Cars you regret buying

jamus34

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mach 1 (on order)
Since we’ve covered all the other topics, who has bought the biggest pile of dogshit that they almost immediately regretted.

for me it was a 2015 Altima. My god I do not think a car company has fallen further faster than Nissan from the late 90’s early 00’s to the garbage they started producing in the 2000 Teens. I only leased that abomination and it actually sat the last 5 months or so because I was over miles and hated driving it.
Sponsored

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
'05 Chevy SSR. I liked the idea, the style, and the 390 hp LS2, but it was not very practical in the real world. On top of that, GM was having financial difficulties, and with only about 24,000 of these made between '03-'06, I worried about the availability of the specialized parts it might need down the road. I paid around $50k for it new and got a lot less when I traded it in a few years later. Pics are not mine, but this is what it looked like -
image.jpg
e2968bce97aa59931a7222c6b2f7b13b.jpg

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 Convertible
1999 Pontiac Gran Am..... as soon as it came out of warranty this sh$t became attached to issues.... a Christmas tree doesn't illuminate as much as the dash of that car... Kept it for 10 years trying to eliminate this illumination + 3 head gasket jobs.... impossible to kept trouble free... By far the worst car I ever bought.

Gfswindle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10
1995 Pontiac Trans Am. Traded a slightly wrecked 01 Mitsu eclipse and an ATV for it. Engine had shoddy work done to it with a LT4 Hotcam, aftermarket valve body in the 4L60e and 4.10's. Was a fun and decently quick car compared to what I was used to and I was excited as it was my first v8 sports car. Car looked fantastic but it was an Ohio car and was rusted plum out and I didn't realize it til after it was gone just how much I regretted acquiring it.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Biggest POS that I ever bought new was my '12 Jeep Wrangler Arctic. I didn't even own it a full year before I knew I wanted nothing to do with it out of warranty.

The transmission (manual) was the worst part. Seemed like it had 100K miles on it, with so much total driveline backlash that bridge expansion joints would kick off the cruise control. When cold, it would pop out of first and third gear sharply. Noisy too.

Beyond that I thought it was haunted. Occasionally if I rolled a window down it wouldn't go back up unless I stopped and restarted the vehicle (handy when the weather is bad). Random chimes would go off while driving as if an idiot light were coming on, but nothing was indicated. Etc.

Thankfully I bought it right and resale on them is stellar, so it only cost me a couple of hundred to drive it for the time I had it. I then ordered a '13 which had its own share of different issues over 60K miles, and was showing signs that something was amiss with the transmission (auto) so it got sacrificed for my '19 F150.

And here I am pondering ordering another Wrangler for a weekend fun rig because the Bronco situation is still beyond fail, but this one will have crank windows and no frills....

Jeep1_np.jpg

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I had a 1985 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z. For the times, it was pretty cool and performed decently. But, it had lots of small problems. The dealer had it as much as I did. They would fix one thing, then something else would break. It had a bad head gasket, cracked turbo impeller, bad distributor, dashboard wiring harness problem, AC wouldn't cool, windshield wiper motor quit if you ran it more than 2 minutes, etc. This was all in less than 2 years. Everything was covered by warranty, but what a pain in the ass.

1hotboss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
none
I have always had classic cars, I had a house fire in 2019 and lost the following 1) 68.5 428CJ fastback, 2) 1970 Boss 302 3) 1969 Mach 1 428CJ 4) 2019 Ford Bullitt

The fire investigator stated that the fire started under the 2019 Bullitt, so I would have to say I regret purchasing the Bullitt as I lost 3 of my "babies" because of her.

The other purchase was a 1967 Plymouth GTX, it was a beautiful car but it wasn't a Ford and I just couldn't look at it in my garage, so after 5 months of ownership I dumped it off

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
1996 V6 trans am There’s nothing good I can say about this one. It was slow it didn’t get good gas mileage even as a V6. Interiors where dated. Had traded my 88 convertible 5.0 for it and the biggest mistake I made. The 5.0 needed a top and I didn’t have the money at the time to do it. Should have just drove around topless all the time even in the rain. Looking back it would have been a better option.

xl_cheese

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
When I was in college 96ish, I bought a used 1984 Bronco II. That was when they were a carb with some electronic stuff working with it. That thing left me stranded too many times. It was a fun vehicle when I wasn't working on it.

I realized that by the time I had dumped so much money into it keeping it running, I could have just bought a new car and financed monthly payments.

A few years of owning that, I traded it in on a 1995 Nissan Frontier 4x4. That thing was rock solid.

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
2017 Ram Mega Cab Dually 4x4 Diesel. Bought it on a whim while at the dealership getting the oil changed in my 2016 Jeep. Turns out such a large and wide vehicle isn’t particularly practice for metro living. Traded it in on a F150 with my first coyote motor after less than a year of ownership.

Sponsored

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
2008 Toyota Aygo. NA petrol 1.0 liter, 3 cylinders. That thing could shake the living hell out of you and the 3 cylinder hum will get you an headache in less than 15 minutes.
Hated from the minute I found myself in it since when I traded that POS in for an all new 2014 FIAT Punto 1.3 4 cylinder turbodiesel. That was a big improvement.

Then I quit working for others, began working for myself and could afford the current cars.

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
1984 ford tempo, my mom bought it new and I got it about 7 years later and that thing had so many issues like cracked power steering. I built big arms just by making turns. Ac went out. Fan had to have a switch installed so it wouldn’t overheat. I ended up getting it stuck in mud and just left it.

OP
OP

jamus34

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mach 1 (on order)
Ahh yes those Tempo’s / Topaz’s were hot garbage. I had a neighbor when I lived in FL who had on and he left the keys in it 24/7 hoping someone would steal it. Never got any biters as far as I knew.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
OK, I'll have to jump on the Tempo band wagon. It was our first new car when we were first married and needed a commuter car for our Santa Maria to Santa Barbara commute on Hwy 154. The thing when passing slower cars sounded like it was going to explode and was a gutless wonder. I traded it in for a '88 Grand Am with the Quad 4. That's another story!

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
I was at work one day and my wife called and said she'd found a cool car for sale and I should check it out. Note that this was young and stupid and had too much free money and no common financial sense.

It was a (year?) Dodge Stealth base model, which did look cool but probably didn't put 200 HP to the wheels. It was also a manual, and I was driving in Chicago traffic constantly with a really stiff clutch. That thing was slow, so uncomfortable to drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and didn't handle worth a crap.

Kept it for a year and then traded it away. As I write this, I can't remember what I traded for, funny enough. But whatever it was, I was a lot happier.
Sponsored