Sponsored

CEL and been at the dealership for a month

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I definitely wouldn’t be happy with just a short block replacement. I’m at 24k miles but In Louisiana I believe you can use lemon law as long as it’s under warranty. I did purchase the car in Texas but it’s titled here and I had to pay Louisiana tax on it so I’m not sure about what states lemon law applies. If it’s texas law I’m over on mileage.
The Lemon Law applies to the vehicle in the State where it is registered, tagged and titled.

If you are in Louisiana and contemplating doing a Buy Back I’d defintley research your Lemon Law there to be 100% certain you have not exceeded the mileage limitation.

The only reason I say that is because some State Lemon Laws stipulate that a filing has to be done within 24k miles and under 2 years old (whichever comes first).
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I contacted the Ford CSR as well but all they told me was my short block replacement should be done by hopefully Friday, next Wednesday at the latest. I told them if it’s not done by Friday then it’ll have been 30 days out of service and I will want to lemon law it. The CSR assistant (to the manager) said they could definitely do a good faith review but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll get approved? And then she said they’ll contact by Nov. 1 and do the review then. Anyone know what my steps are if I want a buyback and they don’t finish the repairs by Friday? My car is at 17,150 miles so very close to the limit.
The CSR is a doltz - because if you’re about to hit the 30 day inop period where the car has been at the Service Center all those days - you definitely qualify for Lemon Law relief.

If I were you, I’d call the Ford 800# back tomorrow and request to speak to a Supervisor. When you get that Supervisor on the phone, you relay the fact that you have been extremely patient, you’re extremely dissatisfied with the product, you’re paying on a car you can’t drive and it’s now been 30 days down for repair. Also mention you will not hesitate to go public on Ford’s Social Media sites with the complaint and you are demanding a Buy Back (if that is how you wish to proceed).

OP
OP
BW5.0

BW5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
The Lemon Law applies to the vehicle in the State where it is registered, tagged and titled.

If you are in Louisiana and contemplating doing a Buy Back I’d defintley research your Lemon Law there to be 100% certain you have not exceeded the mileage limitation.

The only reason I say that is because some State Lemon Laws stipulate that a filing has to be done within 24k miles and under 2 years old (whichever comes first).
Louisiana lemon law states
  • It has undergone repairs with at least 4 attempts to repair the same issue within 1 year of the original vehicle delivery (or during the warranty period).
    OR
  • It has been out of service for at least 45 days during the same period.
Car is still under warranty so it looks like I’m good. Maybe someone from Louisiana that’s been through this can chime in.

udcvsean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The CSR is a doltz - because if you’re about to hit the 30 day inop period where the car has been at the Service Center all those days - you definitely qualify for Lemon Law relief.

If I were you, I’d call the Ford 800# back tomorrow and request to speak to a Supervisor. When you get that Supervisor on the phone, you relay the fact that you have been extremely patient, you’re extremely dissatisfied with the product, you’re paying on a car you can’t drive and it’s now been 30 days down for repair. Also mention you will not hesitate to go public on Ford’s Social Media sites with the complaint and you are demanding a Buy Back (if that is how you wish to proceed).
Thanks for the advice. However tomorrow is only day 28 since I dropped the car off on 9/27. Can I still demand a Buy Back if it hasn’t been 30 days yet? Basically if they tell me the car is ready for pickup on Friday the 26th does that mean I’m SOL on the lemon law?

OP
OP
BW5.0

BW5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
Just spoke to the regional manager and he informed me that I can’t do a buy back because the car was purchased in Texas. Even though it was titled in Louisiana and I paid Louisiana tax I still have to go by Texas lemon law. He pretty much told me that this can drag on forever until they find the cause of the problems. He said he would try to get ford to make my car payments but when I told him I paid cash he said well nothing we can really offer you. I’m definitely going to get screwed! My second and last mustang for sure!

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the advice. However tomorrow is only day 28 since I dropped the car off on 9/27. Can I still demand a Buy Back if it hasn’t been 30 days yet? Basically if they tell me the car is ready for pickup on Friday the 26th does that mean I’m SOL on the lemon law?
A Ford Buy Back can be requested by the vehcile owner IF the attempted Warranty Repairs have not been satisfactory and the issue still exists OR if the car has been at the Ford Service Center for an extended period of time(ie: not in your possession). You do not need to wait for 30 days.

