panhandler62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
My wipers chatter when there is just a small amount of water on the windshield. If it's dry they don't chatter and they don't do it in heavy rain... just when the glass is "samp" or just has a few droplets.

This persisted after changing them, so it's not just a bad set of refills.

Has anyone else encountered this and, if so, were you able to correct it?
Sponsored

MetalCord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My wipers chatter when there is just a small amount of water on the windshield. If it's dry they don't chatter and they don't do it in heavy rain... just when the glass is "samp" or just has a few droplets.

This persisted after changing them, so it's not just a bad set of refills.

Has anyone else encountered this and, if so, were you able to correct it?
My wipers chattered in all conditions from day 1 of ownership. That only thing that stopped the chattering was a very thorough cleaning of the blades. I use diluted baby shampoo to clean my glass and wipers.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I've been fighting chattering wipers for decades with many cars and brands. Usually, if not always, the root cause it that the thin flexible edge of the blade which contacts the glass doesn't "flip" and therefore "pushes" instead of "drags" when the wiper moves "up" away from the hood. The problem tends to be worse in colder weather since the rubber is stiffer. Also anything which makes the windshield more slippery such as rainex or maybe car wash spray wax (I don't do that so I'm guessing on the spray wax).

Try cleaning the windshield and blades with soap, shampoo, etc. as suggested. Some blades recommend rubbing alcohol for periodic blade cleaning. Try buying refills from high volume stores where stock may be fresher and the rubber more flexible. Also staying with blades that are similar (i.e. not fancy expensive ones) to oem for the car seems to help with our 97 GT may help. Finally check to make sure the blade sits properly on the windshield.

FYI I've never had the problem with new Mustangs . . . but all 7 of mine have been special orders so they haven't spent time sitting in the sun or getting sprayed with who knows what on the dealer's lot.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I use Rain-X on a regular basis. It doesn't last that long, but by regular applications, it will help aging wiper blades last longer.

CVCAshmere

Fleco17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josr
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt
Clean the wipers with rubbing alcohol and cotton ball. It helps recondition the rubber.
Sponsored