Chasing Rattle

ChrisG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Hello everyone, I need some help. I have a 2019 GT 301A with just over 2000 miles and the rattle inside, coming from the drivers side pedal/dash/lower door is driving me insane to the point I want to burn the car. I’ve already taken apart both door panels (since the passenger door was rattling too, might as well) and felt taped all the white clips, secured everything, and it persists. I checked the side skirt, fender liner, kick panel with the hood release, headlight switch, audio control module, pulled the carpet back... what am I missing. I found a video of the exact same rattle I have online but can’t figure out how to post it here. Literally any advice will help me. Taking it to the dealership is my next step but I’m worried they’ll just laugh and say get over it. It happens at all speeds 3mph to 80+, oddly only after driving 5 miles or so... never right on start up. There is no getting over it lol. Thank you :facepalm:

EDIT: figured out how to add a video. This is extremely similar to what I am chasing.
Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
You sure it's in the door or at the lower end of the car? The A-pillars in these things are notorious for their rattles. A good way to check is when it's rattling all the time, start punching random parts of the inside of the car to see if it stops for a second or changes the rattle. That's likely going to be an easier method of pinpointing it rather than guessing where it's coming from just by listening while driving.

Is it speed-dependent? Or is it constant through the speed range?

Also, has it been like this since you got the car, or has it just started happening? If it's happening only after driving a number of miles, the inside of the car is warming up, expanding a bit, and it starts rattling. Make sure if you take it to the dealership that you can get them to come for a drive right as you show up because if they have the car and take it out at some random point of the day, they'll drive it 2 miles, won't hear it, and think you crazy.

OP
OP

ChrisG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
You sure it's in the door or at the lower end of the car? The A-pillars in these things are notorious for their rattles. A good way to check is when it's rattling all the time, start punching random parts of the inside of the car to see if it stops for a second or changes the rattle. That's likely going to be an easier method of pinpointing it rather than guessing where it's coming from just by listening while driving.

Is it speed-dependent? Or is it constant through the speed range?

Also, has it been like this since you got the car, or has it just started happening? If it's happening only after driving a number of miles, the inside of the car is warming up, expanding a bit, and it starts rattling. Make sure if you take it to the dealership that you can get them to come for a drive right as you show up because if they have the car and take it out at some random point of the day, they'll drive it 2 miles, won't hear it, and think you crazy.
I’m almost certain it can’t be in the door at this point as I’ve checked everything in there, the upper and lower speakers are solid, the metal retaining clamps that hold the door panel are tight (plus have felt tape behind them now, so no metal to metal contact), went in and double checked all the screws that are accessible that hold the window tracks in place, all tight as well.

I’ve tried pressing on numerous panels trying to get it to stop but can’t find a sweet spot anywhere :frown: and once it’s starts it’s constant through the speed range. It really sucks because when I got this car back in September it didn’t make a single noise... except the exhaust lol

Dig-It

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
GT500KR (0758), GT500 (N2617), GT500 (N3432)
I had a similar issue in the passenger side of my ‘19 Bullitt. Turned out to be the seat control panel on the side of the base of the seat rattling against the plastic seat valance that runs down the entire length of the seat base. Drove me crazy. A small bit of rubber gasket between the two has solved that issue for me.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

OP
OP

ChrisG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
I had a similar issue in the passenger side of my ‘19 Bullitt. Turned out to be the seat control panel on the side of the base of the seat rattling against the plastic seat valance that runs down the entire length of the seat base. Drove me crazy. A small bit of rubber gasket between the two has solved that issue for me.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Interesting, I didn’t think of checking that plastic part of the seat. How hard was that piece to remove? I’ll have to check that part next along with the A pillar trim

Sponsored

Dig-It

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Didn’t remove any pieces. Isolated the two plastic pieces by placing some small rubber material in between them.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
Did you check the trim piece below the drivers air vent that surrounds the headlight switch and covers that side of the dash?
On my PP2, this piece makes a "buzzing rattle" sound now and then on asphalt with a rougher surface combined with more aggressive driving.
Not consistent and not often enough that it bothers me. I just notice it occasionally.
Best of luck-

OP
OP

ChrisG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Didn’t remove any pieces. Isolated the two plastic pieces by placing some small rubber material in between them.
It’s the piece on the side of the seat with the seat adjustment buttons, correct?