Just spoke to the regional manager and he informed me that I can’t do a buy back because the car was purchased in Texas. Even though it was titled in Louisiana and I paid Louisiana tax I still have to go by Texas lemon law. He pretty much told me that this can drag on forever until they find the cause of the problems. He said he would try to get ford to make my car payments but when I told him I paid cash he said well nothing we can really offer you. I’m definitely going to get screwed! My second and last mustang for sure!
Regional Mgr at the Dealership? Don’t rely on their “knowledge”, as many of them unfortunately don’t know the Ford Buy Back procedures or process nor are they up on State or Local Laws regarding Lemons. He’s attempting to quell your disatisfaction and anger by making such a gesture.

In the Ford 800# thread I posted in this same sub forum, in those images from the actual Mustang owners manual pertaining to Customer Complaints, BBB filing and other related info - there’s nothing stated anywhere that if the vehicle is bought in State A and is titled/registered in State B it does not qualify for a Buy Back. That doesn’t make any sense... because it’s like saying, well, you bought the car in TX, but can’t have it serviced anywhere else except that same selling Dealer in TX.

You need to call the Ford 800# and get things rolling, don’t delay any further.

The Ford Service Centers make money on warranty repairs...don’t let anyone tell you otherwise...So your warranty repair is good $$$ for them and they probably don’t want to lose that work if you go through the Buy Back.

Also, the Dealership cannot get you car payment reimbursement. Having a Case opened with Ford, the Ford CSR will review the repair order plus how long the car has been at the Ford Service Center. The CSR can then make a determination out of courtesy to refund the Customer a car payment if the vehicle has been down for 3-4 weeks. Again, this is a courtesy tactic that Ford uses to keep the Customer calm in hopes of retaining them as a customer and also to prevent the customer from hitting up Socila Media with the extent of their problem.

You can tell that CSR that you either want a Ford Buy Back vehcile replacement, or you want your purchase price refunded and you walk away from Ford.

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
A Ford Buy Back can be requested by the vehcile owner IF the attempted Warranty Repairs have not been satisfactory and the issue still exists OR if the car has been at the Ford Service Center for an extended period of time(ie: not in your possession). You do not need to wait for 30 days.

Regional Mgr at the Dealership? Don’t rely on their “knowledge”, as many of them unfortunately don’t know the Ford Buy Back procedures or process nor are they up on State or Local Laws regarding Lemons. He’s attempting to quell your disatisfaction and anger by making such a gesture.

In the Ford 800# thread I posted in this same sub forum, in those images from the actual Mustang owners manual pertaining to Customer Complaints, BBB filing and other related info - there’s nothing stated anywhere that if the vehicle is bought in State A and is titled/registered in State B it does not qualify for a Buy Back. That doesn’t make any sense... because it’s like saying, well, you bought the car in TX, but can’t have it serviced anywhere else except that same selling Dealer in TX.

The Ford Service Centers make money on warranty repairs...don’t let anyone tell you otherwise...So your warranty repair is good $$$ for them and they probably don’t want to lose that work if you go through the Buy Back.

Also, the Dealership cannot get you car payment reimbursement. Having a Case opened with Ford, the Ford CSR will review the repair order plus how long the car has been at the Ford Service Center. The CSR can then make a determination out of courtesy to refund the Customer a car payment if the vehicle has been down for 3-4 weeks. Again, this is a courtesy tactic that Ford uses to keep the Customer calm in hopes of retaining them as a customer and also to prevent the customer from hitting up Socila Media with the extent of their problem.

You can tell that CSR that you either want a Ford Buy Back vehcile replacement, or you want your purchase price refunded and you walk away from Ford.
Super informative. Do you have dealer experience?

OP
OP
BW5.0

BW5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT

Unfortunately Louisiana lemon law states that the car must be purchased in Louisiana for Louisiana lemon law to apply. The CSR was really no help and didn’t seem the least bit concerned. Brought my car in with a CEL lean bank 1. Since they have messed with it the engine is misfiring on entire bank1 and engine is making a grinding noise.

