N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
In America, PP2 is a $6500 option and only requires 301A ($2000) to be added. It also comes with 305 tires all around. There might be an error with the Canadian configurator, because a 265 tire would have a tough time even fitting on a 10.5" wheel haha
Yeah ur prolly right.. PP2 only requires 301A here too. Which is dumb dumb. Guess a PP2 with the base 300a woud be too close to the GT350 performance wise lol.
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah ur prolly right.. PP2 only requires 301A here too. Which is dumb dumb. Guess a PP2 with the base 300a woud be too close to the GT350 performance wise lol.
I think it's more of a case of "the base 1LE has all the 301A amenities, so we should probably make it a standard option on PP2". I mean, I don't mind it... how many people even actually WANT that calculator screen infotainment center? If the few ounces more that the 301a radio weighs matters that much, you should probably just remove the whole system

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's more of a case of "the base 1LE has all the 301A amenities, so we should probably make it a standard option on PP2". I mean, I don't mind it... how many people even actually WANT that calculator screen infotainment center? If the few ounces more that the 301a radio weighs matters that much, you should probably just remove the whole system
That's why I ordered my BASE GT with only two options forced on me, block heater cause it was a Canadian model, and all weather mats. Lightest possible GT you can get, and I'll take that $8500 and get what I want. Tuner used $100 Tune $100, CAI used $200, H-pipe $110, 19x10 wheels used $800, the other $7190 on suspension, tires + whatever else.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I completely understand dman's objection. Being required to purchase $2000 worth of stuff he doesn't want just to get $800 worth of totally unrelated stuff that he does is either a bald-faced cash-grab or tacit admission that the PP2 has a couple of shortcomings that need "covering up" via "features". I'm not sure which is worse.

Norm

OP
OP
saleen367

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
I completely understand dman's objection. Being required to purchase $2000 worth of stuff he doesn't want just to get $800 worth of totally unrelated stuff that he does is either a bald-faced cash-grab or tacit admission that the PP2 has a couple of shortcomings that need "covering up" via "features". I'm not sure which is worse.

Norm
Not to get off the subject, but I went to the Camaro build page a few months ago and was amazed at how many options were available ... its like a smorgasbord. I don't recall how limited those become when selecting the 1LE, but was rather sad to come back to the Ford site and see how tied we all are to packages versus being able to buy ala carte. I would have loved to optioned for Bremo rears, but yeah, well.

Sponsored

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
It’s 301a package, and really, I don’t see many people who actually want a mustang without at least 301a. But even at that, it’s still only about $800 more than a PP1 with 301a and magride
to bring this to a close, I used to be involved with producing Ford's internal corporate training videos. worked around Ford Racing and SVT. Ford has always been...
a little late with offering consumers technology and now, force packages to order other single listed options. in today's times of cost effective, I will always remember ordering my first Mustang in 1965. when the base order had been completed, they asked me if there was anything I wanted in "the Book"? a checkbox page and single option catalogue! lots of great add-ons and Shelby logos. they truly built "the car" YOU WANTED! my brother, buys Maseratis....cuuuustom.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Tuner used $100 Tune $100, CAI used $200, H-pipe $110, 19x10 wheels used $800, the other $7190 on suspension, tires + whatever else.
Man, I want to know where you're finding tuners for $100, custom tunes for $100, and OE quality 19x10 wheels for $800. I think your numbers are a bit hopeful there. Like I've said before (probably in another thread), I bought my mustang as one of the guys saying "I'll build my own for less money!". Sounds great in theory, but in practice, it doesn't quite work out that way

to bring this to a close, I used to be involved with producing Ford's internal corporate training videos. worked around Ford Racing and SVT. Ford has always been...
a little late with offering consumers technology and now, force packages to order other single listed options. in today's times of cost effective, I will always remember ordering my first Mustang in 1965. when the base order had been completed, they asked me if there was anything I wanted in "the Book"? a checkbox page and single option catalogue! lots of great add-ons and Shelby logos. they truly built "the car" YOU WANTED! my brother, buys Maseratis....cuuuustom.
I agree with this, I really do wish we could still build cars like this. However, it's not 1965 anymore, and this is just the way car manufacturers work nowadays. It's the most efficient method in terms of production.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Man, I want to know where you're finding tuners for $100, custom tunes for $100, and OE quality 19x10 wheels for $800. I think your numbers are a bit hopeful there. Like I've said before (probably in another thread), I bought my mustang as one of the guys saying "I'll build my own for less money!". Sounds great in theory, but in practice, it doesn't quite work out that way
USED items. Not new. Tuner is Diablosport, Tune was from buddy of mine at Kesatie Motorsports (highly recommend them). Wheels bought locally from a s197 guy.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
USED items. Not new. Tuner is Diablosport, Tune was from buddy of mine at Kesatie Motorsports (highly recommend them). Wheels bought locally from a s197 guy.
Hate to say this, but I find this hard to believe. Let alone, you're comparing used hardware to brand new OE equipment that you don't even have to install on the car.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2

