Sponsored

Centrifugals and Low End Torque

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Also worth keeping in mind that the Centrifugal setups use a more traditional air-to-air front mount intercooler rather than a chargecooled water-to-air setup like a PD which sits between the supercharger and the lower intake manifold. As a result, the centrifugals don't heatsoak as badly or as quickly.

In any case, see below a 2018 GT stage 2 procharger P1X on 93 making 11.28-12.34 PSI vs. a 2018 GT stage whipple on 94 making about 10 PSI.

Please try to ignore the ultimate power and torque figures given these were different cars and different dynos despite both being essentially stock minus an H/X pipe. Focus on the torque curves to see the difference in power delivery.

Procharger P1X Stage 2

Run320171118.JPEG

Whipple Stage 2

Dyno Sheet.jpg
Anyone else notice the torque curves basically identical with the pd starting at 3,500 or so?...?
Sponsored

Evolution IX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I love my Whipple, but part of me wishes I went with a Paxton or a Procharger. Far easier to install, less heat soak and I like the progressive boost idea.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
If your worried about that seat of the pants torque feeling OP. Ad a converter in the mix. There is no bad way to boost a coyote.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else notice the torque curves basically identical with the pd starting at 3,500 or so?...?
I did :inspect:
But I also noticed that there’s something funky going on with the Whipple car.
The shape of the curves on that chart aren’t consistent with typical results.
But then again, using a twin-screw as an example of PD blower bottom-end is similar to using Caitlyn Jenner as an example of a woman. :bow:
(I’ll go crawl back under my rock now)

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
Both cars still had factory headers and cats, plus that Whipple was the standard 93 octane Whipple tune. I believe the Whipple tune pulls timing up top for safety.

Anyway, the centrifugal keeps making power and would likely make a little more if revved out to 7800-8000 RPM.

Sponsored

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
revinto7,

Truly sorry to hear about your GF. I could not imagine loosing my wife.

Caitlin Jenner - probably still trying figure whether to blow or suck, as in supercharged or N/A of course :crazy:

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Both cars still had factory headers and cats, plus that Whipple was the standard 93 octane Whipple tune. I believe the Whipple tune pulls timing up top for safety.

Anyway, the centrifugal keeps making power and would likely make a little more if revved out to 7800-8000 RPM.
And why does Whipple pull timing up top? Because the massive heat load from the intercooler that can't keep up with the terrible inefficiency.

Man you can't say that!!!!!
Blasphemy right?! PD "torque for daily driving" guys falling off their chairs right now.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
And why does Whipple pull timing up top? Because the massive heat load from the intercooler that can't keep up with the terrible inefficiency.

Blasphemy right?! PD "torque for daily driving" guys falling off their chairs right now.
I guess folks like hossing the gas at 2k rpm to smoke their p zeros. I'm not.

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Smoke their rods, bearings, and pistons maybe. Sooooooooo much load at that low rpm. But But But my shit blew up and I have no idea why:crying:

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
@schmeky

I've basically been through 3 stages now in my car: Bolt ons, Centri, and Turbo (still new to me)

To answer your question, when I went from NA to the Paxton, I didn't feel a difference in pick up from idle to about 4k rpm. It felt pretty much exactly the same (maybe the slightest bit lazier but honestly pretty unnoticeable). E85 will fix that quickly if it's an issue.

Now I have to mention, while the Paxton was fun (I ended up running it around 13-14 psi most of it's life), the Turbos are entirely different.

The car also feels pretty lazy under 3.5k rpm, but dear god do they hit substantially harder than the Paxton did (even on gate which is like 7 psi). Obviously the car doesn't pull as hard as the Paxton did up top since I'm running a good bit less boost but it's definitely more of a rush on the hit.

Bottom line: if you really have to have good pick up below 4k rpm, then a centri won't be as effective as a PD blower. But when you race, guarantee you wouldn't notice a difference between the PD blower and centri blower. They'll both get that good ol' heart rate up just the same.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
Yes, well that's what 99% of people do. They pootle around from idle to 2500 RPM, shift, and only do a full 3rd gear pull on the motorway. Off the motorway they're in 4th with revs at 1800 RPM and bury the accelerator up to 3500 RPM, feel the rush of torque, smile and they're done.

If 99% of people actually used the performance of their car in Mexico, on a drag strip or a circuit then a centrifugal would do just as well and heatsoak less.

Last edited:

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
@schmeky

I've basically been through 3 stages now in my car: Bolt ons, Centri, and Turbo (still new to me)

To answer your question, when I went from NA to the Paxton, I didn't feel a difference in pick up from idle to about 4k rpm. It felt pretty much exactly the same (maybe the slightest bit lazier but honestly pretty unnoticeable). E85 will fix that quickly if it's an issue.

Now I have to mention, while the Paxton was fun (I ended up running it around 13-14 psi most of it's life), the Turbos are entirely different.

The car also feels pretty lazy under 3.5k rpm, but dear god do they hit substantially harder than the Paxton did (even on gate which is like 7 psi). Obviously the car doesn't pull as hard as the Paxton did up top since I'm running a good bit less boost but it's definitely more of a rush on the hit.

Bottom line: if you really have to have good pick up below 4k rpm, then a centri won't be as effective as a PD blower. But when you race, guarantee you wouldn't notice a difference between the PD blower and centri blower. They'll both get that good ol' heart rate up just the same.
This is true but turbos require a hell of a lot of work to fit, and have zero hope in passing any emissions due to the change in the exhaust design. I'd rather buy the Procharger over a Paxton or any PD blower. It's a relatively simple bolt-on install that requires no cutting or relocating anything.
Sponsored