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
Roush and ford performance are still mods. Just to clarify for the 100th time. If an engine issue arose Ford could still deny warranty work. Roush or Ford performance only warranty their parts, not the rest of the car. And yes Ford performance is not the same thing as Ford vehicles. You don’t “keep your warranty”. It is supplemental on those parts only.
This isn't really correct. I am a lawyer and I bought the Ford Performance Power Pack II because of the warranty and the CAFE certification. I read the warranty carefully. At the time I bought mine, the warranty read: "The Ford Motor Company [address] provides a Limited Warranty on select Ford Performance Racing Parts and mountune Performance Parts as described herein..." That is the Ford Motor Company, not Ford Performance providing the warranty. That is a very important legal distinction if you ever have to go to court. If it had been a Ford Performance warranty, I wouldn't have bought the tune. And yes, I have had serious problems with the car and Ford put in a new engine. The new engine also had problems and they stood behind it. Having said that, the downtime on these fixes was very long - about 3 months on the engine, and, yes, a lot of that was spent waiting for Ford Performance (who administers the warranty for Ford) to get back to the dealership with instructions. I mention this not to take you to task, but there is a lot of misinformation about what are really legal matters in these forums and it is not helpful to people who have problems.

Regards,
<TED>

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP:
I guess that Louisiana is an exception State regarding the Facts posted that the vehicle absolutely had to have been purchased in that State to initiate a Buy Back or Lemon Claim. Now to me, that seems really off base and I’m sure there is a loophole - because I can’t believe that folks who have Lemons that were purchased beyond the Louisiana border would all be screwed and without any such relief...

Super informative. Do you have dealer experience?
No Dealership experience on the level of owning, worked at or affiliated with any Dealership or it’s suppliers...

However, I’ve been through the entire CSR stage and the Ford Buy Back when I had my prior 2016. I did the entire process myself without filing any BBB claim OR retaining an Attorney. I have tons of detailed work orders from my 2016, every single piece of correspondence between me and Ford during the entire warranty repair efforts, the “compensation” paperwork (check stubs and 2 Ford plans).

Yes “compensation” given when I had my prior 2016:
1) 3 refunds for car payments
2) 45k Maintenance Plan
3) 75k Extended Warranty
4) Loaners for every single time the 2016 was in the shop. I think I had and drove every single new Ford product...

Hell, I even have the complete Buy Back package that is usually only received by the Dealership (whoopsy). The Buy Back “package” sent to the Customer does not contain the same (or I should say all of the same) docs as those received by the Dealership who is facilitating the transfer of vehicles and final paperwork.

I’ve also helped others on this site successfully get through the Buy Back process, because the process was never highly detailed anywhere, regardless of Ford product.

Now here’s the thing... the Buy Back process is not a simple task. It’s tedious, you need patience, it does not get resolved in a weeks time, the owner has to make sure to submit all requested docs and adhere to all deadlines. You HAVE to be well versed on your rights and what is owed to you based on your Home State Lemon Laws. Ford does not deviate from any State Lemon Laws at all. For those who financed the Lemon vehicle you’re not only dealing with Ford RAV but also having to deal with your Lending Institution for the existing loan - again some of those Lenders don’t know how to handle such a transaction, while others are aware and can handle the request very well.

If you’re professional in manner with speaking, emails or dealing with others and have all of the facts - anyone can get through the processes.

In my opinion, I believe Ford RAV prolongs the Buy Back “experience” in hopes that:
A) The Customer will just give in to the warranty work and back out of the vehicle replacement.
B) The Customer will give up and dispose of the vehicle in another manner (ie: sell outright or trade in).
C) The Customer will accept any type of “compensation” in order to make that Customer feel like Ford cares... and drop the claim to a vehicle replacement.

Ford makes money on every Buy Back - because not every State has the same Lemon Laws. So for instance in NJ once a vehicle is deemed a Lemon or has gone through such a process, that vehicle MUST have its title branded as a Lemon. If that vehicle is to be put on any Dealer lot in NJ, it must also have a label on it stating it’s a Lemon and it must be disclosed to any potential buyer that it is in fact a Lemon. So you’re asking why and how does this relate to Ford making money? Because Ford RAV controls and dispositions those vehicles after they have been turned into the Dealership. That same vehicle can be taken from NJ and auctioned or placed on another Ford lot in another State where the Lemon Laws are more lax, where the title does not even have to be branded and where such disclosure is not mandatory to a prospective cusomter. Even if the vehicle was in pieces for the warranty work, it gets reassembled and flipped. They don’t take these Lemons and crush them.

Members on this very site have posted their VIN in the Lemon thread I started in this very forum. These folks have confirmed that their Lemon’d S550 was turned around and found on another Ford lot after it was returned for a Buy Back.

Also for every Buy Back, the Dealership facilitating the swap of collateral where a vehicle is replaced or even where a vehicle is turned in and a refund occurs - that Dealership still gets money from Ford for facilitating the transfer.

Dealerships who have not been through the Ford Buy Back program are not well versed in the subject matter - they rely on instructions directed from Ford RAV. Ford RAV runs the show in such cases.