Norm
Not following Norm. What features in the 301a/401a would cover up performance issues with the PP2 hardware?

I think Ford just packages these cars where they expect the majority of sales to fall to maximize production line savings. You think the majority of people adding a $6,500 option want a stripper car? It's unfortunate for those that do, but I believe they are in the minority.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not following Norm. What features in the 301a/401a would cover up performance issues with the PP2 hardware?

I think Ford just packages these cars where they expect the majority of sales to fall to maximize production line savings. You think the majority of people adding a $6,500 option want a stripper car? It's unfortunate for those that do, but I believe they are in the minority.
This. And like I said, if you're that adamant about a "stripper car", then you'd probably end up removing and selling all the hardware anyways, so it really shouldn't be a huge deal anyways.

I've never heard anyone get so bent out of shape about getting a 7' touchscreen in their car. First world problems, amIright?

Dinosoar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dinosoarmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT (Track Car Only); 2019 Jetta GLI
Vehicle Showcase
According to who? You? AT's and complexity and weight with the required RACING coolers and such, which all tracked hypercars have with there SEMI AUTO transmissions. Don't confuse the 18+ a10 equipt Mustangs as super/hypercars.
Yes, in my opinion. I will clarify....MTs are a liability in the process/technique, not mechanically. ATs are more of a technical liability/reliability...if that's your point, I agree. ATs include hyper car trannys as well as torque converter types in Mustangs, Camaros and other, yes. But, I ain't following your comment that Mustangs are compared to hyper cars. However, all my points made previously still stand in my opinion.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Hate to say this, but I find this hard to believe. Let alone, you're comparing used hardware to brand new OE equipment that you don't even have to install on the car.
What's not to understand? Some items I got used.. others will be new.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Maybe "draw attention away from" would have been a better way of putting it. Distraction.

They can save anything by adding unrelated content above base??? If that's the case, how does 'base' get away with being minimally configured?

Maximize profit, sure.

It just seems to me that the percentage of buyers not interested in up-level features would be somewhat higher among those buying specifically a PP2 than in the GT buying public at large.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This. And like I said, if you're that adamant about a "stripper car", then you'd probably end up removing and selling all the hardware anyways, so it really shouldn't be a huge deal anyways.
At that point a person might as well buy an absolute base GT and build it up on a DIY basis from there . . . don't think that this doesn't keep crossing my mind as a third option to a GT/PP2 and one other possibility. But it'd be nice to be able to buy a car that was near the top of the performance heap for the car model of your choice, where you'd only be upgrading the various consumables as they wear out. Without being forced to accept unwanted luxury and needless complexity to get into that car in the first place.

I've had to cope with enough unwanted features on some of the sedans we've bought over the years to know that I just don't want them present.
I've never heard anyone get so bent out of shape about getting a 7' touchscreen in their car. First world problems, amIright?
You just found the poster-boy for what I actively don't want in a car. My opinion on touchscreens isn't particularly favorable to begin with (I have my reasons), and it's lower still with respect to their use as control interfaces in a firm-riding car. I basically put up with the one on the printer that sits on the other side of the table, and that's plenty (feel free to read into this anything you care to . . .). Having spent enough time in my life looking at computer screens (and probably too much time looking at them now), when I get into one of my cars to go somewhere it's refreshing to get completely away from the damn things.

These days I'm on fixed income, so I really can't afford to be at the mercy of $100/hour shop rates for more things than absolutely necessary, and as technology progresses more and more of it lies beyond my ability to diagnose, repair, or modify. Nor can I afford to jump on the "get a new car before the old car's warranty runs out" bandwagon either. Let me suggest that similar concerns apply at the beginning of one's career and possibly at times during it.

Norm
Sponsored