Sponsored

CHEAP? Rear decklid plastic where the GT emblem sits?

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Hey guys,

What's up w the cheap black plastic decklid cover where the GT is located? So many scratches in short amount of time and no wax can fix it.. have car since 3/25/2021 and it looks all beat up already. What gives??

Thanks Anthony
Sponsored

Five_OhGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Mustang GT Premium/'13 Ford Focus ST ST3
Vehicle Showcase
It's always been that way on the S550 decklid panel. They sell aftermarket options for around $100 if they get really bad. I bought a blank decklid panel from MP Concepts because I didn't want the GT badge for $100 off American Muscle. It still scratches but for only $100 you can't go wrong.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Such is the curse of gloss/piano black plastic. Part of the issue is that heat will soften it and make scratches easier. Avoid trying to clean it in direct sunlight or cool it off first with some water.

Good wash etiquette also helps, things like 2 bucket method and using high quality microfibers to wipe it. It's ultimately a losing battle though. It's easy and cheap to replace if it gets too bad.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
It's a Domestic Pony car. They are cheap LOL.....

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I managed to get most of the surface scratches out of mine with a 2" foam polishing pad on a 12mm throw mini-DA polisher and some sonax perfect finish. But keeping the scratches off is very difficult for sure. Like ice445 said, a good wash method and supplies is helpful as most of the damage happens during wash. (assuming the panel isnt being constantly touched otherwise)

And maybe you didn't mean this so forgive me if you didn't but wax is not designed to remove scratches. I may temporarily fill them but it isnt going to remove them. Wax is designed to protect an already corrected surface. You have to use a fine polish to remove the scratches on this panel.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I managed to get most of the surface scratches out of mine with a 2" foam polishing pad on a 12mm throw mini-DA polisher and some sonax perfect finish. But keeping the scratches off is very difficult for sure. Like ice445 said, a good wash method and supplies is helpful as most of the damage happens during wash. (assuming the panel isnt being constantly touched otherwise)
Do this and then get it ceramic coated. Mine is two years old and still perfect.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Do this and then get it ceramic coated. Mine is two years old and still perfect.
Yah, absolutely! I did the correction I mentioned previously on my 18 but I just got my 20 and its destroyed. I just finished a correction/UK 3.0/Gliss on the paint and that panel is next. 😁

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Hey guys,

What's up w the cheap black plastic decklid cover where the GT is located? So many scratches in short amount of time and no wax can fix it.. have car since 3/25/2021 and it looks all beat up already. What gives??

Thanks Anthony
As if they couldn't get any better, they also have a tendency to crack around the GT for some reason. I've already had mine replaced under warranty. The newer one is a scratch magnet. I may go with a carbon fiber blank from Anderson

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hey guys,

Thanks Anthony
Here ya go, I had written up this DIY a while back for how to remove the scratches:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/trunk-lid-appliqué-scratch-repair-diy.122441/#post-2641817

Ford must have changed suppliers with the 2018+, because the material is much softer and more susceptible to scratches than the 2015-2017 panels.

Sponsored

Elvis67

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19gt ..19 ss 72 chevelle
They are cheap enough..I change mine out about as much as I change my tires.Such a hard area to keep clean, it's easier to just have one with no emblem.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
They are cheap enough..I change mine out about as much as I change my tires.Such a hard area to keep clean, it's easier to just have one with no emblem.
Yeah, I have to use one of those detail brushes to clean out between the emblem gaps. Nothing else really works.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I must have gotten a unicorn version, mine is 5yrs old (2016) and I wash it ALOT (its my therapy) and it has narry a scratch.
As others have said good wash practices go a LONG way - two bucket wash, pre-spray, pre-soak, etc etc.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I must have gotten a unicorn version, mine is 5yrs old (2016) and I wash it ALOT (its my therapy) and it has narry a scratch.
As others have said good wash practices go a LONG way - two bucket wash, pre-spray, pre-soak, etc etc.
I think the other person who said the quality declined after 2017 is correct. Mine was in great shape for about a year, and then it seems like it took a shit out of nowhere. I don't know when though. I practice the correct methods, although sometimes I'll use quick detailer which I've never had problems with before. I probably made the mistake of wiping it down after it had sat in the sun for a while or something similar. It only takes one or two mistakes to ruin it. I don't really care that much though, for a car driven regularly I'm satisfied with 90%. The other 10% will drive you up the wall.
Sponsored