Any more questions?

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
BW5.0

BW5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
OP:
I guess that Louisiana is an exception State regarding the Facts posted that the vehicle absolutely had to have been purchased in that State to initiate a Buy Back or Lemon Claim. Now to me, that seems really off base and I’m sure there is a loophole - because I can’t believe that folks who have Lemons that were purchased beyond the Louisiana border would all be screwed and without any such relief...

No Dealership experience on the level of owning, worked at or affiliated with any Dealership or it’s suppliers...

However, I’ve been through the entire CSR stage and the Ford Buy Back when I had my prior 2016. I did the entire process myself without filing any BBB claim OR retaining an Attorney. I have tons of detailed work orders from my 2016, every single piece of correspondence between me and Ford during the entire warranty repair efforts, the “compensation” paperwork (check stubs and 2 Ford plans).

Yes “compensation” given when I had my prior 2016:
1) 3 refunds for car payments
2) 45k Maintenance Plan
3) 75k Extended Warranty
4) Loaners for every single time the 2016 was in the shop. I think I had and drove every single new Ford product...

Hell, I even have the complete Buy Back package that is usually only received by the Dealership (whoopsy). The Buy Back “package” sent to the Customer does not contain the same (or I should say all of the same) docs as those received by the Dealership who is facilitating the transfer of vehicles and final paperwork.

I’ve also helped others on this site successfully get through the Buy Back process, because the process was never highly detailed anywhere, regardless of Ford product.

Now here’s the thing... the Buy Back process is not a simple task. It’s tedious, you need patience, it does not get resolved in a weeks time, the owner has to make sure to submit all requested docs and adhere to all deadlines. You HAVE to be well versed on your rights and what is owed to you based on your Home State Lemon Laws. Ford does not deviate from any State Lemon Laws at all. For those who financed the Lemon vehicle you’re not only dealing with Ford RAV but also having to deal with your Lending Institution for the existing loan - again some of those Lenders don’t know how to handle such a transaction, while others are aware and can handle the request very well.

If you’re professional in manner with speaking, emails or dealing with others and have all of the facts - anyone can get through the processes.

In my opinion, I believe Ford RAV prolongs the Buy Back “experience” in hopes that:
A) The Customer will just give in to the warranty work and back out of the vehicle replacement.
B) The Customer will give up and dispose of the vehicle in another manner (ie: sell outright or trade in).
C) The Customer will accept any type of “compensation” in order to make that Customer feel like Ford cares... and drop the claim to a vehicle replacement.

Ford makes money on every Buy Back - because not every State has the same Lemon Laws. So for instance in NJ once a vehicle is deemed a Lemon or has gone through such a process, that vehicle MUST have its title branded as a Lemon. If that vehicle is to be put on any Dealer lot in NJ, it must also have a label on it stating it’s a Lemon and it must be disclosed to any potential buyer that it is in fact a Lemon. So you’re asking why and how does this relate to Ford making money? Because Ford RAV controls and dispositions those vehicles after they have been turned into the Dealership. That same vehicle can be taken from NJ and auctioned or placed on another Ford lot in another State where the Lemon Laws are more lax, where the title does not even have to be branded and where such disclosure is not mandatory to a prospective cusomter. Even if the vehicle was in pieces for the warranty work, it gets reassembled and flipped. They don’t take these Lemons and crush them.

Members on this very site have posted their VIN in the Lemon thread I started in this very forum. These folks have confirmed that their Lemon’d S550 was turned around and found on another Ford lot after it was returned for a Buy Back.

Also for every Buy Back, the Dealership facilitating the swap of collateral where a vehicle is replaced or even where a vehicle is turned in and a refund occurs - that Dealership still gets money from Ford for facilitating the transfer.

Dealerships who have not been through the Ford Buy Back program are not well versed in the subject matter - they rely on instructions directed from Ford RAV. Ford RAV runs the show in such cases.

Any more questions?
From my research I’ve consistently found that you almost always have to use the states lemon law in which you purchased the car. Where you live, titled, tagged, and paid your home states tax doesn’t seem to matter. If someone has experienced otherwise please correct me.

OP
OP
BW5.0

BW5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
Update. They called and said my car was fixed so I went to pick it up. Replaced intake manifold for second time which cleared up the misfiring but they didn’t even address the engine tick or the slight knocking sound I get in first gear around 1200-1500 rpm coming from beneath my car.
Sponsored