Sponsored

Cars you regret not buying

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I remember a non-running Pantera advertised locally in the mid 90s. It was cheap, maybe $10k or something. I didn't have the money, but I wish I had tried to get a loan or do whatever was necessary.

A ~1968 Bronco 302 for $1200 a few years after that. It was super rusty, but it would have been fun to fix up.

I also remember a couple Cougars for sale in the early 90s around my area for $2K.

I somewhat regret not buying a 19 or 20 GT350 when they could be had for less than MSRP brand new.
Sponsored

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
I've been one of those kids who've had a job since they were 13-14 or so, working full time even through college, I saw a 65-66 Mustang at some local non-Ford dealership, and drove by it for a week or two. Checked it out at night with no sales people around, and went home and did all the AOLing I could on it to find out it was made by some old lady named Carol. The price they were asking showed that they didn't appreciate it because it looked rough and used, because, well, it was a fucking 1966 GT350, I mean, wouldn't you?

Begged and pleaded with my Dad to cosign for it, my rate wasn't actually terrible, because back in the 90s, they'd give a $25k credit line to anybody who pretty much had an SSN. I could have made all the payments and had saved up and all that shit, but he kept saying I'd go race it and kill myself in it, and couldn't have that on his conscience. 25+ years later, I've only bought white Mustangs, and while they're many years newer and faster, can't see one without a tear wiggling out, oh, what could have been.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I had a chance to buy a Cobra in 1965 or 1966. It had been sitting on the floor of a small local Ford dealer for probably a year and they were selling it for $4400. That was a lot money in 1966 when you could buy a 327 Nova for $3200, which was a lot more practical and faster. The body was aluminum and damn near thin enough you could dent it by pressing with your thumb. So, I wisely passed on it. I think those original flat sided Cobras sell for close to a million dollars now.

I would have had to use it as a daily driver and I didn't have a great place to park it. Plus, I'd have to factor in how much it would have cost me to maintain it and keep it looking good for 60 years, so I'm not sure I lost out on much.... at least I'd like to think I didn't!

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
1930's Lincoln Zephyr for $700 in the 80's. It was sitting in a field for who knows how long. Had a flathead V-8 that looked good. Most of the body was pretty decent condition, but the leather "panaramic sunroof" had rotted away so long ago that the floor was completely gone. Would have been a lot of work but it was so cool looking.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
I was offered to buy a Lamborghini Miura in 1986 it was not running and friends brother was going overseas in the army. it was 2500.00 with spares, lots of spares.
I will be kicking myself in the arse for a long long time.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I had a chance to buy a Cobra in 1965 or 1966. It had been sitting on the floor of a small local Ford dealer for probably a year and they were selling it for $4400. That was a lot money in 1966 when you could buy a 327 Nova for $3200, which was a lot more practical and faster. The body was aluminum and damn near thin enough you could dent it by pressing with your thumb. So, I wisely passed on it. I think those original flat sided Cobras sell for close to a million dollars now.

I would have had to use it as a daily driver and I didn't have a great place to park it. Plus, I'd have to factor in how much it would have cost me to maintain it and keep it looking good for 60 years, so I'm not sure I lost out on much.... at least I'd like to think I didn't!
When I was a kid (late '70s, early '80s), my grandparents lived next door to a guy with a slab-side 289 Cobra and an R-code '68 fastback. I'm told he still lives there and still has the Cobra which is red (originally white), and it's one of very few built with an automatic trans. A few years ago he actually had it out at a local roll-in (that blew some minds), the one and only time I've ever seen it out and about in public. I'm sure its value has him terrified of using it, which is a shame.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
When I bought my 86 GT new I could have bought a 87 GN. Wish I could have gone back, I had no idea how fast the GN was :)
Sponsored