Catch Cans & Winter Weather

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I was ready to obtain a UPR dual catch can for my car but ... I've read that during winter weather the contents of the can and/or the hoses can freeze allowing combustion pressures to build up in the crankcase to the point of mild to severe engine damage. I realize that here in central FL we don't get a lot of freezing weather but we do get some. I use the car mainly for touring so I have and will experience freezing temps. The primary recommendation is to empty the catch can more often during the winter (due to more condensation during colder weather) but this doesn't address water collection in the hoses and any lines plugged with ice. Are frozen lines common? Do I need to use compressed air to flush out the hoses each time I empty the can in cold weather? Two of the UPR hoses have check valves. Will compressed air open these valves and blow out any residual water? Or am I worrying for nothing?

Thx.
Sponsored

2020Tang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang ecoboost
I have been running catch cans for years on all our vehicles. We live in DFW area of Texas and in the winter months it can drop below freezing. Never had any issues with frozen catch can lines.

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
Based on your location, I would say you are worrying about nothing.

I live in Missouri, where it can get very cold and sometimes snowy. My catch can (emptied every oil change at 5k miles) does collect a very small amount of condensation over that time in the colder months.

I am not super worried about this issue

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
Never had any issue with freezing of the catch can lines on my car. Even when it was -10 here in Michigan.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
I was ready to obtain a UPR dual catch can for my car but ... I've read that during winter weather the contents of the can and/or the hoses can freeze allowing combustion pressures to build up in the crankcase to the point of mild to severe engine damage. I realize that here in central FL we don't get a lot of freezing weather but we do get some. I use the car mainly for touring so I have and will experience freezing temps. The primary recommendation is to empty the catch can more often during the winter (due to more condensation during colder weather) but this doesn't address water collection in the hoses and any lines plugged with ice. Are frozen lines common? Do I need to use compressed air to flush out the hoses each time I empty the can in cold weather? Two of the UPR hoses have check valves. Will compressed air open these valves and blow out any residual water? Or am I worrying for nothing?

Thx.
If you are considering a catch can go with the UPR dual valve. I ran it on my ecoboost mustang and it did the trick of keeping everything clean. We are running 15% off all UPR products here at www.lethalperformance.com! Feel free to send me a message or give me a call if you have any questions and would like to talk 1 on 1. 1.561.753.8105 ext 211

Andrew@Lethal

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
From what I have read here and elsewhere, if your Ecoboost isnā€™t modded, you will get virtually nothing in the catch can, which is why the one I bought is still sitting in the box it came in by my bench. In any event, I donā€™t think you need to worry about freezing moisture in the lines.

2020Tang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang ecoboost
From what I have read here and elsewhere, if your Ecoboost isnā€™t modded, you will get virtually nothing in the catch can, which is why the one I bought is still sitting in the box it came in by my bench. In any event, I donā€™t think you need to worry about freezing moisture in the lines.
The catch can was the first mod I did when bought new in 2020. It definitely catches oil. I usually check it about once a month and there is usually about a table spoon or so of oil. Itā€™s not much. Even now with the mods I have done itā€™s about the same amount.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
While I will be storing my car over the Winter, I have driven it several times in freezing weather (cold, dense air is the best!) with a catch can and have zero concerns.

It would take a lot of water condensation, a lot, to fill and plug the lines, screen or assembly. I'd be more concerned where all the condensation is coming from. I've witnessed 1 tablespoon / 15mL of oil in the first 1000 miles / 1600 km, with zero condensation. Another factor in this is heat from the engine. If driven to full warm-up, heat from the engine should be preventing virtually any condensation from resting anywhere.

Buy a good product, install and maintain per the instructions and fuggetaboutit. šŸ˜Ž

OP
OP
Ecto1

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
If you are considering a catch can go with the UPR dual valve. I ran it on my ecoboost mustang and it did the trick of keeping everything clean. We are running 15% off all UPR products here at www.lethalperformance.com! Feel free to send me a message or give me a call if you have any questions and would like to talk 1 on 1. 1.561.753.8105 ext 211

Andrew@Lethal
Thx. I've gone back & forth with the UPR help desk regarding the catch can system. I'm convinced that the UPR dual valve is the correct choice. I just had the Air/Oil Separator (Baffle plate & PCV valve) TSB performed on the car in anticipation of the catch can. If things go well I expect to order a can next month. If I need any help I'll reach out and contact you. Thanks for the offer.

Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Thx. I've gone back & forth with the UPR help desk regarding the catch can system. I'm convinced that the UPR dual valve is the correct choice. I just had the Air/Oil Separator (Baffle plate & PCV valve) TSB performed on the car in anticipation of the catch can. If things go well I expect to order a can next month. If I need any help I'll reach out and contact you. Thanks for the offer.
Good choice!

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Support the hoses so there isn't away for water to pool and you'll never have an issue, It takes a lot to block a 3/8" hose with ice, if you have that much moisture in the pvc system you have other issues.
Sponsored