Did you check the trim piece below the drivers air vent that surrounds the headlight switch and covers that side of the dash?
On my PP2, this piece makes a "buzzing rattle" sound now and then on asphalt with a rougher surface combined with more aggressive driving.
Not consistent and not often enough that it bothers me. I just notice it occasionally.
Yup, checked that too and even drove without that trim piece in for a bit to verify, as I know that particular piece is well known to rattle in these cars

Dig-It

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
It’s the piece on the side of the seat with the seat adjustment buttons, correct?
Yes. That piece would rattle against the larger valance piece that covers the side of the seat base. I put a thin piece of black rubber gasket material between them.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ChrisG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Yes. That piece would rattle against the larger valance piece that covers the side of the seat base. I put a thin piece of black rubber gasket material between them.
I will definitely look into this. Either it will fix the issue or we can rule it out!

Good luck, Chris. Rattles are a PITA.
Thank you, yes they are. At least my doors are super silent now since I felt taped every single clip in them lol. Might as well keep going piece by piece until I eliminate the main issue

OP
OP

ChrisG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
So I went out this morning to check a couple things and it turns out when I bang on the upper portion of the drivers seat, the control panel portion of the seat does give out a rattle/vibration. When I beat on the passenger seat, it was solid. I pressed on the actual button part of the seat and this is not the part that is loose, something is loose behind the panel that runs along the length of the seat itself, near the front. Anybody have any clue how to pop this panel off? I see a torx screw up front, will attempt removal tomorrow when it will be a little warmer. I also tapped on the A pillar and it is issuing a vibration but nowhere near as pronounced as the seat is. I’ll attempt to fix the seat first and then move to the A pillar :fingerscrossed: Fingers crossed that one of these is the issue. If not, I have a strong feeling I’ll be searching underneath the car again
D1AAE1FE-7CDB-41F1-84C5-BE26D1E405AA.jpeg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The A-Pillar rattle:
1) The tweeter grilles will rattle. Pop the tweeter grilles off, use a dab of clear (or black) RTV silicone around the edge of the tweeter opening in A-pillar and replace grille. You can also cut a very thin piece of felt tape and line the circumference of the tweeter hole, then replace the grille cover.

2) The airbag and harnesses begins the A-Pillar will rattle. Solve by cutting felt tape and placing it over the harnesses, between the airbag and metal A-pillar post and line back side of the A-pillar plastic.

———

As far as the plastic area of the seat base - it’s possible there is a harness behind it that is rattling. I think the easiest fix would be to unbolt the seat from the floor, take it out and position it so you can see exactly what’s rattling when you tap on it.

———
Another source of frontal interior rattle is the headliner air bags located between the headliner and roof. These are positioned directly above the door glass where the headliner is concave. Again you can place felt tape or rubber behind the airbag assembly and sheet metal to absorb any rattles.

OP
OP

ChrisG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
I want to give a major thanks to anybody that has replied and helped me so far. I’d like to report that I believe I have found the source of this rattle! And to anybody that has a similar rattle and is going nuts trying to pinpoint it, it sounds crazy, but check the weatherstripping. It sounds like the plastic trim behind it is loose. I will be pulling the weatherstripping and figuring out a fix from there.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I want to give a major thanks to anybody that has replied and helped me so far. I’d like to report that I believe I have found the source of this rattle! And to anybody that has a similar rattle and is going nuts trying to pinpoint it, it sounds crazy, but check the weatherstripping. It sounds like the plastic trim behind it is loose. I will be pulling the weatherstripping and figuring out a fix from there.
Please post when you get it sorted!
Sponsored