Sponsored

Check engine light and codes after oil pump/crank gear replacement

Mustanggt5.02011

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GTCS
If you have anyone with an X4 or SCT device you need to do a crank relearn. Anytime the crank sensor is disconnected you MUST do a crank relearn. That will fix your issue with codes and misfires.
Sponsored

Manny231988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 2013 GT500
I performed this 2 weeks ago and I was kinda scared also I double checked my work several times because you can easily install the chain at the crank gear off one tooth because the angle of the mark deceives you, I didn’t have to perform any crank relearn on my 17, I followed the procedure from a member on svt Blazer think is part of his username he works for a dealer hopefully it’s not out of time cuz getting all that shit back off would suck

OP
OP

MisterNitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Yeah, i didnt disconnect the crank position sensor so not sure a crank relearn will help in this case. Waiting on a call from the person running the diagnostic to see what sort of prize ive won lol

OP
OP

MisterNitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Verdict is I apparently screwed up timing the car as bank 2 intake and bank 1 exhaust is off. I dont really get it as i followed the instructions per Ford but I guess I have to tear it back apart again when I can find a place to do it. Thanks to everyone for their insight. Really hoping it was something simple as this twin turbo kit is getting in my way lol

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Gen 2 timing procedure is different than gen 1. Blazers instructions on svt are for gen 1.

Sponsored

Manny231988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 2013 GT500
Gen 2 timing procedure is different than gen 1. Blazers instructions on svt are for gen 1.
Haha well I followed that one and my cars been running perfectly for a month, main thing I see on this procedure is installing the chains that are marked exactly on the teeth on the sprockets that are marked, I marked the chain and cam sprocket and then at the crank for both banks.

OP
OP

MisterNitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Haha well I followed that one and my cars been running perfectly for a month, main thing I see on this procedure is installing the chains that are marked exactly on the teeth on the sprockets that are marked, I marked the chain and cam sprocket and then at the crank for both banks.
I didnt mark them but i got down under the car and checked the crank sprocket etc. I still dont understand how i got it wrong but here we are. Another fun day ahead of me..

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
Were you able to teardown and verify the timing was incorrect?

OP
OP

MisterNitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Were you able to teardown and verify the timing was incorrect?
Had Ford put it on the machine and verify that the timing was indeed off. Then i tore it apart and redid it and it was working fine. Followed the exact same procedure, dunno what happened the first time.

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Glad you got it straightened out. So easy to be off a tooth.

OP
OP

MisterNitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Glad you got it straightened out. So easy to be off a tooth.
Yeah, def seems so. Problem is once you move them you cant verify timing is right. Glad i got it done anyway. Car is up and running now after the twin turbo install I did as of today. Need to fix an oil leak from the valve cover and do some datalogging and it will be all done. hopefully high 9s for a daily, not too shabby!

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
Awesome! Glad we had the diag spot on, and you are up and running again. It's easy to be off 1/2 to 1 tooth on the crank sprocket, and you are correct, once you run it over the only way to verify the marks line up again is to either keep running it over until they line back up (takes a large amount of revolutions to do so), or start the timing procedure all over again. I usually use a bright paint marker to highlight all timing marks during teardown personally. Keep us updated with the turbo kit times once you get all up and running!

OP
OP

MisterNitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Awesome! Glad we had the diag spot on, and you are up and running again. It's easy to be off 1/2 to 1 tooth on the crank sprocket, and you are correct, once you run it over the only way to verify the marks line up again is to either keep running it over until they line back up (takes a large amount of revolutions to do so), or start the timing procedure all over again. I usually use a bright paint marker to highlight all timing marks during teardown personally. Keep us updated with the turbo kit times once you get all up and running!
Thanks again for the help, will do!

droidman86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yeah, def seems so. Problem is once you move them you cant verify timing is right. Glad i got it done anyway. Car is up and running now after the twin turbo install I did as of today. Need to fix an oil leak from the valve cover and do some datalogging and it will be all done. hopefully high 9s for a daily, not too shabby!
Same thing happened to me. Same codes. I didn't turn it 360 and just turned it from 5 to 12 for the second chain.

Am I supposed to just do it again OR do I have to rectify the mistake and then do it?
Sponsored