off. If you don't take a picture or get down and look at the marks on the bottom gear the angle of view from above will throw you off a tooth.

Sponsored
OP
OP

MisterNitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I got mine off one tooth on one chain when I did the install. I can't remember what code it threw but it did it after two starts when I cleared the code. I also looked at cam timing in previous logs to verify it was off. If you don't take a picture or get down and look at the marks on the bottom gear the angle of view from above will throw you off a tooth.
I dont have any logs of any sort to compare it to sadly. I did get down and look at the marks which is why its baffling. Anyway, im going to get it to the dealer today and they can look at the timing and all other stuff on the machine..

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
If you have a SCT you can log the cams without going to the dealer. I doubt they will know enough to diagnose it anyway.

OP
OP

MisterNitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
If you have a SCT you can log the cams without going to the dealer. I doubt they will know enough to diagnose it anyway.
I have an Ngauge so that isnt possible. A friends brother is a tech there and I talked to him about it. Just dropped it off a few min ago and he will put it on the machine. Hope its not the timing cause I dont wanna take it apart again hahaha

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
have you done a crank relearn?

OP
OP

MisterNitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
have you done a crank relearn?
I have not but some techs i talked to says they dont think this will do anything. Guess ill find out what Ford says and go from there. Prob should have tried the relearn on my own beforehand, oh well
Sponsored